Jonesracing82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Cal Twomey stated that after watching a u19 nab game this weekend that the quality is off the charts,in just the game he was watching he could see conservatively 15 players drafted,he said draft would be insane deep,all goes well for tigers having 2 clubs worth of 1,2,3 .
With a hand like this we'd be silly not to hit the Draft, it'll fast track our next wave &keep us contending for longer. The opposite way the Dawks have gone about it. It also frees up cap space in the instance we get a retirement or 2 & fringe players again looking for game time elsewhere.

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Will be a rebuild when we do drop away. Unfortunately you can’t just replace quality in the midfield all of a sudden. Need the odd low pick. Will feel so weird when it does finally happen.
Agreed.
There's a reason players like Cotchin & Dusty go top 3 in the draft.
We are all hopeful that Graham, Ross, RCD & Dow will step up. But if you watch recent top picks like Rowell & Walsh, there is a fair gap between them and our potential future midfielders.

Tygrys

All Australian
Mar 26, 2009
Clayton
AFL Club
Richmond
Cal Twomey stated that after watching a u19 nab game this weekend that the quality is off the charts,in just the game he was watching he could see conservatively 15 players drafted,he said draft would be insane deep,all goes well for tigers having 2 clubs worth of 1,2,3 .
You'd have to think that's one of the reasons we traded our first out of last year's draft and into this one because this years is so strong. Now if say a key position Ben King became available that would be a different matter, but I would be very upset if we traded out of this years picks to pick up a dime a dozen midfielder. Hold our nerve, recruit with skill and a bit of luck and for example we might have two or three Tom Greens instead of just one.

And how many times has history shown us that if you have a mass of quality picks in a single draft and you nail it, that group of young players coming through together can be the catalyst for serious ongoing success. And frankly if we are going to lose any players looking for a big payday with the draft hand we already have this might be the best year to do it. With so many of our elite player coming towards the end you'd be crazy not to go for a generational transformation and embrace this years draft.

DickieKnee

🍺
Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed.
There's a reason players like Cotchin & Dusty go top 3 in the draft.
We are all hopeful that Graham, Ross, RCD & Dow will step up. But if you watch recent top picks like Rowell & Walsh, there is a fair gap between them and our potential future midfielders.
Yeah genuine A graders slot straight into the firsts. I remember both Cotchin and Dusty went straight into the firsts and didnt look out of place playing AFL footy. Its been a while since we've had a draft pick low enough to get a player like that. I think Dusty was the last one.

THE_GUN

R.I.P Shane Tuck 21
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Yeah genuine A graders slot straight into the firsts. I remember both Cotchin and Dusty went straight into the firsts and didnt look out of place playing AFL footy. Its been a while since we've had a draft pick low enough to get a player like that. I think Dusty was the last one.
For every Cotchin & Dusty you also have a basket full of Brodie , Dow , LDU , Rayner etc
Recruiting is 1 area that is the most important along with development

Remove this Banner Ad