Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they should have threads Ziebells fluffing defensive efforts contantly leading to goals and Zurhaar's sh*t kicking costing them goals?

They could've quite easily won if those 2 weren't so useless at crucial times.

Yes well such facts are irrelevant when you can pile on the umpire over one wrong call 😂

The bitterness dating back to the 2015 PF and earlier matches is what brought me the utmost joy I must say 😍

Forget the history of melbourne being perennial underperformers, the tanking and the absolute first half choke of the 2018 prelim. They have fixed the holes in their list and their younger high end draft picks are now developed and ready. They are absolutely a contender this year.

Steven may is a great full back and being able to use Lever as a third tall along with their rebound and run from defence is very good. Some of their mids are also very capable down back if needed.

Petracca, Oliver and Gawn as a centre square start up with viney to come back (probably as a defensive mid) is strong. They have hard runners the only thing is think they may be lacking in the midfield is great kicking skills. However with the AFL continuing to push the drop, fumble, push the ball forward style they are able to get around that.

Up forward Brown really straightens them up and provides a genuine tall marking presence who will kick straight as well. Takes a lot of pressure off fritsch and allows him to play as either a half forward, roving the packs or as a lead up marking target. Tom Mcdonald needs to keep his form or it all isn't close to best in league. Their small forwards outside of fritsch aren't really first class and that along with their midfield kicking is really their only weakness.

The other thing that will be interesting to find out is how can their depth perform as their injury list is almost exclusively non best 22 players. Against a tall forward line with good delivery they can still be torn apart with the season ending injury to tomlinson and if teams can break even around the ball and bring pressure through the midfield combined with good kicking skills they are still suspect.

With our best 22 on the park i'd still back us in but we are unlikely to see close to that 22 until rounds 18-23.

To my mind however this season is really all about whether Geelong are fit and healthy for finals. If they are imo it's their premiership to lose. They have the experience, the stars, the structure and with the additions of smith and higgins the outside class to really tear teams apart combined with two peak key forwards. Their only real weaknesses are age of best 22 and fast breaks from centre ruck contests. In a high pressure finals game i also suspect their kicking from defence could be an issue. However with the midfield power and depth of flankers all they need is the tall down the line to bring it to ground and they will likely win a lot more ground ball contests than they lose.

Port, the Dogs are also genuine contenders and until someone actually wipes Richmond out of finals even with the change of play and a couple of key injuries hurting them a lot you can't discount them.

We need to be able to just keep chalking up wins until we get key players back in particular in defence but the real key piece is Elliot Yeo. Without him at peak fitness with his ability to compete with and dominate other teams offensive stars defensively whilst being a great mark and offensively damaging too we can't go all the way.

The return of rioli, ryan and shuey may be the cream that allows us to win a premiership but Yeo is the key missing piece imo.

Last edited:

They’re might be big in the SANFL but they’re small fry in the AFL
Yeah but if the Big Vic clubs can brag about their flags in the 1920s then Port should be able to brag about their SANFL flags too.

With 8 straight wins, curious to know what others think of Melbourne's performance so far? Are they the real deal? Will they go deep into finals? Will the wheels fall off along the way?
Might be a hot game against them at Optus at the business end of the season!
(probably discussed here already, but a lot to trawl through)
They look good but I won't be convinced until I see them win a final. May be peaking too early I that other teams will be putting a lot of work into emulating what they do well and trying to stop them. Looking at their game style, I think we will match up very well on them as they are using kick-mark to get it into tall forwards. Our skills and forwards are better than theirs. McGovern and Barrass can match May and Lever if in form.

They look good but I won't be convinced until I see them win a final. May be peaking too early I that other teams will be putting a lot of work into emulating what they do well and trying to stop them. Looking at their game style, I think we will match up very well on them as they are using kick-mark to get it into tall forwards. Our skills and forwards are better than theirs. McGovern and Barrass can match May and Lever if in form.
Thanks for the info, will watch one of their games against quality oppo..

They'd have to fall over to miss top 2 I think.
Beaten Geelong, Richmond and Sydney.

Seem to have most bases covered with good defence, foward line and ruck/mids.
Unfortunately they seem to be the real deal this year.
Ok, was my next question-have they played quality oppo!
Definitely pull a game up and watch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both as embarrassing as each other tbh.

Flexing over sh*t from 100 years ago is truly moronic.

Hey.

I was at my peak back then, don’t knock it

Both as embarrassing as each other tbh.

Flexing over sh*t from 100 years ago is truly moronic.

The hill I've chosen to die on is that the Eagles were an expansion club in the VFL, but a foundation club of the AFL, and Adelaide, Freo, Port, Gold Coast and GWS are the only expansion clubs. When talking about the AFL, the only relevant stats are the ones from 1990 onwards.

Your Carltons and your Essendons are almost as relevant as your Universities.

Collingwood's AFL record is just as funny as their VFL record though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back