Autopsy Rd 3 vs Swans. 19 point loss

Whose game did you like today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Believe because we kick along the boundary so often, our talls consistently need to push up to provide a marking option. Whereas if we utilised short kicks around the ground and through the middle as well as used run and carry our forwards would be able to stay in the forward line to provide that marking option.

Fair observation. We seem really intent on moving the ball forward. We don't seem to chip it around much or switch play a great deal. Perhaps our running is not up to scratch to create those lose options yet.

Do we think that playing v port in the wet and losing two players at half time might of had an impact off 7 day break. This week we get 8. Some of our players stayed in SA to watch the women too. I think this in combination with travelling had an impact on our performance on a tough deck like Marvel.

Glad you mentioned panic when ball in hand so many times our players when wrapped up in a tackle as soon as they pick up the ball are trying to find options that aren't there the ball spills out and the oposition just sweeps it away .
It is ok to stand up in a tackle without prior opportunity to force a ball up reset and try again .
Drives me nuts .
Agree with this. Many of our players seem fearful of being penalised for holding the ball, but there is one player, in his first AFL season, who has already worked out that he can stand up in a tackle & force a ball up. None other than Sam Walsh. I saw him do it on Saturday & my immediate thought was "this is exactly how it's done." Hopefully some of our other youngsters will learn from this.

I refrained from writing after the game because I didnt want to spew fowl and negative words about the performance. I still cant shake the disappointment. To be frank, we need a win and need a win now. That game was cherry ripe for the taking. Sydney are on the decline, were 0-2 and we were at home. We now play a side whos 2-1, could very easily be 3-0 and are playing at home. On confidence we will end up 0-4 and whats worse we gave up our 1st rounder this year backing ourselves in to perform. We lost to the Tigers when the game was to be won and they were down Rance. They are lost without him and that was winnable. Despite being on the road against Port they were down 2 players (yes we were down a Curnow) and we were in it come 3/4 time. Winnable. Sydney lost McVeigh and couldnt get Sinclair on the park when the game was to be won. We should have iced one of those games. Just one. Things need to change and change quickly. Bolton backed the boys in and gave an impassioned post game speech, but we need a win immediately. Immediately. We look immature out there and dont know how to get over the line. Forget "they are still young" and "they need time to gel" because if we finish last with only a handful of lucky wins and gave up draft pick #1 because we overestimated ourselves that is an absolute failure of the club, or Stocker can walk on water.

I refrained from writing after the game because I didnt want to spew fowl and negative words about the performance. I still cant shake the disappointment. To be frank, we need a win and need a win now. That game was cherry ripe for the taking. Sydney are on the decline, were 0-2 and we were at home. We now play a side whos 2-1, could very easily be 3-0 and are playing at home. On confidence we will end up 0-4 and whats worse we gave up our 1st rounder this year backing ourselves in to perform. We lost to the Tigers when the game was to be won and they were down Rance. They are lost without him and that was winnable. Despite being on the road against Port they were down 2 players (yes we were down a Curnow) and we were in it come 3/4 time. Winnable. Sydney lost McVeigh and couldnt get Sinclair on the park when the game was to be won. We should have iced one of those games. Just one. Things need to change and change quickly. Bolton backed the boys in and gave an impassioned post game speech, but we need a win immediately. Immediately. We look immature out there and dont know how to get over the line. Forget "they are still young" and "they need time to gel" because if we finish last with only a handful of lucky wins and gave up draft pick #1 because we overestimated ourselves that is an absolute failure of the club, or Stocker can walk on water.
TLDR but just remember Brisbane didn’t win till round 10 last year. No need to panic yet

Next week , we should put kennedy and silvagni in the middle, fisher and murphy to the forward pockets. polson and gibbons dropped. They both need an extended run in tbe twos. You just cant be that size and get a handful of possessions a couple of tackles and no goals, absolutely killing us
When your that small you just need to be lighting quick, great kick and tackler or we just get exposed big time.

To be frank this post comes across as it being only about your gratification. Totally ignoring all the signs that show the vast improvement in a group that is....yes, immature. How could they be anything else. A bunch of inexperience with a very slim core of older guys past their prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next week , we should put kennedy and silvagni in the middle, fisher and murphy to the forward pockets. polson and gibbons dropped. They both need an extended run in tbe twos. You just cant be that size and get a handful of possessions a couple of tackles and no goals, absolutely killing us
When your that small you just need to be lighting quick, great kick and tackler or we just get exposed big time.
No No No!! why on earth would we want to win a game of footy that's just going to get in the way of our development BIG PICTURE...

It's called creative license - you should try it.

My point is that we have made the same kind of mistakes again and again for years - terrible skills and terrible kicking in front of goal. This costs us time and time again and the players NEVER SEEM TO LEARN.

Concede we have improved a touch but the problem is the other crap teams keep improving faster than us year in year out so that we are always stuck in the doldrums.
No, it’s called exaggeration!

I know Levi has his limitations but he is a great contested mark and can be used as a long option delivering the ball to Charles, H and Mits. Relief ruck and also gives us some serious contested marking power

I know we are already too tall but I like CAS in the team for structure. Looks leaner and moiving a little better imo.

Casboult gets some unwarranted criticism. He aint perfect, but he is not a liability.

Biggest problem is that every week McKay looks more and more like a player who wants to (and can) dominate the scoring part of the forward 50 from the goal square and 30 degrees either side out to the 50. And last week notwithstanding, he is a beautiful kick.

Unfortunately Casboult wants to operate in the central corridor 20-40 out, and that is exactly the area Mackay needs left vacant to move into. We end up with Casboult (and his opponent) getting in Harry's way. And Casboult is not a beautiful kick.

At this stage the effectiveness of Mackay and Casboult in the same forward line is considerably less than the sum of their individual abilities.

Last edited:
Thy, I needed to vent in a safe place. Like screaming into an online pillow 😂

We all need to remember we're here to support one another, not tear each other apart. We all want the same thing - a successful Carlton FC.

I feel your frustration and share it too.

We DEFINITELY are better this year, but the team really needs to get a result or two to feel it, I think - the risk is heads drop, pressure mounts, confidence gets eroded and progress halts.

We all need to remember we're here to support one another, not tear each other apart. We all want the same thing - a successful Carlton FC.

We DEFINITELY are better this year, but the team really needs to get a result or two to feel it, I think - the risk is heads drop, pressure mounts, confidence gets eroded and progress halts.
Well said Faz

One thing I liked from this game is that there were three or four goals worthy of the highlight reel (McGovern, Murph, and Curnow)

In my opinion/recollection, this hasnt happened since we had Garlett and Betts in the team

To me it says the players have been given a license to take a chance.

I can just imagine the coaching panel... take a chance take a chance take a chance take a chance take a chance.. that's all I ask of you

CharmingUnrulyIrishredandwhitesetter-size_restricted.gif

Casboult gets some unwarranted criticism. He aint perfect, but he is not a liability.

Biggest problem is that every week McKay looks more and more like a player who wants to (and can) dominate the scoring part of the forward 50 from the goal square and 30 degrees either side out to the 50. And last week notwithstanding, he is a beautiful kick.

Unfortunately Casboult wants to operate in the central corridor 20-40 out, and that is exactly the area Mackay needs left vacant to move into. We end up with Casboult (and his opponent) getting in Harry's way. And Casboult is not a beautiful kick.

At this stage the effectiveness of Mackay and Casboult in the same forward line is considerably less than the sum of their individual abilities.

It is the same issue with McGovern on field as well- that corridor is every marking forwards 'happy place'. Which is why I guess a lot of team are now going in with one genuine power forward and five mid to smalls - making space or creating overlaps. The way around it is genuine team play and entry strategies and tactics - but the players need to have a footy brain to do that - which isn't Levi's strong suit.

Still - I'd rather have Levi taking second ruck duties than risking Harry's skinny runners legs against some seasoned rucks - that is just a waste of talent at this stage. Play Levi as a HFF - he is a better kick from 40 meters out than closer in.

It is the same issue with McGovern on field as well- that corridor is every marking forwards 'happy place'. Which is why I guess a lot of team are now going in with one genuine power forward and five mid to smalls - making space or creating overlaps. The way around it is genuine team play and entry strategies and tactics - but the players need to have a footy brain to do that - which isn't Levi's strong suit.

That's a bit harshly stated. I would have put it as "one trick pony"; which I guess is also harsh. Levi has a great ability to find the approach route to get a clear run at a pack mark, and the hands to make it happen, and is a serviceable second ruck. Don't think he is ever going to add to that skill set.

Love the bloke's endeavor though. Hits it hard every time - and I remember early in his career he came into the side mid season after an extended injury lay off and ended up having to ruck 3&1/2 quarters on his own. Best example of gut running I have ever seen.

Don't agree with him playing high on the flank though. He's going to be exposed to a lot more one on ones, and when he doesn't take the mark the opposition is getting pretty much uncontested ground ball on or around the 50. Goal coming up.

The inability to kick 100 points in decades is telling that the 4th year coach isn't good enough...

Just mull that one over folks.

ILP, just take a deep breath mate. Sydney might finish bottom four, but may do what they've done recently and go from 0-2 to finals. They're a solid, disciplined outfit who have been bringing in talented youth year-on-year while still retaining a core of quality, experienced leaders.

Our problem, and it will likely continue to present for a while yet, is an inability to put together 4 quarters where we either beat the opposition of break even. Hell, we don't need to have four quarters, if we can win two and halve a third, we should win the game. At the moment we can usually win a quarter, halve one, but the last couple let us down. Part of that is because our young team is still working to bed down our own gameplan, let alone learn to adjust on the fly and match sides with a core of players who have been playing together for years. In modern footy, if you get it wrong for 5 minutes, you're three goals down. If a young player gets lost in the contest and lets their man out into space, an experienced side will pounce and punish them for it.

It'll come. We'll continue to learn from the mistakes our players make, the coaches will continue to learn who they can ask to do what and how effectively they will do it. Every year the bulk of our players are getting fitter and stronger, and very few of them are playing at their best.

We have improved coming into this year. It hasn't generated a win yet, but within games we're looking better for longer. We still let ourselves down at times, but those times will become fewer and further between, and we'll learn to better limit how much they hurt.

If you'd said to me during the preseason that we'd lose games to the premiership favourites, Port Adelaide in Adelaide, and the perennial finalists Sydney, I'd have said "Yep, fair enough". Losing to GC this week would suck, for sure, but let's just wait and see on that, shall we. Gold Coast have won their last two games by 3 and 5 points, and lost in round one by a point. We've played against better opposition than them, and been in the game.
Thank you BB. That is a nice calm and measured summary of our situation.
I am feeling more ZEN now. What you say is absolutely true.
I think many Carlton supporters are just so hungry for any success.
Has been a looooooooong wait! Fingers crossed we can beat GC.

My sentiments exactly although you articulated it in a calm, rational, adult style manner whilst I had a child like tantrum.

Back