Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We improve once finals are off the radar and the media stops talking about us (because we become irrelevant for the season)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Well we where in the 8 last week but yep, couldn't agree more. The opposition pressure is also released, as they know it's a run in the park for them by then. So flowering sad.

You don’t know how religiously someone has supported the club so this is an unfair comment.

I’m 29 and haven’t seen a premiership (was too young to remember 95). I’ve gone through entirety of my life with this club being crap. Ive paid my membership every year. I’ve attended every game (a lot interstate too). And I’ve never once left a game early, ever. I remember sitting there in 2004 at Telstra Dome when Saints kicked 198 points against us and I stayed until the final siren because that’s what you should do. The bad times make the good time seven sweeter.

16 years later with a good list (on paper) and I’m still waiting. Enough is enough. I didn’t go last week and I won’t go again this week. I’m sick of being so heavily invested in a club and getting no enjoyment in return. I will start parting ways with my hard/earned $ again when they show me it’s actually going somewhere. Until then, why should I continue to bother.

I simply don’t care how this makes me look - I’ve been more than loyal.
I was responding to a post that basically said "I buy memberships, I won't go till they're better".

Perhaps I could have phrased it better.

If not Fairweather, how would you describe it?

Way too early for that.

Just send him back to the VFL and play him on a wing

Problem is we’re lacking CFC defenders in the VFL line-up. Parks, Willo & Stocker the solitary “senior” head in the backline.

BOG as well when he went back for his 1 game, which didn’t auger well for his return, as a defender. Wing it is preferably but there’s plenty of mids trying to get a kick in the VFL; Setterfield, Stocker (def), Cuningham, Ramsay, Philp, LOB, with Dow, Carroll returning.

I was responding to a post that basically said "I buy memberships, I won't go till they're better".

Not Fairweather - in pain, tired, disappointed.

There's some element in my eyes in the supporter club relationship that is akin to the relationship between spoilt child and parent. Spoilt kid keeps getting poor behaviour reinforced by parents who can't say no. Doesn't work out well for the kid long term.

Club keeps getting supported even whilst cocking up etc etc you can see where that's going. I don't think it's fair to call someone fairweathered for making the hard decision to not support the football club they (most likely) love. I dunno though, anyone posting on a footy forum is probably quite emotionally invested in the club. Regardless of how they express that emotion.

Put it this way... we've got 80k members and about 25k of them turned up on Saturday...

These people that don't want to go to games are not fairweather supporters, they're fed up.

I can tell you right now, not sure if you were there on Saturday but the Carlton supporters were broken. There's no anger anymore, it's just an acceptance that we're getting more of the same and a feeling of we're going nowhere. The faces were that of people who were emotionally drained and over it.

Can't blame people for not turning up when the players don't...

Someone who is fed up will pull the pin and not look back.

The impression I got was that they'd be happy to jump back on board when the team starts to win again. Happy to demand finals tickets but not to actually support the team along the journey.

Perhaps fickle maybe have been more apt.

Maybe I misread or misunderstood the post or the meaning they were trying to convey.

Put it this way... we've got 80k members and about 25k of them turned up on Saturday...

These people that don't want to go to games are not fairweather supporters, they're fed up.

I can tell you right now, not sure if you were there on Saturday but the Carlton supporters were broken. There's no anger anymore, it's just an acceptance that we're getting more of the same and a feeling of we're going nowhere. The faces were that of people who were emotionally drained and over it.

Can we blame the players for phoning it in if the members don't turn up? For doing just enough to get a game?

It's a job for most of them. The whole blood, sweat and tears thing is past.

Most of the playing group will only be with us for a few years, while members or supporters do it for decades.

If we aren't invested, why should they be?

The way I see it, if we want to demand better from them, we should demand better from EVERY stakeholder. Supporters and members included.

To me that means turning up and making noise. Actually support the the team. That means more than buying bloody raffle tickets.

I guess my view of the relationship not everyone's cup of tea.

If I want to get more from the players, it means I've also got to give more.

Can we blame the players for phoning it in if the members don't turn up? For doing just enough to get a game?

It's a job for most of them. The whole blood, sweat and tears thing is past.

Most of the playing group will only be with us for a few years, while members or supporters do it for decades.

If we aren't invested, why should they be?

The way I see it, if we want to demand better from them, we should demand better from EVERY stakeholder. Supporters and members included.

To me that means turning up and making noise. Actually support the the team. That means more than buying bloody raffle tickets.

I guess my view of the relationship not everyone's cup of tea.

If I want to get more from the players, it means I've also got to give more.

We have turned up. For years.

The numbers for the Tigers and Pies games were significant given the circumstances. 80k members shows that we've backed them.

I'm tired of these excuses. If these players feel like they aren't getting supported enough they can get stuffed.

Your views are very noble, but I highly doubt having more supporters at the G' will help them hit targets, stick tackles, get numbers to contests and run both ways.

Personally, I think people who are paying the club have earned the right to be conditional, if they so choose. People who are being paid by the club do not.

Besides, there is false equivalency galore here. If a bunch of supporters decide that following Carlton with all their heart and soul is all too hard right now, it doesn’t really matter that much. If a bunch of players decide that playing for Carlton with everything they’ve got is all too hard right now, the team and the club is fundamentally screwed.

That’s the responsibility you take on when you sign a six-figure contract. You cannot be conditional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t know how religiously someone has supported the club so this is an unfair comment.

I’m 29 and haven’t seen a premiership (was too young to remember 95). I’ve gone through entirety of my life with this club being crap. Ive paid my membership every year. I’ve attended every game (a lot interstate too). And I’ve never once left a game early, ever. I remember sitting there in 2004 at Telstra Dome when Saints kicked 198 points against us and I stayed until the final siren because that’s what you should do. The bad times make the good time seven sweeter.

16 years later with a good list (on paper) and I’m still waiting. Enough is enough. I didn’t go last week and I won’t go again this week. I’m sick of being so heavily invested in a club and getting no enjoyment in return. I will start parting ways with my hard/earned $ again when they show me it’s actually going somewhere. Until then, why should I continue to bother.

I simply don’t care how this makes me look - I’ve been more than loyal.
Pretty much this....
Started going from 5yo..( on and off)
Staunch supporter family.
'72 grannie was my 1st. I was too little to appreciate it. But the atmosphere stays with me.
Remember my Auntie fumbling for her lipstick in her bag and trying to put it on because she was so nervous and needed a distraction.
Took a sojourn away in 90's doing other stuff so missed that entire period.
Came back early 2000's when going through an illness. It helped so much...never been away since. Loved the team with Fev and Hoops and Kouta...Skinny Lappin etc.

One thing I'd say Kat...don't judge others for not going. Try not to at least...plenty here been going an awful long time.

Could be a good thread...sharing our footy history stories?

This would be me. I’m shocked at how little I’ve felt affected this year - can’t get excited with the team we put out there. Just sit there quietly watching things unfold, and it’s all so predictable. Think it will change if Cunners and Stocker are selected this week. There is still plenty of time for it to be a useful season.

Geez the North game? They usually give us a flogging the last few years and we showed last year we are no good against cellar dwellers (crows).

I'm away this weekend and the next home game is the Hawks game. Fair chance we'll have our new caravan by the and will go away. Next home game after that is eagles on queen's birthday weekend, I'll be away. Maybe the Adelaide game.

Are you the sort who goes to every game as if you don't have anything else in your life going on? Again, nuffy-esque

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

You have 22k posts on a football forum, pretty sure we are all "nuffies" here.

Have fun at the caravan park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back