Food & Drink Recipe Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have a recipe but I had the most delicious breakfast, it's called eggs kurosawa. It's a combination of brown rice and scrambled eggs with teriyaki tofu, nori seaweed strips, pine nuts and avocado, with wasabi on the side (I have it without wasabi though). It's amazing. Had it at Jed's Food Store in Bondi, one of my favourite cafes. They have an awesome menu!! My friend Mish had the porridge, it's delicious, so creamy with caramelised banana, lime zest and brown sugar. SO GOOD. I'm taking MalFan there on the weekend :D

I don't have a recipe but I had the most delicious breakfast, it's called eggs kurosawa. It's a combination of brown rice and scrambled eggs with teriyaki tofu, nori seaweed strips, pine nuts and avocado, with wasabi on the side (I have it without wasabi though). It's amazing. Had it at Jed's Food Store in Bondi, one of my favourite cafes. They have an awesome menu!! My friend Mish had the porridge, it's delicious, so creamy with caramelised banana, lime zest and brown sugar. SO GOOD. I'm taking MalFan there on the weekend :D

thatd be a change from his usual burnt toast and cold coffee..

LOL! I am in shock:eek:

Anyway.. my "signature dish" is Mousaka.

Absolutely begged this cafe owner (many yrs ago) to give me the recipe.

The differnce from "traditional" is a thick Bechamel layer on top.

I get raves ....but I have never got the Bechamel the same.:eek:

I vaguely remember the owners wife saying belatedly something like "lots!!! of eggs"

I wonder whether that was egg whites?

Is there any tips from you gourmet culinary esperts as to how to do it right?or what try next?

( I have tried less time,less heat ,more whole eggs etc ...but always comes out stiffer and not as creamy as the intended original )

:confused:

Garlic Prawns
LOL! I am in shock:eek:

Anyway.. my "signature dish" is Mousaka.

Absolutely begged this cafe owner (many yrs ago) to give me the recipe.

The differnce from "traditional" is a thick Bechamel layer on top.

I get raves ....but I have never got the Bechamel the same.:eek:

I vaguely remember the owners wife saying belatedly something like "lots!!! of eggs"

I wonder whether that was egg whites?

Is there any tips from you gourmet culinary esperts as to how to do it right?or what try next?

( I have tried less time,less heat ,more whole eggs etc ...but always comes out stiffer and not as creamy as the intended original )

:confused:

haha, why you in shock mate? A blokes gotta eat and if you love your tucker and if you want the best, you gotta make it yourself!...:thumbsu:
Give us your Mousaka recipe and see if anyone has some 'tweaks'?
When you live alone like I do, you dont bother with big recipes alot of the time, save em usually for guests or impressing a chick, um missus, well you know what I meen!
Heres a quick one I just had tonight, use more of the ingredients for more people just do the maths!

Garlic Prawns (simple but restaraunt quality):

ingredients;
About 250g of uncooked peeled prawns
1/4 onion finely chopped (also chop a little spring onion for colour if you feelin fancy)
3 cloves of garlic(plus one tsp of crushd garlic from jar, i ran out of cloves) finely chopped
1 tablespoon of powdered chicken or veg stock, whatever you prefer, I used chicken stock
1/2 a small bottle of fresh cream
1 instant bag of rice

Throw rice into boiling pot, my brand takes 15mins or cook rice however you want.

throw onions into hot greased pan and lightly cook
add prawns and mix/toss till they go a little white not too much though(1-2mins)
add garlic, about 30 secs or garlic will go bitter
then throw in cream and stock then simmer(reduce) to your prefered consistancy or until rice is ready

All under 15mins, pour straight from pan over rice and grab a beer...:thumbsu:

Honey Chicken:

1/3 cup of honey
dash of lemon juice(fresh is best)
dash of soy sauce
1/4 cup of butter
dash of garlic powder(or use fresh bashed to a pulp and then some)
fresh ground salt and pepper
6-10 pieces of chicken(depends what pieces)
2/3 cup of sesame seeds

preheat oven to about 190, mix all ingredients in a bowl(except chicken and sesame seeds)
brush/coat chicken pieces then place on 'ungreased' not stick baking tray and sprinkle with sesame seeds, cook for an hour-hour and a half, basting occasionally with pan juices until tender...mmm, serve with rice and beer and consume whilst watching footy, simple as..:thumbsu:

Bloody brilliant BIGBEZ, cooked for the family and they loved it!!!

Might cook it again tonight.
Cheers LH15

Bloody brilliant BIGBEZ, cooked for the family and they loved it!!!

Might cook it again tonight.
Cheers LH15

cheers mate, try using breast pieces and cut in thick slices(after cooked) ala your local chinese store...:thumbsu:

(i use wings, drumsticks etc coz I like eating caveman style)

Chicken Casserole
Soz for the late reply Bez!

1 tbsp oil
1kg chicken drumsticks
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 medium potatoes, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
¼ cup plain flour
500ml chicken stock
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp dried Italian herbs

1. Preheat oven to 220ºC. Heat oil in a large flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish over high heat. Add chicken & cook until well browned on all sides.

2. Add onion, garlic, potato, zucchini & carrot. Cook for 2 mins.

3. In a jug or bowl, combine flour with stock until evenly mixed. Stir in tomato paste & herbs then pour over chicken. Bring to the boil, stirring regularly. Cover & bake, for 30 mins or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with rice, pasta or mash.

I did it with rice because a casserole with pasta seems a tad weird.

Absolutely fantastic!

casserole sounds great, ive got some lamb fillets gonna try that recipe using that and use veg stock instead of chicken stock, mabee a touch of mint, mmm:thumbsu:

I tried my mint chutney on some BBQ'd lamb and it was faaaantastic.

It goes fantastically with steamed sweet potato and some BBQ sauce as well. Incredible winter dish.

I tried my mint chutney on some BBQ'd lamb and it was faaaantastic.

It goes fantastically with steamed sweet potato and some BBQ sauce as well. Incredible winter dish.

Im looking forward to the warmer weather when I can fire up the bbq, I have heaps of bbq ideas for that stuff, thanks mate...:thumbsu:

6134_117633315038_640490038_2892482_7764634_n.jpg

Birthday cake my girlfriend made me. The stand is made from caramel and there's 12 different cupcake flavours. Peppermint, rocky road, tiramisu, cheesecake, strawberry, vanilla, black forest, chocolate, Oreo, neopolitan, coconut and mars bar.

Just quietly, I'ma bit of a fat **** right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol that's awesome.

I want to attempt macarons but I'm scared they'll be a massive fail. All those eggs etc wasted...

great stuff Hooley I love Jamie Olivers style he has a very rustic style not alot of fine chopping,just chuck it in and as for the pan juices, Id prefer pan juice gravy everytime so i do vegs in a seperate pan but great recipe!

and the sticky date pudding sounds grouse, but the sauce is even better, I use it alot so quick and easy and great on so many things ice cream, cinnamon donuts, cookies, fruit eg apples, pears(slight layer of water, boil off and add a little cinnamon and the sauce) even grouse on chicken(no cinnamon)...:thumbsu:

Seriously though Bez, you have to try the lamb, it is incredible! I could eat the stuffing by itself...but the lamb is also delicious!! :D

I want to cook something special for my man in a couple of weeks when I go to stay with him - any suggestions? He likes meat!

Seriously though Bez, you have to try the lamb, it is incredible! I could eat the stuffing by itself...but the lamb is also delicious!! :D

I want to cook something special for my man in a couple of weeks when I go to stay with him - any suggestions? He likes meat!

going by malfans soccer posts, Id say make sausages, big fat sausages...

Recipe for Love

Ingredients:

1/2 a cup of Affection
A pinch of cuddles
3 tablespoons of pure sweetness
A great big kiss

Method:

Dim the lights then mix them very slowly together.

I tried it once and it left a bitter after taste, think Ill stick to quick meals from now on, they go down much better..

Bez, try this then.

Ingredients:

2 Hearts Full of Love
2 Heaping Cups of Kindness
2 Armfuls of Gentleness
2 Cups of Friendship
2 Cups of Joy
2 Big Hearts Full of Forgiveness
1 Lifetime of Togetherness
2 Minds Full of Tenderness

Method:

Stir daily with Happiness, Humor and Patience.
Serve with Warmth and Compassion, Respect and Loyalty.

Bez, try this then.

Ingredients:

2 Hearts Full of Love
2 Heaping Cups of Kindness
2 Armfuls of Gentleness
2 Cups of Friendship
2 Cups of Joy
2 Big Hearts Full of Forgiveness
1 Lifetime of Togetherness
2 Minds Full of Tenderness

Method:

Stir daily with Happiness, Humor and Patience.
Serve with Warmth and Compassion, Respect and Loyalty.

I already get all this from my dog..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back