Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like such a simple game plan the commentators mention kick it long and lock it in.
Does that give the players an excuse to not have a care for the kick the game plan sounds so simplistic to the point of being ludicrous there must be layers I don’t understand my sons under 8s have the same game plan

Where does the forward line coach come into that game plan how can he possibly set up structures leads dummy leads around bang it in and set up a zone
It feels like this should be last option not first option
It feels like the good teams have layers of movement in there forward line that creates free players
I’m hoping with McGoverns mobility we can create more easy chances

Did you convey this to your contact?

Not really, don't know them well, was an opportunistic conversation amongst mutuals.

On a positive note, Worsfold is a step in the right direction in terms of getting the coaching group some external experienced guidance. Not enough, but a start.

again disagree......We burn all of our energy moving sideways, instead of forward. Opposition teams then waltz through the guts and we have no numbers in the middle to confront them. It's why even poor scoring teams like collingwood score heavily against us. Port scored 15 -6 because their shots at goal were all dead in front last week
Burn all our energy chasing tail when we turn it over. We don't have enough numbers at the fall of the ball because we are spread to far.

Not really, don't know them well, was an opportunistic conversation amongst mutuals.

On a positive note, Worsfold is a step in the right direction in terms of getting the coaching group some external experienced guidance. Not enough, but a start.

Was pleasantly surprised at the Worsfold news this morning. Certainly indicates that the club is aware that the level of IQ in the box is not where it needs to be. I guess if I’m being honest it does concern me a little that the pre-existing (but unofficial) mentorship may mean that Worsfold isn’t as direct and/or critical as he will likely need to be. That said, maybe having a working relationship may mean that he can be frank and not worry about getting off on the wrong foot.
Either way, an experienced footy brain adding some advice is welcome in my opinion.

Uninspiring trite.

Speaking to a current employee of the club this week, there is a massive disconnect in what supporters are evaluating compared to the messaging within the 4 walls of the club.

Players are convinced that they were absolutely in the game against Port Adelaide the entire time, only wayward kicking for goal cost them. This is obviously the rhetoric from the coaching group, and is not entirely false given the scoring shots, but obviously there was a lot more to it.

Found that perception interesting, and it links well here with feelings of a lack of insight within the club and coaching staff.

Yep there is a bubble and nothing is getting in from the outside.... perhaps why Maclure felt he had to unleash.

I don’t just want to pile onto Teague, but those Stocker comments in the press conference have really annoyed me. I called it when I saw the coach’s VFL write up - they were laying the groundwork for not selecting Stocker, talking about his areas of deficiency rather than praising his efforts. Then DT mentions that Stocker may not be ready, rather than talking up the fact that he will play his first game in 18 months and that we are excited about what he’ll bring to the team. No, he has to pour cold water on it.
I swear, if Stocker isn’t in the 22 tomorrow night my faith in Teague will be at breaking point.

Yep its like our senior players are playing so well that there is no way anyone else could get selected at the moment. No pumping up those who could replace Eddie, Murph or Ed.

Uninspiring trite.

Speaking to a current employee of the club this week, there is a massive disconnect in what supporters are evaluating compared to the messaging within the 4 walls of the club.

Players are convinced that they were absolutely in the game against Port Adelaide the entire time, only wayward kicking for goal cost them. This is obviously the rhetoric from the coaching group, and is not entirely false given the scoring shots, but obviously there was a lot more to it.

Found that perception interesting, and it links well here with feelings of a lack of insight within the club and coaching staff.
I know you wouldn’t be running with this without thinking it through, genuinely concerned now...

I know you wouldn’t be running with this without thinking it through, genuinely concerned now...

This is where a strong head of football needs to step in and burst the bubble enveloping the coaching/playing group.

This is elite sport, everyone involved inherently believes they are the best at what they do and that their methods are correct, else they've already lost the battle. If there is a genuine lack of insight (which I am going with) someone senior needs to step in.

Uninspiring trite.

Sometimes when the truth hurts, people make up their own...

Uninspiring trite.

Most of the 'feelings' expressed in this forum regarding the game speak to the perception of lack of effort on teh part of too many players during the game - referenced back by many who felt that that was teh case as tehy were at the game.

My view - and it has been expressed here on numerous occassions was that a TV double view saw Port kick everythign from everywhere and Carlton miss too many eaasy set shots ( again)

The fact of the matter is that despite all teh sub par performances - the team ran teh game out and in teh end it was a 4 goal difference - against the best side in the competition atm - playing with a much depleted side.

Form there one has to consider what can be done to improve on this performance given available options and injury situation.

the conclusion is to improve pressure - which leads to thinking about who didnt pressure enough - which loeads to comments on Murphy and Betts and to also improve midfield cohesion - whihc leads to team structure and selection - which leads ( again) back to selection and coaching.

Allthe media hoo haa conveniently skates over St Kilda's woeful performance and Collingwood's performances - just to mention 2 Clubs - leaving aside the absolute SMASHING Essendon copped in wet conditions againsgt Brisbane and Sydney's fall from grace.

Do we have issues to deal with - sure same as every other Club has.

Is the season over?

Will the MC and coach react? We will see.

Never forget the herd factor an group think reality ion forums and media.

and as for messaging within the Club - I think it is a good way to keep spirits up in a week that saw the Club absolutely savaged.

lets see how the players and coaches respond - they no doubt will be feeling it much more intensely than any of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t just want to pile onto Teague, but those Stocker comments in the press conference have really annoyed me. I called it when I saw the coach’s VFL write up - they were laying the groundwork for not selecting Stocker, talking about his areas of deficiency rather than praising his efforts. Then DT mentions that Stocker may not be ready, rather than talking up the fact that he will play his first game in 18 months and that we are excited about what he’ll bring to the team. No, he has to pour cold water on it.
I swear, if Stocker isn’t in the 22 tomorrow night my faith in Teague will be at breaking point.
Got a feeling Stocker will be in the 22 but may play in defense to release SPS to a midfield role.

If this does eventuate it will be good for SPS but not so good for Stocker.

Got a feeling Stocker will be in the 22 but may play in defense to release SPS to a midfield role.

If this does eventuate it will be good for SPS but not so good for Stocker.
Stocker has that bit of mongrel and competitiveness that will be served well down there if he buys in, also the foot skills to help us as a team...

38 touches in the VFL suggests he may have indeed bought in, I’m willing to give him a run of games there to see...

Agree with a bit of the sentiment here; that presser was a bit flat and has tempered my expectations for this weekend.

I’m a bit on the fence with our coaching set-up (I think there’s bigger systemic issues around player development and the football department), but DT seemed a bit flat, especially when talking about an exciting young player that fans are keen to see get a run.

Anyways, LOB, Cuningham and Stocker in is my hope.
One thing Bolton did well, for all his faults, he'd be beaming if he got to talk about a young guy potentially making his debut.

Uninspiring trite.

They're lying to themselves and finding any reason to pat each other on the back then. Need a clean out.

He was going well in the midfield before they threw him back last week. Now Teague is using the fact that he only went back for one week to cast doubt over his readiness. Why does he have to come in through the backline? Why doesn't his previous midfield form help him to gain selection in any role? Why do we drop other players, then bring them back in a different role to what they excel at?

If Stocker comes in, it is due to public pressure. Teague does not want to play him, that is clear.
It's pretty horrible and shameful that a player won't be picked on merit and ability but rather by popularity or politics.

I was a massive advocate for chasing Wines last year and still feel this is the type of player we are missing. Stocker is the closest and only player we have of this type and he doesn't get played. It's a ******* travesty.

Now that we have our own VFL team and our kids are all pushing hard, there is no excuse for the match committee to keep playing older senior players that are poor regardless of kms run. Let's see some accountability from the match committee as well as the players.

He was going well in the midfield before they threw him back last week. Now Teague is using the fact that he only went back for one week to cast doubt over his readiness. Why does he have to come in through the backline? Why doesn't his previous midfield form help him to gain selection in any role? Why do we drop other players, then bring them back in a different role to what they excel at?

If Stocker comes in, it is due to public pressure. Teague does not want to play him, that is clear.

Because Zac Williams and Ed Curnow want to play in the midfield too...

I get the feeling they're not happy with him for staying in Vic last year.

The our way rubbish is what's starting to where thin with me .. I have no idea what Our Way is -- because we have been serving up the same inconsistent effort and style for a long time .. we have constantly bombed forward - hurried the ball to half forward to a turn it over and leave us exposed for the rebound -- blind hack kicks from congestion instead of being prepared to draw players and move the ball to space -- there's more but What is Our Way David please enlighten us supporters

Agreed. Looks like Stocker isn’t in the group of Teague favourites. I’m not doubting he has deficiencies in his game, but seriously look at the 22 who ran out on the weekend and the same can be said for most if not all of them.
The problem with Teague’s comments about Stocker just moving to half back is that we need reinforcements across both the back line and midfield. Don’t care if he’s only played one game back there, we can’t play Willo after last week. Stocker to replace him. If not across half back, then give him a go in the midfield. We’re light on in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back