RDFNL 2019 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of other leagues this league needs to market itself well to sure up its future. It gets disappointing when you hear of teams looking elsewhere whether true or not as you think what is going to be left, some second rate comp noone will want to play in. It will then impact junior development to as more talented players will move to the stronger leagues at a younger age. For anyone aware of the junior comps they are in a very poor state, the junior interleague is poorly ran and there is a lot of discontent with junior footy in general so keeping the numbers up is always a challenge regardless.

Definitely serious.
The issue I have with Club 18 is that it takes players away from some clubs trying to put a reserves team on the park. It is sad to see Broadford forfeiting reserves matches yet Wallan are putting a second reserves team on the field. I know of a young bloke who was named emergency in the reserves for Kilmore earlier this year and wasn't happy and requested a transfer to Broadford, then changed his clearance to go and play Club 18 at Craigieburn. How can Broadford field a reserves team when they are competing with Club 18?

Last edited:
The issue I have with Club 18 is that it takes players away from some clubs trying to put a reserves team on the park. It is sad to see Broadford forfeiting reserves matches yet Wallan are putting a second reserves team on the field. I know of a young bloke who was named emergency in the reserves for Kilmore earlier this year and wasn't happy and requested a transfer to Broadford, then changed his clearance to go and play Club 18 at Craigieburn. How can Broadford field a reserves team when they are competing with Club 18?

Hmmm, how to answer without offending anyone.

Wallan have a Club 18 side because people want to play there.

That's a far cry from 4 years ago when all and sundry told my son he was lowering himself to go to a club like Wallan and he would set his footy back 10 years. Maybe Wallan deserve a bit of credit for creating a culture people want to be part of and no, I'm not saying that wasn't the case before, or that doesn't exist at Broadford because I have no idea what it was like at either place.

Is it fair? I don't know, but footballers and netballers want to play there and the work done by Committee, Daniel and Chris James is something to be proud of, not frowned upon.

Would those blokes still go to Broadford if there was no Club 18 comp? Probably not.

Last edited:

That's a far cry from 4 years ago when all and sundry told my son he was lowering himself to go to a club like Wallan and he would set his footy back 10 years. Maybe Wallan deserve a bit of credit for creating a culture people want to be part of and no, I'm not saying that wasn't the case before, or that doesn't exist at Broadford because I have no idea what it was like at either place.

Is it fair? I don't know, but footballers and netballers want to play there and the work done by Committee, Daniel and Chris Cameron is something to be proud of, not frowned upon.

Would those blokes still go to Broadford if there was no Club 18 comp? Probably not.
I whole heartedly agree .. I'm a big fan of Club 18 football because it provides another social platform for guys to play football with less commitment.. and get the chance to play on Friday nights in a more social environment. It also gives a chance for some people who may not have the best skills to have a run with their club.

It is a reflection of the club culture. If you have created an environment where people want to come to your club to get involved..that's fantastic. I know of a few clubs in recent years where they have too many players to select from to play Reserves football and it provides an opportunity to still play and represent their club.

Not everyone has the commitment to train twice a week and play most weekends.. Club 18s changes that.

I do understand the argument of why Club 18s draws from the playing pool of guys that can potentially play Reserves football like Broadford or Rockbank who lack those sorts of numbers.. but you can't force people to go and play for a club that they don't want to, and I think it's great that guys can still get a game of footy in with the club that they love. It's a better system than the juniors where if you're a club that fields its maximum two teams and have more than a dozen kids left over that have to find other clubs to play for.. at least here, when these two Senior teams are filled, clubs have the option of adding another.

Choices, Actions = Outcomes.
Surround yourself with good people and good things (in time) can happen.
Wallan doing a lot right at present, so yeh people want to flock there. Wasn't that long ago, the knobs on the hill far wing made it an unpleasant place to go on a Satdy arvo ... how times change.

It will then impact junior development to as more talented players will move to the stronger leagues at a younger age. For anyone aware of the junior comps they are in a very poor state, the junior interleague is poorly ran and there is a lot of discontent with junior footy in general so keeping the numbers up is always a challenge regardless.
Junior Football battling everywhere, the RDFL aint on their own here.
Hard thing for the RDFL is the amount of rep standard kids available to have in squads comapred to neighbouring leagues the go up against.

Clubs and club coaches need to be aware of what kids might possess something "above standard" and how you have them ready should an opportunity present. Your junior development officer or coaching co-ordinator should be able to utilise Rob Beatson, I still reach out now and my club comeptes in another comp.

I'm assuming AFLL you've been involved before (like I have) to be able to now compare and say it's poorly run.
As long as it don't return to full on club nominations I'm sure things can correct itself, but it starts at clubland and how kids are taught.
We all know how the club noms end - 30 midfielders for a squad of 35, no balance in terms of height to allow a game of development footy to actually flow, not to mention the amount of coaches kids, committee members kids who all get a gig regardless of the skill level they're at.

The amount of parents you hear comment how little Johny "didn't learn anything" from a rep prorgam astounds me ... just maybe little Johnny wasn't quite ready to be in that environment.

Last edited:
Junior Football battling everywhere, the RDFL aint on the own here.
Hard thing for the RDFL is the amount of rep standard kids available to have in squads comapred to neighbouring leagues the go up against.

Clubs and club coaches need to be aware of what kids might possess something "above standard" and how you have them ready should an opportunity present. Your junior development officer or coaching co-ordinator should be able to utilise Rob Beatson, I still reach out now and my club comeptes in another comp.

I'm assuming AFLL you've been involved before (like I have) to be able to now compare and say it's poorly run.
As long as it don't return to full on club nominations I'm sure things can correct itself, but it starts at clubland and how kids are taught.
We all know how the club noms end - 30 midfielders for a squad of 35, no balance in terms of height to allow a game of development footy to actually flow, not to mention the amount of coaches kids, committee members kids who all get a gig regardless of the skill level they're at.

The amount of parents you hear comment how little Johny "didn't learn anything" from a rep prorgam astounds me ... just maybe little Johnny wasn't quite ready to be in that environment.

Plus the fact we see coaches that are biased to players from their own team.
I watched with my own eyes this year and was horrified at the skill level and lack of game sense of some of the kids selected. With so many one sided contests on weekends in Jnr football many of these so called better kids struggle when put under pressure of reasonable opposition.

Plus the fact we see coaches that are biased to players from their own team.
I watched with my own eyes this year and was horrified at the skill level and lack of game sense of some of the kids selected. With so many one sided contests on weekends in Jnr football many of these so called better kids struggle when put under pressure of reasonable opposition.

I must say as a spectator at the first RDFL Vic Metro U15 game, the amount of kids from one RDFL club alone in the squad was astounding.
Actual game sense, the ability to win one's own football, laying/breaking pressure and what our players are doing when they don't have the ball must become the focus' at club level before anything else.
Oppo Coaches please get your heads together before games if need be, identify match ups to allow games to flow, lesser likes against lesser likes etc etc.

I had a go at local Under 16's footy a few years back, basically to break the mould of "dads" doing top age, and would like to think I had a good relationship with Peaky at Gisborne, Adam from rupo, Both Melton coaches and so on, some weeks we even chatted Friday nights about numbers, how our games might look etc. If we only had 18 we'd drop the wings to allow some repsite on the bench and open the games up ... afterall it's not about the coaches, it's about educating kids so that they hopefully want to keep playing football wherever life takes them.

Last edited:
I whole heartedly agree .. I'm a big fan of Club 18 football because it provides another social platform for guys to play football with less commitment.. and get the chance to play on Friday nights in a more social environment. It also gives a chance for some people who may not have the best skills to have a run with their club.

It is a reflection of the club culture. If you have created an environment where people want to come to your club to get involved..that's fantastic. I know of a few clubs in recent years where they have too many players to select from to play Reserves football and it provides an opportunity to still play and represent their club.

Not everyone has the commitment to train twice a week and play most weekends.. Club 18s changes that.

I do understand the argument of why Club 18s draws from the playing pool of guys that can potentially play Reserves football like Broadford or Rockbank who lack those sorts of numbers.. but you can't force people to go and play for a club that they don't want to, and I think it's great that guys can still get a game of footy in with the club that they love. It's a better system than the juniors where if you're a club that fields its maximum two teams and have more than a dozen kids left over that have to find other clubs to play for.. at least here, when these two Senior teams are filled, clubs have the option of adding another.

Good points Chris.

You are right that clubbies is great for players who can’t commit to register training. Having coached at VAFA levels the clubbies program is a great way to keep people involved with the club and the all of the associated benefits of it.

Credit to Wallan in making the club attractive to play at currently. I say currently as circumstances can change quickly and clubs must strive to continuously to evolve and adapt. Failing to do this is a sure way to set yourself up for failure.

I am confident that all people associated at Rockbank, Lancefield and Broadford are working their collective backsides off to attract and retain talent. Whilst it is hard at times their efforts will in turn will bear fruit in time. Don’t forget these sides have made finals in recent times and yet they may return next year. That’s one of the joys of sport is the unknown of what will happen next week or next year.

Agree, supply and demand. The fact that Club 18 exists shows that the current model for country footy is changing. If there was no market for it it would not be successful and at the moment there are more club 18 teams establishing than numbers in traditional forms growing. It is actually telling everyone something but noone wants to listen. When country footy turned semi pro it was not for everyone. Reserve footy is not for everyone when most clubs still expect a pretty full on amount of commitment. The strong clubs get the balance right. Even senior footy clubs starting in October...give me a spell.!! In regards to junior interleague, not directly involved Doona so maybe I am a bit harsh, would never want to be. disgraceful the war stories I have been told by mates with kids that have played or been overlooked. There is no structure to the teams as the teams are picked on height and early developers, not talent. Maybe a long bow, but maybe just maybe some kids leave the comp or stop playing because they are basically told in our region if your X height or size you don't have a future in footy. For mine interleague footy is about talent v talent, it is not about winning and it is not about identifying kids at under 12 level (sorry assuming they still have under 12 interleague). Kids develop at different rates, we all see the big kid at 12/13/14/15 become the small kids at 18, yet he gets all the opportunities when he is younger not because he has talent, because of size, maybe that is an impact on junior participation. Again not saying it is, but maybe worth considering. In all honesty not worth discussing as nothing changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, all rep football should be independant of parents or club coaches from those specific age groups full stop, but unfortunately that rarely occurs because a lot of parents try and manufacture an outcome or two along the way.

Yeh my mate reckons his kid was stiff too ... but sadly my mates kid is not good enough at 14yo, can't win his own footy, wont stand in the same spot at two consecutive stoppages and can't hit a target ;) that's when I ask him what his club is doing to improve his kid?

Is it fair? I don't know, but footballers and netballers want to play there and the work done by Committee, Daniel and Chris James is something to be proud of, not frowned upon.

Massive growth corridor sorounding Wallan compared to a Broadford or Lancefield, this makes a huge difference and this is where for example KDFL is catering for clubs with small populations and comps with Div 3 WRFL and EDFL or NFNL etc. When you have Wallan stand alone then Sunbury - rupo-Diggers-Riddle creek then Romsey has growth currently but well structured Vs rock bank ten years off with the area looking at other clubs then Melton central competing with Melton/ Melton south and Bacchus Marsh and Darley then Macedon vs Woodend vs Gisborne vs Gisborne giants it’s a real mess.
What’s the answer I feel the answer was there when the Goldfields stepped in and that was to plan and redevelop is that now possible ? I feel unless something is done in the next 2-3 years with the understanding that some clubs may be better off else where then there may not be a RDFL in the near future.
Feel people have sat on there hands to long and that really goes back to the clubs for not demanding restructure.

Only one game separating 1st and 6th.
Some huge games over the next two weeks.
Riddell v Macedon
Diggers v Rupp
Next week
Romsey v Riddell
Wallan v Rupo
It’s shaping up to be a great finals series.
How is the ladder going to look at the end of the home and away?
3rd doesn’t look so good this year.

Out of interest what is the process to get on the board of RDFL and/or Goldfields ?

Employment with AFL GoldFields I think is an AFL Vic thing, apply for positions vacant and chance your arm.
RDFL Board positions I think are applied for, voted for by the clubs when positions open.

I was contemplating chancing my arm 3 years ago out of all the frustrations we were experiencing out this way, but then Kilmore left, and then sadly the juniors followed suit (as did Wandong) so with only Two seniors clubs out here it seemed a waste of time and resources to go in and lobby on quite a minority portion of the RDFL landscape.

There's been a number of positions open up over recent times, and I'd be surprised that had freshness presented then the long term board members would step aside .... but nothing has changed becuase no one has come forward to express an interest in joining or challenging the main board positions, could be your time sloth?

What were the charges? Obscure that blokes in a SH$t@ & Giggles Comp would get so worked up to have the cops called. Just bizarre to be honest.

Intentional striking. Young bloke possibly going to give the game away.

Intentional striking. Young bloke possibly going to give the game away.

The odd idiot playing 3rds footy..That’s a concern about young kids playing in the 3rds senior comp or club 18s as you call them. Most don’t train and the odd person still living in the past by whacking blokes by way of cheap shots.

Employment with AFL GoldFields I think is an AFL Vic thing, apply for positions vacant and chance your arm.
RDFL Board positions I think are applied for, voted for by the clubs when positions open.

I was contemplating chancing my arm 3 years ago out of all the frustrations we were experiencing out this way, but then Kilmore left, and then sadly the juniors followed suit (as did Wandong) so with only Two seniors clubs out here it seemed a waste of time and resources to go in and lobby on quite a minority portion of the RDFL landscape.

There's been a number of positions open up over recent times, and I'd be surprised that had freshness presented then the long term board members would step aside .... but nothing has changed becuase no one has come forward to express an interest in joining or challenging the main board positions, could be your time sloth?
I’m hearing similar views across many leagues. Clubs dissatisfaction with league administration at an all time high. However no one seems to want to put their hand up. It doesn’t help when the shadow of AFLVic is hovering in the background.

I’m hearing similar views across many leagues. Clubs dissatisfaction with league administration at an all time high. However no one seems to want to put their hand up. It doesn’t help when the shadow of AFLVic is hovering in the background.
Ok stop procrastinating it’s simple clubs meet at a private meeting get signatures lobby for a EGM to place a vote of no confidence against the current committee. But go with a plan then demand a meeting with the Goldfields administration lobby what’s required demand answers and direction. If they don’t deliver then lobby Afl and demand a hearing in regards to the direction of the Goldfields to benefit all RDFL clubs.
i Sadly believe the time may have past and the RDFL is on borrowed time but sitting on your hands does nothing as they say shake the walls make waves or don’t complain.

well done Morgs first bit of info that's not a rumour
:clapping:
Romsey should be proud the way they handled it & a couple of boys will be better off in there back pockets
Thanks one hung for mentioning me in your first post....

Heard a whisper. ( not a rumour). The proposed shake up of leagues is going to be announced soon.
Restructuring leagues so teams can be more competitive is well under way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back