Prediction Rd 6 Changes v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The coaches and match committe PLUS the circumstances and the umpires. He is a 20-game kid still finding his feet. He carried a burden of responsibility, repeatedly expressed by many on this board wrt the sub-role, to come on and provide spark/speed/point of difference. That's a huge ask in a close match, away from home, in such a close game etc. Everything conspired to 'set him up to fail', that description is perfect. Not anyone's fault, just the way things panned out.
I guess my point is that it's in no one's best interest to have him fail and I don't think anyone at the club wants him to. But i agree that it seems obvious that he's not a great choice playing as a sub. I just don't know who he replaces though in the midfield to give him a whole game. I'm not even sure he's done enough at WAFL level to deserve a whole game. Possibly Johnno but that's debatable. Brodie is facing the same predicament.

I guess my point is that it's in no one's best interest to have him fail and I don't think anyone at the club wants him to. But i agree that it seems obvious that he's not a great choice playing as a sub. I just don't know who he replaces though in the midfield to give him a whole game. I'm not even sure he's done enough at WAFL level to deserve a whole game. Possibly Johnno but that's debatable. Brodie is facing the same predicament.
We are using the sub to either ease players coming back from injury (JOM) or reward WAFL form (Ras) neither of which is a good “tactical” use of the sub.
In some ways I understand the rewarding good WAFL form (36 touches is good form) but it really doesn’t help the player or team, just builds culture around reward for effort. I still think Brodie is the better sub, let JOM come back through peel on limited minutes and Ras play full games at peel to work on his disposal, so when there is an opening at senior level he can fill it.

Should we be worried this week? If we just rock up expecting a win we might get rolled. Think either a close loss where we kick 10.17 to 13.4 OR a 90 point win

In: Darcy, out: Taberner

Pending fitness:
In: frederick, out JOM or Erasmus

Unlikely, pending fitness
In: Chapman, out: Draper or Hughes

Without Darcy, Frederick and Chapman we are a bit stodgy, lots of mid-sized mids. Those 3 give us a better variety of body types and skillsets

For whatever reason some didn't perform. I believe Walters struggled to back-up (not his fault) Switta looks injured, Bana's looks better up the ground, Johnson didn't get near it etc etc. We had a mid come on as sub and he was sent to the forwardline instead of giving us legs in the midfield. That's all I am saying. We can't carry underperforming players every week because for whatever reason other players are going to have off days. Critical mass issues.
There's always going to be players having a bad week or two - look at Cam Rayner in our game compared to how he played against Melbourne. Carlton lost to Adelaide at home, following our battle with them, and now they have injuries.

Port had everything lined up to kill the team they played that round. Imagine if we had 4 of our first 5 games at home.

It was also hard to motivate the boys after the injustice of the previous week, and the media even agreeing we were robbed. I doubt the solution was a poster of Clark in The West.

There's always going to be players having a bad week or two - look at Cam Rayner in our game compared to how he played against Melbourne. Carlton lost to Adelaide at home, following our battle with them, and now they have injuries.

Port had everything lined up to kill the team they played that round. Imagine if we had 4 of our first 5 games at home.

It was also hard to motivate the boys after the injustice of the previous week, and the media even agreeing we were robbed. I doubt the solution was a poster of Clark in The West.
I agree there will always be some players that have an off week. That is why I don't want to carry players that are not performing for weeks on end. Critical mass.
I thought we were excellent against Carlton and Port fwiw .but no player should think they are guaranteed a game despite a string of poor performances, especially a young fella who hasn't even established himself as a bona fide player at Afl level yet and may be displaying a lack of urgency or possibly full engagement.
There is a chance he will come out and play a blinder. Just depends on how long you are prepared to wait. Would prefer to play someone with more consistent performance personally so it doesn't put extra load on the team who are trying their guts out.b

That part about Port is one of the reasons why I find it hard to get invested in the "AFL brand" overall. I didn't know that until you pointed it out and I find it shocking (but not surprising!). Even before the season begins, most people of rationale mind would consider Port more a contender than not, where's the fairness in giving them an advantage of that nature?!?! Like you said, if Freo had that advantage we'd be sitting much prettier. It's pretty rotten when you factor in how little Vic clubs also have to travel, especially when they play each other in the opening rounds and are fresher as the season unfolds because of it. Cards are really stacked against Freo overall when you consider they send us to Tasmania (just wait until they're a team in the comp..!) and even up to the Northern Territory where it's humid and greasy ball conditions - not conducive to the dry-weather style we're better at!

If Neil is going to collect the ball and make his first move towards his opposition then he needs to get bigger and stronger so he can drive off them or handball out after he has drawn multiple tacklers.
Fair call. I think he needs to get better at flicking out quick handball. Certainly it is a skill Serong excels at.

Neil is good at getting the ball just needs to get rid of quicker.

That part about Port is one of the reasons why I find it hard to get invested in the "AFL brand" overall. I didn't know that until you pointed it out and I find it shocking (but not surprising!). Even before the season begins, most people of rationale mind would consider Port more a contender than not, where's the fairness in giving them an advantage of that nature?!?! Like you said, if Freo had that advantage we'd be sitting much prettier. It's pretty rotten when you factor in how little Vic clubs also have to travel, especially when they play each other in the opening rounds and are fresher as the season unfolds because of it. Cards are really stacked against Freo overall when you consider they send us to Tasmania (just wait until they're a team in the comp..!) and even up to the Northern Territory where it's humid and greasy ball conditions - not conducive to the dry-weather style we're better at!
Did you notice no Vic teams played against Freo early on at Optus? We got Adelaide and Brisbane. Fremantle had to travel to Victoria for an early game, with a 5.5 day break. We would have struggled with the time difference. Now that dls has ended, the Vic teams are starting to travel...things that make me go "hmmm"

I agree there will always be some players that have an off week. That is why I don't want to carry players that are not performing for weeks on end. Critical mass.
I thought we were excellent against Carlton and Port fwiw .but no player should think they are guaranteed a game despite a string of poor performances, especially a young fella who hasn't even established himself as a bona fide player at Afl level yet and may be displaying a lack of urgency or possibly full engagement.
There is a chance he will come out and play a blinder. Just depends on how long you are prepared to wait. Would prefer to play someone with more consistent performance personally so it doesn't put extra load on the team who are trying their guts out.b
JLo worked with the boys in Adelaide towards building trust etc within the group, so he is going to be reluctant to mess around with it, unless he has to. That's why Darcy flew over and didn't play for Peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least the WAFL side should improve this week.

ROUND SIX INJURY LIST
Michael Frederick (hamstring) – test
Nathan O’Driscoll (knee) – test
Karl Worner (concussion) – test
Sean Darcy (knee) – test
Corey Wagner (calf) – test
Pat Voss (calf) – test
Sam Switkowski (concussion) – 1 week

At least the WAFL side should improve this week.

ROUND SIX INJURY LIST
Michael Frederick (hamstring) – test
Nathan O’Driscoll (knee) – test
Karl Worner (concussion) – test
Sean Darcy (knee) – test
Corey Wagner (calf) – test
Pat Voss (calf) – test
Sam Switkowski (concussion) – 1 week
Frederick in for Switta
Darcy in for Tabs (or not)

Changes vs west coast

Kick a winning score
Don't lead the whole game and lose the plot with 2 minutes to go.

Don't let Hughes kick into the corridor. Down the line son. You go down the line.
our best results were ones where we came from behind

we shouldn't have tried being in front from the start lol

I posted this before on another chat but this year we spend ~100 hours travelling so more than twice as much time in the air than on the ground playing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think likely minimal changes.

Probs Darcy, Frederick (for Tabs, Switta).

I think had Switta been okay maybe one of Jaeger/Erasmus. Jaeger to Peel and maybe Ras the sub again or Johnson.

But I'd love to see a Delean or Simpson get a debut - I know they've barely played WAFL let alone be justified selections, but with West Coast up and about after their 1 'heroic' win, I'd love to counter-argue that with a debut for someone - Cooper or Delean for some forward spunk, nothing gets the boys up & about themselves than an unexpected, exciting debut. "Welcome to the big league son, you're debuting in a Derby!". Makes for good copy. We did it with Freddy in 2020, and he scored a goal. So why not?! I think you can easily mitigate risk with West Coast considering where the teams are at trajectory-wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back