Autopsy Rd 20 The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering isn't very defensive orientated
That means he likes to play the game on his terms
He won't be afforded that's luxury in the AFL
The game won't t adapt he will need to do the adapting

I don't know what "defensively orientated" means -his job is to help stop attacks from opposition and help start attacks from defense I think he does this job as well as anyone else bar Jones at the moment.

He plays the game on "his terms"

I think he tries to play the game according to his ability and instructions from the coach. He has also sacrificed his loose man interceptor role to Marchbank and Docherty - and has concentrated on more a support function playing 1:1 against the second tall as well as often running the extra yards to be a get out receiver when required. Lets not forget that earlier on in the year he was also asked to be the second tall and at other times was played on the wing. Definitely a team player based on actions.

"He wont be afforded the luxury in AFL"

More straw man babble - I'm sure he is very well aware that the typical AFL class opponent wants to make life hard for him, Rance pretty much tried to remove a kidney when he was playing forward.... - to his credit he has continued to play week in week out obviously less than 100%.One of the few first and second year players playing a KPP role to have played pretty much every game over two years - and that after serious injury last year coming back in quick time. The kid is a hard nut despite some facial expressions- judge his efforts in all contests not just the ones he loses occasionally. Also note that Weitering is pretty much the first to come in and support a player who has been roughhoused by opposition.

"the game wont adapt he will need to do the adapting"

He will get better and better as he matures physically and gets over his injuries.

I don't know what "defensively orientated" means -his job is to help stop attacks from opposition and help start attacks from defense I think he does this job as well as anyone else bar Jones at the moment.

He plays the game on "his terms"

I think he tries to play the game according to his ability and instructions from the coach. He has also sacrificed his loose man interceptor role to Marchbank and Docherty - and has concentrated on more a support function playing 1:1 against the second tall as well as often running the extra yards to be a get out receiver when required. Lets not forget that earlier on in the year he was also asked to be the second tall and at other times was played on the wing. Definitely a team player based on actions.

"He wont be afforded the luxury in AFL"

More straw man babble - I'm sure he is very well aware that the typical AFL class opponent wants to make life hard for him, Rance pretty much tried to remove a kidney when he was playing forward.... - to his credit he has continued to play week in week out obviously less than 100%.One of the few first and second year players playing a KPP role to have played pretty much every game over two years - and that after serious injury last year coming back in quick time. The kid is a hard nut despite some facial expressions- judge his efforts in all contests not just the ones he loses occasionally. Also note that Weitering is pretty much the first to come in and support a player who has been roughhoused by opposition.

"the game wont adapt he will need to do the adapting"

He will get better and better as he matures physically and gets over his injuries.
What do you mean except Jones?
Lol
Are you saying that in a packed and clustered defending gameplan the opposition playing through his man and allowing him free that can turn a blind eye,?

Bwahaha

Love to see him play in the guys plow gets matched up on week in week out

Hilarious

Lol
Are you saying that in a packed and clustered defending gameplan the opposition playing through his man and allowing him free that can turn a blind eye,?

Bwahaha

Hilarious
like a dog with a bone

Lol

Bwahaha

Hilarious

What a well thought out post!

Lol

Bwahaha

Hilarious
I've said earlier that JW showed some glimpses of last year's form on Saturday. After watching the first couple of contests I wondered why Jones didn't take Hooker when Daniher was playing in the ruck. It might have only provided a short respite but I think it could have worked. In the end, Hooker kicked 2 goals. Hardly earth shattering stuff. As a friend reminded me at the football, $800,000 for a Hooker is expensive indeed.

Last edited:
But no defensive intent.
Good defenders have that particular trait
That they intend to not be beaten in the contest easily
Because even if they don't stop the attack by the opponent
The pressure becomes perceived pressure in future
Nobody minds him being beaten but it's the intent to stop the attacker is what it's obvious eyes
Intent to take a hit, to block to tackle to spoil to stand in front of a pack

Weitering needs to lift his intent

Everybody gets beaten

Defenders are desperate and have a desire to not be beaten

Lol

Bwahaha

Hilarious

You might care to read previous posts on Weitering - and different opinions on how is playing and why ...
perhaps you already did and discounted them for your own reasons...

one thing I have picked up on in participating in this forum is that everyone is pretty much a fanatical supporter of Carlton and express their passion in different ways. you might like to reflect on the possibility that your view and your perspective may at times be disagreed with - all the bravado stuff is fun I don't minds or take personal offense - in fact I enjoy reading fair criticism and praise of players- I think you are seeing Weitering play under duress and also you are seeing a less than well orchestrated defensive effort from players supposed to be assisting

the fact that Hooker scored 2 goals but was able to lead into massive spaces and mark on numerous occasions says more about what Weitering's team mates and so called zone defense hasn't been doing - than Weitering - no defender can stop a strong lead into space - ideally there should be no space and certainly there should be more pressure exerted on the kicker who was able to kick to Hooker's lead...

btw - you will have noticed that teams have been exploiting the 35 meter space against Carlton for a while now- it was even commented on by TV commentators a couple of weeks ago during a game and made an example of not poor KP defense but poor team defense and communication.

But no defensive intent.
Nobody minds him being beaten but it's the intent to stop the attacker is what it's obvious eyes

Everybody gets beaten

I think you need to understand Bolts and his learning environment. Weitering looks like a guy who, as a junior, would have been see ball, get ball. Now he's being taught and getting experience in the art of playing on guys who are his peers in every way. As I said I thought the match up was wrong but there wasn't a great deal that could be done. I'm not sure which quarter it was but I remarked to my son that I had been disappointed with one of his efforts. He fell for the old three card trick of conceding before Hooker had completed the mark. It was something I spoke to my son about when he played. They might only drop it one in a hundred but never concede because it's great when you are there to make him look like a goose when he drops or juggles the mark.

Took my partner to her first game yesterday these are her comments this morning. Dagger to the heart. "Essendon were very impressive to watch, they position themselves well" "it wasn't even thrilling to watch because every time someone kicked it I knew it would land in an essondon players hands" "there were Essendon players by themselves everywhere". Difficult to hear, in my opinion, I love Murphy but I'd like to see a change in captaincy, can't really comment too much on team balance (seemingly far too tall) and game plan (slow pointless switch plays even when it is literally worse off because there is more opposition on the switch side, Malthouse boundary bs) because I trust bolts and there's probably a reason I can't see.
Well, there are plenty of fish in the sea...

But no defensive intent.

Everybody gets beaten

Okay do you think Weitering will make it? Yes or No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's made it
He's been drafted

But it's a number one pick

Did you think Menzel was going to "make it"?
Yarran?

It's about maximising isn't it?

It's about getting to elite isn't it?

It's not about close enough is good enough

Yes or no?

Pretty much. In simple terms Weitering has to show more than he has. No excuses....not age, nor height, nor a bit of an injury, nothing.

He can do better and Bolton will demand that from him. Why wouldn't he?

Levi is the bit part player of his time. He's a great contested mark when the elements are aligned. He's not a forward. He's not a ruckman. He's a 'get out of jail free' card. Handy but not crucial. He reminds me of a guy who played with Hawthorn and Richmond during the 70s and 80s. As a young guy I'd scratch my head and tried to figure out how he kept getting a game mainly in the crucial spot of centre half forward. In the end he eked out around 250 games and booted about 165 goals. Alan Martello and Levi Casboult have a lot in common. If Levi was doing this in a successful team he would enjoy the reputation of Martello.
Levi probably would have done well in the 70s & 80s also, when his lack of agility/mobility & ground skills wouldn't have stood out as much on the heavier suburban grounds. The fast grounds nowadays show Levi up when he is not marking everything that comes his way.

I note Martello finished his career in defence as his limitations as a forward eventually came back to bite him. He at least had the mobility to run with a tall forward whereas I wouldn't even contemplate such a move with Levi & this is one of Levi's drawbacks. When he is not delivering as a forward, you can't throw him into defence to cover an opposition forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back