Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see them dropping Murphy and despite his limitations nowadays, Murph is still one of our better users.

Agree Murphy is still a reasonable user despite his defensive limitations, Betts still had some spark

But are we just trying to make finals with these types, or playing/bloodying guys that will be around when we could possibly be a contender

I'm not so certain waitering plays next week.
How this week will play out...
Monday: Nothing from the club
Tuesday: Injury update - no mention of Weitering
Wednesday: Carlton release article saying Newman on track for return in 2-3 weeks and that JSOS's surgery went well
Thursday: Weitering ruled out

Rinse and repeat...

Wednesday: Carlton release article saying Newman on track for return in 2-3 weeks and that JSOS's surgery went well

Rinse and repeat...
You're missing the Saad announcement where he gets ruled out for 5-6 weeks.

I like this idea it could fail spectacularly but it could upset the balance of brisbanes backline. Kennedy can mark and can kick straight but perhaps his mobility might be too limited to offset his lack of height and Harry might not be mobile enough to play CHF. Does reek s a bit of desperation though. Gotta give Stocker a go soon invested a fair bit in him time to give him a crack.
Harry looks best leading up the wing .. and is actually a very good field kick -- but the way he huffs and puffs I don't think he fit enough to the just -- I alway thought he be CHF pinch in the ruck and CC would be deepest forward anyway ..

I've not seen much evidence to say its one way or the other. I start to wonder what the coaching panels response is to stats like being 18th in transition from d50 to f50. In itself not a good stat but it doesn't matter its the changes they implement from here. Which is why I think it's a touch more coaches than players at the moment. Just a touch though. We have a better list easily than many clubs we really shouldn't be dead last in any important metric regarding 'structure'.

Yeah the tactic we use all the time feels like the tactic that should be used situationally.
Especially when we had 75 inside 50 in round one -- we had plenty of practise 😂

Some will laugh, but we can win this. Play as we did last night though and we'll get pushed aside with ease.

No need for mass changes but the right changes must be made.

Out - Betts, Williamson
In - Stocker, Cuningham

Don't like being overly critical of our players, but there's simply no way Eddie or Williamson can keep their spot in the side.

I feel people have been overly harsh on Eddie at times over the past 12 months, but last night he was completely anonymous. He'll be back, but he needs a spell and he needs a spell now.

I love Williamson and it's a great story that he's been able to make it back, but he was awful last night and has been all year. Right now he is miles off the kid we saw flying off half back in his first season. Let him work through his issues at VFL level and not just via one practice match.

Don't particularly mind who comes in, but I'd go with Stocker and Cuningham. Stocker reportedly our best yesterday at VFL level whilst Cuningham has apparently had a few decent performances at the lower level with a concussion break in between.

Last thing. I'll be furious if we see Dow again play as the medical sub. What an absolute waste of a weekend for a young kid low on confidence who is crying out for opportunity. Would rather drop him and get him playing a full game in the middle at VFL level. We're ruining this kid and I hate it.

betts did a fair job compared to most. kicked one goal and set up 3 goals (? not sure if H slotted one of them).

agree cunners should come in but for murph.
Betts was next to useless. Couple of score assists and that's about it. Didn't bother the scoreboard. If that's acceptable performance for a player who won't be on the list next year then we are in real trouble. You could get a similar output from anyone else on the list. Players who we need to either get experience or see if they are worth keeping

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Rinse and repeat...
Thursday: Weitering and 2 others mysteriously out injured

Betts was next to useless. Couple of score assists and that's about it. Didn't bother the scoreboard. If that's acceptable performance for a player who won't be on the list next year then we are in real trouble. You could get a similar output from anyone else on the list. Players who we need to either get experience or see if they are worth keeping

Was very poor, but to be fair, he was a lot better than Murphy.

hang on lets get the facts right first.

he kicked one goal?

he assisted in 3 goals? these were all well composed passes (best option and accuracy in passing). something our players lack in spades. yeap he is getting on and is not future but he was hardly one of our worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he kicked one goal?

he assisted in 3 goals? these were all well composed passes (best option and accuracy in passing). something our players lack in spades. yeap he is getting on and is not future but he was hardly one of our worst.

He didn't kick a goal. Did have 3 assists.

Some will laugh, but we can win this. Play as we did last night though and we'll get pushed aside with ease.
I wouldn't have thought the consensus is we have no chance. I have no doubt we can play well on any given day but having the ability to do it consistently is the concern.

he kicked one goal?

Yep lets get the facts right first.

He didn't kick any goals.....and was very ordinary again. At his age, won't be on the list next year and is doing SFA, he doesn't get a game in my books. Let's see what else we have on the list

I think Saad and Weitering might be ruled out; however - if we ignore these and act as though we have no injury concerns I’d like to see the below:

OUT:
Newnes, Williamson, Betts, Murphy

IN:
Dow, Ramsay, Stocker, Cuningham

MOVE:
McGovern to HBF
SPS On-Ball/FP
Kennedy to FP/FF

Newnes -
He has been serviceable, yes - but his lack of effort was captured for all to see. It was disgraceful. He is a fringe player at best anyway and can earn his spot back in the team.

Williamson -
Dreadful. VFL form did not warrant a ******* call up in the first place. Make him earn it. He’s still got plenty of upside.

Betts -
Game has past Eddie. Manage him in 3 on 3 off intervals, form permitting.

Murphy -
Did not want to be there. Uninterested. A week in the 2’s, form permitting for another call up. Will not factor in our next premiership.

Dow -
Give him exposed form on ball, let him run through the middle and rest up forward.

Ramsay -
Form. Warrants. Call up. Reward him! On-ball, rotating down back.

Stocker -
Took the piss in the VFL. 38 touches, 13 marks. Rotate through the middle off of half back.

Cuningham -
Form warrants a call up. Rotate on-ball / half forward. Even a wing would suit.

McGovern -
Serviceable. Freak athletic talent. Reads the ball well but is suited down back. Playing for his career at this point, he cannot argue.

SPS -
Has played champagne footy on-ball. Has had limited opportunities to do so. He cannot use his creative ability off of half-back. He is far more creative and penetrating forward of the footy. Give him a crack and if the experiment fails, back to the 2’s.

Kennedy -
Strong, great one on one, great overhead, great size and is amazing infront of goal. If he can’t make it work infront of the big sticks, then he’s gone. Too slow on ball. Too slow for a wing.

These aren’t my predictions, this is just what I’d like to see. It’s radical, so I expect some of you to disagree. Just please don’t be a dick about it! Show me why I’m wrong and point out what I haven’t considered.

Agree Murphy is still a reasonable user despite his defensive limitations, Betts still had some spark

But are we just trying to make finals with these types, or playing/bloodying guys that will be around when we could possibly be a contender
We still need that little bit of experience and class. Betts at 34 shouldn't be keeping Cunners etc. out. Next year Murphy will be in the same position.

Williamson is so far away from it at the moment, Stocker the obvious replacement.
We're not going forward with both Murphy and Betts in the team, one out for Cuningham. At least gives us a chance to improve longer term.
Kennedy is not a wingman, either shift him to FF, Gov back, Samo mid, or drop him for LOB (or Ramsey)

What worries me with Harry is he has been exposed twice badly for his opponent marking and will and playing off him racking up disposal .. Moore and alir - balta went alright also but not as damaging .. he just doesn't seem to be a competitive best -- is he to fragile

Apparently blocks as well for McKay.
Betts is becoming an embarrassment.
He we are saying he had 3 assists and hence not that bad.
Had enough of this guy.
I did not renew my membership this and last year with nothing in return so I can watch Eddie Betts have 3 assists.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Saad and Weitering might be ruled out; however - if we ignore these and act as though we have no injury concerns I’d like to see the below:

OUT:
Newnes, Williamson, Betts, Murphy

IN:
Dow, Ramsay, Stocker, Cuningham

MOVE:
McGovern to HBF
SPS On-Ball/FP
Kennedy to FP/FF

Newnes -
He has been serviceable, yes - but his lack of effort was captured for all to see. It was disgraceful. He is a fringe player at best anyway and can earn his spot back in the team.

Williamson -
Dreadful. VFL form did not warrant a ******* call up in the first place. Make him earn it. He’s still got plenty of upside.

Betts -
Game has past Eddie. Manage him in 3 on 3 off intervals, form permitting.

Murphy -
Did not want to be there. Uninterested. A week in the 2’s, form permitting for another call up. Will not factor in our next premiership.

Dow -
Give him exposed form on ball, let him run through the middle and rest up forward.

Ramsay -
Form. Warrants. Call up. Reward him! On-ball, rotating down back.

Stocker -
Took the piss in the VFL. 38 touches, 13 marks. Rotate through the middle off of half back.

Cuningham -
Form warrants a call up. Rotate on-ball / half forward. Even a wing would suit.

McGovern -
Serviceable. Freak athletic talent. Reads the ball well but is suited down back. Playing for his career at this point, he cannot argue.

SPS -
Has played champagne footy on-ball. Has had limited opportunities to do so. He cannot use his creative ability off of half-back. He is far more creative and penetrating forward of the footy. Give him a crack and if the experiment fails, back to the 2’s.

Kennedy -
Strong, great one on one, great overhead, great size and is amazing infront of goal. If he can’t make it work infront of the big sticks, then he’s gone. Too slow on ball. Too slow for a wing.

These aren’t my predictions, this is just what I’d like to see. It’s radical, so I expect some of you to disagree. Just please don’t be a dick about it! Show me why I’m wrong and point out what I haven’t considered.
Great post
It's good to see someone saying good things about Stocker.
I'm sick of reading posts about his tank (the same knock that was on Dusty at the start of his career) premierships Norm Smiths brownlow not bad for someone with no tank.
Stocker a must in this week.

I really don't want to see Kennedy or McGovern out, unless they aren't fully fit.

Give them time to get back up to speed with AFL footy. McGovern down back and Kennedy full time forward could work too.

It's not like we have a shortage of players who deserve to be dropped.

I was at the game and as we know you can’t see everything there but it did seem like Kennedy was having a crack, making defensive efforts.

Has a big body, can bump / tackle (when fast enough) and doesn’t seem afraid of physical contact.

happy to be corrected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back