Reports from U18 championships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by jim440
Ran into a nice lady there today.

Lady: "My grandson's playing for SA".
Jim440: "Oh, really. Who?"
L: "Adam Cooney" (Jim440 falls slobbering at her feet). "Brisbane call every week, but he desperately wants to play for the Crows"
J: "You should buy a red, white and blue scarf now"
L: "Oh, I hope not. He really doesn't want to go to Melbourne. Brisbane would be OK, but he is dreading having to go to Melbourne".
Geez, good get jim. His old man said Brisbane on TV tonight as well. They shouldn't be saying anything, he must go to the club that picks him. Maybe Brisbane will want pick #1 and do a trade with the Doggies. "Call every week"....

Originally posted by footyman
Geez, good get jim. His old man said Brisbane on TV tonight as well. They shouldn't be saying anything, he must go to the club that picks him. Maybe Brisbane will want pick #1 and do a trade with the Doggies. "Call every week"....
Eventually he will end up a Crow and it might be as early as 2006.;) :D

No-one has mentioned the WA captain, Matt Spencer (?). He's a big lad, and as he's captain, I assume can play a bit.

Agreed, Spencer would be WA's best performed player going into the carnival. Should have a handy lead in WA's colts award and has absolutely dominated every other ruckman he's played against...even Kepler Bradley

Only listed at 193cm, that's why no-one is getting too excited.

Im not sure how accurate the measurements from the WA team is to be honest. There is no way in hell Jordan Smith is 180cm...so i dunno about Spencer...looks pretty big in real life.

193 or not he still killed Kepler over here, and all there hype is on Kepler Bradley!!!!!

watching SA v WA at the moment, and Kepler Bradley has been extremely impressive, especially given his size.

but one does get the feeling he'll be like Josh Fraser - just not strong enough.

Watching that one as well, BT. Brad Symes' draft stock will surely soar if his form continues.

Originally posted by Guey_34
Watching that one as well, BT. Brad Symes' draft stock will surely soar if his form continues.

yea he played well, its hard to work out who's who, but a few guys who i noticed:

both number 7's
Willoughby from SA
Kerley/Curley from WA - the Ashley Sampi look alike
Matt Moody
number 30 from WA (I think it was 30, he was playing FB/CHB)
Bradley
Cooney
Beau James (the defender from SA)
Miller (the Jeff Farmer look alike from SA - the one who kicked 3 goals

a few others but can't remember them all

Today the Harrison Medal was won by Jake Furfaro who had a wonderful championships and finished off today with another 30 possession performance. He was also named All Australian. Tom Logan (NT), Shaun Daly (NSW/ACT) and Nick Potter (NSW/ACT) also received All Australian Honours.

Daly had a great championships and was a standout player for defensive roles on Clarke and Cleary in the last two games, while at the same time showing an ability to win possession himself, read the play and lead the side he was co-captain of.

The left footed Logan impresses with his strong marking ability overhead. He was captain of NT.

Potter is a ball winner in the centre of the ground, and his clearances from stoppages in particular would have grabbed the attention of talent scouts and All-Australian selectors. He was co-captain of NSW/ACT with Daly.

Brett Robinson from Tassie deserves a wrap for the way he played during the week. He was clearly Tassie's best player over the week and his efforts in a pretty average side were very good.

In today's game NSWACT got out of the blocks well. Queensland were unable to score a goal in the first half, but made a spirited comeback in the second half. NSWACT lasted to win by a goal and win division 2.

He was also named All Australian. Tom Logan (NT), Shaun Daly (NSW/ACT) and Nick Potter (NSW/ACT) also received All Australian Honours.

Nick Potter?? **** me!!!!

i used to play a lot of junior footy against him and he never really stood out, but he was always playing an age group above, so maybe that didn't help???

hopefully he'll be the third player from my junior comp to get into the AFL along with Aaron Rogers (Melbourne) and Paul Bevan (Sydney Reserves).

I'd say there would've been lucky to be have been 3 guys make it to VFL/AFL level from my competition excluding those guys actually........

Originally posted by Scottroo
Cooney- I went to school with Cooney....and know that he doesnt mind going interstate....but i know for a fact he finds Fremantle as a team of the furture and would mind going there!

Smart man :)

Anyway, saw the WA/SA replay today and Cooney will be an absolute gun. No chance of getting him though :(

Do you boys reckon Moody will be around til pick 10ish? He looked alright in the game against SA but I don't think he will go top 5.

Good summary of yesterday's games footyman, some quick thoughts of my own:

NT v Tas
Tassies humilation was made even worse with their 3rd quarter. After a competative first half that saw them only a point down at half time, in a 20 minute quarter NT kicked 9.3 to a point in a rout.

- For NT, Brendan Bailey had a reasonable game in defence, Ronald Smith showed a couple of flashes, as did Joel Campbell.

- Tom Logan was very good again, I've been pumping him up for a while so very pleased he got AA. He is not very slick, but is a fantastic mark for his size, and really has a dip. I hope he gets taken.

- Tassie's final embarrassment came when the AA selectors broke with tradition and didn't even name one of their players in the squad. Changes need to be made down there, and fast. Brett Robinson was the only player who could be considered a chance of been drafted, although Morrison was injured.

NSW v Qld
Great comeback by Queensland, but you can't go goalless for a half and expect to win the championship.

- Fufaro was very good again in defence, as was Nick Collins, who took the dangerous Kotzur to the cleaners.

- Chris Constable was impressive.

- Scott Harding really stood up in the final quarter and gave his all. You should have seen how disappointed the kid was after the game, he is elgible next year to play again, no doubt he will come back a better player for it. I rate him.

- Daly was a bit stiff not to win the Harrison Medal for mine. Superb job on Cleary to back up the performance on Clarke. A player I wasn't too convinced about before the carnival has risen a long way in my eyes over the last week.

- Nick Potter is your typical centreman. Not overly quick, but will keep feeding the ball out.

- Archibald was much better in the first half, moving a long way up the ground.

- Jarred Kahlfeldt must have been close to AA selection, great carnival on the wing.

That is all - I can't make it to the Sunday games, but I'll see the VC v WA game on Fox Footy when I get back from the Bullants v Box Hill game.

Today the Harrison Medal was won by Jake Furfaro who had a wonderful championships and finished off today with another 30 possession performance. He was also named All Australian. Tom Logan (NT), Shaun Daly (NSW/ACT) and Nick Potter (NSW/ACT) also received All Australian Honours.

How can they give out the AA side with 1/3 of the 1st div matches to go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic Metro thumps WA
1:47:11 PM Sun 13 July, 2003
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au
Vic Metro has thrashed Western Australia by 96 points to finish its National AFL Under-18 championship campaign with two wins and one loss.

But Metro will only win its third consecutive division-one title if South Australia defeats Vic Country in the final game to be played at Optus Oval on Sunday afternoon.

Metro 21.9 (135) defeated the Sandgropers 5.9 (39) in the curtain raiser to the Kangaroos versus Melbourne match at the MCG on Sunday.

Vic Metro never looked in doubt against a disappointing Western Australia, which posted just five goals for the match, while the home side booted the highest score of this year’s championships.

But it was Vic Metro’s Luke Herrington who was the star of the show, booting nine goals – including seven in the first half – to finish with 17 goals for the championships, which included five against South Australia and three against Vic Country.

His scintillating carnival will now make him a fascinating prospect come draft time in November.

Herrington’s teammate Fergus Watts – son of St Kilda vice-president Jim – was also a stand out performer, as he finished with four goals for the match, while Brock McLean – nephew of Ricky – also shone with three goals and 20 disposals.

Eddie Betts, Philip Georgios and Luke Peel were other fine players for Metro.

Western Australia’s Farren Ray was again a shining light in an otherwise disappointing team display, as he finished the match with 25 disposals (18 kicks and seven handballs).

The Herrington and Watts show began in the first term, when both forwards booted three goals each in Vic Metro’s six-goal tally.

Herrington posted the opening two of the match, while Watts added two in a row just before quarter-time, which included a brilliant mark to bring up his second.

Western Australia could muster just one goal for the term, via skipper Matthew Spencer, as Vic Metro led by 29 points at the first break.

Herrington remained on fire during the second term when he booted four of the six Vic Metro goals for the quarter, in a stunning display.

Western Australia posted just two for the term through Peter McGennisken, as Vic Metro led by 51 points at the main change.

The third term was a quieter affair, with Vic Metro adding three goals to one, with the home side increasing the margin to 65 points.

Again, Vic Metro dominated the final term, booting six consecutive goals to one – which included Herrington’s ninth. His performance was the best individual goalkicking of the championships.

VICTORIA METRO: 6.1 12.3 15.6 21.9 (135)
WESTERN AUSTRALIA: 1.2 3.6 4.7 5.9 (39)

GOALS: Victoria Metro: Herrington 9, Watts 4, McLean 3, Betts 2, Clifton, May, Stanton
Western Australia: McGennisken 2, Lecras, Pettigrew, Spencer
BEST: Victoria Metro: TBC
Western Australia: TBC
At the MCG

After watching that game on television im sure the WA guys could have performed better as alot of them looked sore from the outset. Bit disappointed how the big 5 went for WA but oh wll such is life.

Great game from Farren Ray, the boy has been pretty good this carnival.

Originally posted by dasler
After watching that game on television im sure the WA guys could have performed better as alot of them looked sore from the outset. Bit disappointed how the big 5 went for WA but oh wll such is life.

Great game from Farren Ray, the boy has been pretty good this carnival.

Who are the 'big 5'?

Keep an eye on this bloke. Number 7 for WA

Western Australia – Farren Ray, Peel Thunder, 181cm, 73kg

Ray is a medium inside midfielder with creative talent and good athleticism, who is strong and brave in the air. We saw him play for the Australian under-17 side against Ireland and on many occasions he would back into the pack, playing front on, with his eyes still focused on the ball, which was coming over his shoulder, and take very courageous marks. He showed not just courage, but aerial ability on several occasions. He would then hit the ground running and creatively set up the play with smart handballs, while he showed great running ability as well. He was a very impressive member of that AIS/AFL academy team against Ireland this year, while he hails from the same WAFL club – Peel Thunder – as Daniel Wells.

ahhh so number 7 for WA was Farren Ray.

I rated his game yesterday, but didn't know his name

who was number 7 for SA - he played well too.

and number 30 from WA??

Number 30 was Craig Jovanovic from South Fremantle (I think). I wasnt impressed by his game today gave up to many goals.

Sera it was written on the footygoss website to watch out for

Moody
Surjan
Bradley
Hall
Spencer/Wilson.

They have had excellent carnivals those lads but where left wanting today. 2/3 is a pretty good effort anyways.

Originally posted by dasler
Number 30 was Craig Jovanovic from South Fremantle (I think). I wasnt impressed by his game today gave up to many goals.

yes it would've seemed that way, but given the scoreline, i'd say he wasn't the only one in that boat.

is he likely to be drafted??

I wouldn't mind at all if he ended up at the WCE. haven't heard much about him at all, so he'd be unlikely to go in the top 50.....??

Originally posted by Black Thunder
Beau James (the defender from SA)

Just to clear up any confusion for those of you who are looking out for a Beau James and cant find him, its Beau Waters. I know it can be hard to keep track of players, so this isnt a dig, BT.

Interesting to note he played down back - he was predominantly an onballer when playing for the West Adelaide reserves. What did you think of his game?

Originally posted by Kid Dynamite!
Just to clear up any confusion for those of you who are looking out for a Beau James and cant find him, its Beau Waters. I know it can be hard to keep track of players, so this isnt a dig, BT.

Interesting to note he played down back - he was predominantly an onballer when playing for the West Adelaide reserves. What did you think of his game?

ooo yea sorry about that one but what are the chance of him getting drafted??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back