RDFL 2016 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Scrolling thru playing lists, points worth etc etc last night and I feel for you blokes who are obviously picking teams with a calculator this year.

Tell me, would it be likely that come finals a team may run out with 21 (or even 20) if it means getting near your best team available to actually run out. Reason I ask is a couple of teams seem right on the cusp each week with players worth more than one point not playing either injured, unavailable or being left out I assume for points or to save a few bob.
It would be even better if the 2 grand finalists teams agreed to play the best 22 they had and both be over the points what would goldfields and the rdfl do then.As I have said in a previous post come grand final day will the paying public be short changed and the clubs have excuses for loosing on that day or during the finals.

It would be even better if the 2 grand finalists teams agreed to play the best 22 they had and both be over the points what would goldfields and the rdfl do then.As I have said in a previous post come grand final day will the paying public be short changed and the clubs have excuses for loosing on that day or during the finals.
Can't be short changed if teams play by the rules this is a dead argument I is it true that 2017 will be a reduction of 4 points per club across all leagues can any one confirm this
It hasn't effected diggers rest on there points allocation undefeated on top and other clubs have improved out of interest riddle looked like a very young side are most locals and what where there points used Saturday and do they have points available also how is ruppo situated re same points situation ?

Can't be short changed if teams play by the rules this is a dead argument I is it true that 2017 will be a reduction of 4 points per club across all leagues can any one confirm this
It hasn't effected diggers rest on there points allocation undefeated on top and other clubs have improved out of interest riddle looked like a very young side are most locals and what where there points used Saturday and do they have points available also how is ruppo situated re same points situation ?

Reckon Riddell is a 41 or 42 a week job.

Broadford supporter at work today had the pen and paper out (so glad it's Deano and Skip and not this poor bugger he was doing his own head in) .... 45 of 47 used Satdy with 2-3 out he reckons, it's got me stuffed.

Rupo way under cap every week. Maybe we could implement a points draft - swap some coin for some points !

There were sides in Northen Victoria that played short early in the year because of the points system (20 to 21 players each week)and the it was bought to all the clubs attention by their league in that competition that all 22 spots were worth a one point minimum so it then became compulsory to name 22 players so no-one could wrought the system in place.
As for the point system you have to recruit carefully and being the first year some sides cannot fill their best team because they have to many players on points but it seems to be doing what it was required to do. That is it gives some of the local talent more of an opportunity to play senior football which i think all clubs have benefited from for the future and the supporters enjoy seeing the locals play as well.

There were sides in Northen Victoria that played short early in the year because of the points system (20 to 21 players each week)and the it was bought to all the clubs attention by their league in that competition that all 22 spots were worth a one point minimum so it then became compulsory to name 22 players so no-one could wrought the system in place.
As for the point system you have to recruit carefully and being the first year some sides cannot fill their best team because they have to many players on points but it seems to be doing what it was required to do. That is it gives some of the local talent more of an opportunity to play senior football which i think all clubs have benefited from for the future and the supporters enjoy seeing the locals play as well.

Must say I tend to agree re: the local bit - Broadford I reckon had 10 guys who are actual club juniors play on the weekend. For someone like me who looks every Satdy night how those I have coached (or been involved with) are going it looks a lot better than 6 ex juniors last year at times.

Always going to be teething problems but with a one point deduction from this year to next I'm sure the recruiting element and getting the balance right will be much easier.

I still say let 'em run out with 20/21 this year if it means the best can play and then in 2017 after we've had our ironing out period it's more cut and dry/

Looking at the current ladder and future fixture I think the final 6 is locked in with Broadford to jump from 5th to 3rd with Riddell and Rupo to drop a spot.
1.Diggers to finish undefeated on 64
2.Macedon 4 more wins 56
3.Broadford 4 more wins. 48
4.Riddell 2 more wins. 44
5.Rupo. 1 more win 36
6.Wallan. 2 more wins. 36
Sunbury to miss on 32
This would set up perfect for Broadford IF so.
Yes I may be wrong but that won't be a first.Either way shapes as a good run into the finals

Must say I tend to agree re: the local bit - Broadford I reckon had 10 guys who are actual club juniors play on the weekend. For someone like me who looks every Satdy night how those I have coached (or been involved with) are going it looks a lot better than 6 ex juniors last year at times.

Always going to be teething problems but with a one point deduction from this year to next I'm sure the recruiting element and getting the balance right will be much easier.

I still say let 'em run out with 20/21 this year if it means the best can play and then in 2017 after we've had our ironing out period it's more cut and dry/

Hey Doona,
The flip side is players will be in a better position to re negotiate when their contracts come up. That's my concern as clubs won't be able to afford to lose a good player who is maybe 1 or 2 points, as a replacement could be between 3-6 points.
I do understand the concept has merit but it does need to be reviewed IMO. Because if you keep resigning good players that are not homegrown it will have an affect on local junior talent coming up. I prefer to have a certain number of players under the age of 21/22 or these players homegrown under 21/22 are rated as 0 under the points system. It's great to have youngsters in your side but they develop quicker with experienced senior players around them, hence the need to recruit some ex AFL or VFL players.

Hey Doona,
The flip side is players will be in a better position to re negotiate when their contracts come up. That's my concern as clubs won't be able to afford to lose a good player who is maybe 1 or 2 points, as a replacement could be between 3-6 points.
I do understand the concept has merit but it does need to be reviewed IMO. Because if you keep resigning good players that are not homegrown it will have an affect on local junior talent coming up. I prefer to have a certain number of players under the age of 21/22 or these players homegrown under 21/22 are rated as 0 under the points system. It's great to have youngsters in your side but they develop quicker with experienced senior players around them, hence the need to recruit some ex AFL or VFL players.

She's a definite work in progress, again it's the club executive's (and coaches) who dictate the climate and have the last say so if they deem a bloke is worth X amount when another mob may not then that's the way of the footy world these days.

As long as we all realise that all we are playing in this is a baton holders role, whilst remembering the 100 years prior and hopefully the future incumbents too .... then whatever happens happens I spose.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it right that the total points allocated per team comes down next year? If so that is going to make it tough for some teams to improve their list I assume. Without looking into club lists recently would assume a lot of clubs have mainly 1 pointers on their list with half a dozen multiples, so no great result in keeping them, and you would definitely save some points with players dropping a point to stay at the club, but if you lost points wonder what the overall net impact would be on some clubs and their ability to recruit in talent. Same if you have had a gun player for two years who has dropped points for you, he could ask for a fortune to stay knowing to replace him your back at a 5 pointer.

Again, we all know that something had to be put in place for all reasons discussed to death, but interested to know what is the overall end goal? What is the vision of AFL VIC / Goldfields, in our region, is it to have the RDFL as a feeder comp to the Bendigo and Ballarat League, I hate that thought, but happy to have someone explain otherwise to me.

Is that written somewhere? I reckon we ran with 21 a few times last year, and I had in seasons prior too
In an addition to the above, the league rules are "The Senior competition shall be strictly an 18 player per side competition with 4 players on the interchange bench", which while a little vague means the league do have an avenue to take action against clubs should they play with less than 22. Having said that, I doubt they would take action if there was a legitimate reason to play with fewer players and not just rorting the points

Reference: The league operations and information manual 2016

Is it right that the total points allocated per team comes down next year? If so that is going to make it tough for some teams to improve their list I assume. Without looking into club lists recently would assume a lot of clubs have mainly 1 pointers on their list with half a dozen multiples, so no great result in keeping them, and you would definitely save some points with players dropping a point to stay at the club, but if you lost points wonder what the overall net impact would be on some clubs and their ability to recruit in talent. Same if you have had a gun player for two years who has dropped points for you, he could ask for a fortune to stay knowing to replace him your back at a 5 pointer.

Again, we all know that something had to be put in place for all reasons discussed to death, but interested to know what is the overall end goal? What is the vision of AFL VIC / Goldfields, in our region, is it to have the RDFL as a feeder comp to the Bendigo and Ballarat League, I hate that thought, but happy to have someone explain otherwise to me.
Points will go down - everyone this year was rated as if they had transferred in. I dont know what the final points will be for the average club, maybe low thirties. As for the 'five pointer' wanting more money or he will walk - He will be of less value to other clubs than 'your club', that's because he would still have his cash asking price, but he will use up more points at the destination club, which makes him less attractive.

As for the vision for the future of the RDFNL, that will come down to the big review that is about to commence, but the impression I get is that Goldfields see the RDFNL as a well run even competition. Their aim is to boost participation in football and having a good local comp is essential to that and I wouldn't expect much to change.

In an addition to the above, the league rules are "The Senior competition shall be strictly an 18 player per side competition with 4 players on the interchange bench", which while a little vague means the league do have an avenue to take action against clubs should they play with less than 22. Having said that, I doubt they would take action if there was a legitimate reason to play with fewer players and not just rorting the points

Reference: The league operations and information manual 2016

There is no problem playing with fewer players BUT every on the team sheet every position of the 22 team sheet is worth a minimum one point. If you play one short on the list the No.22 player is still a point whether they play or not on the overall tally. It has already happened in other Victorian leagues.

Great to hear the RDFNL is a well respected league, so the theory on leagues having different points levels (ie. RDFNL lower than BFL x 2) is???????

Im heading to Ballarat Saturday where I hope to strike up conversation with guys from clubs over there about all things GoldFields as I'm too a touch apprehensive about where some RDFL clubs (juniors included) may end up with the slow gravitation to the West.

Im heading to Ballarat Saturday where I hope to strike up conversation with guys from clubs over there about all things GoldFields as I'm too a touch apprehensive about where some RDFL clubs (juniors included) may end up with the slow gravitation to the West.

I see my old mate Joel west is finally cleared to rupertswood. Can anyone tell me how he went last week?

You wonder what the grand plan is or are decisions being made on the run. I have said plenty times I am not against progress, and improving the standard of the competition, but what is coming out of the league and the governing body re the future of the competition. Everyone is talking about it, everyone knows things are in motion, yet I wonder how much the clubs are being taken along for the ride. Still interested to know what the vision for this comp is, given it is being allocated less points than the other leagues per team, what is the grand vision for this league!! Is it being set up as a bottom feeder league or not? If so it would be a real shame and show that those making the decisions have not been intimately involved in the league and underestimating how powerful this league is in this region with its connection to its community and how hard many worked over the last 15 years to take it from where it was to where it is now. Concern is that clubs will start to act in their own right to protect themselves which I believe one club is in discussions with another league or planning to enter discussions with another league at the moment.

You wonder what the grand plan is or are decisions being made on the run. I have said plenty times I am not against progress, and improving the standard of the competition, but what is coming out of the league and the governing body re the future of the competition. Everyone is talking about it, everyone knows things are in motion, yet I wonder how much the clubs are being taken along for the ride. Still interested to know what the vision for this comp is, given it is being allocated less points than the other leagues per team, what is the grand vision for this league!! Is it being set up as a bottom feeder league or not? If so it would be a real shame and show that those making the decisions have not been intimately involved in the league and underestimating how powerful this league is in this region with its connection to its community and how hard many worked over the last 15 years to take it from where it was to where it is now. Concern is that clubs will start to act in their own right to protect themselves which I believe one club is in discussions with another league or planning to enter discussions with another league at the moment.

More than one club I'm led to believe AFLL, and again (I keep saying it sorry) our club representative's MUST really push the RDFL Board for some clarity shortly so we all know what our future's may hold.

More than one club I'm led to believe AFLL, and again (I keep saying it sorry) our club representative's MUST really push the RDFL Board for some clarity shortly so we all know what our future's may hold.
Do you think they are going to answer honestly about the direction of the league
I doubt it, the clubs will know once the big wigs have made the FINAL decision and then it will be too late

Remove this Banner Ad

Back