Tyzza_07_09_11

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2016
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MelbourneStars, Triple Eight Racing
I saw a highlights package of the 2008 Dream Team v Victoria match on facebook the other day and it made me think why there isn’t something similar happening now.

The problem with the idea of State of Origin and/or representative matches in the recent past is that clubs would be reluctant to let players play for fear of injury, which could jeopardise their season. This is a very valid point.

But what if it was played after the AFL season? Most injuries that occur are short term, and the likelihood of long term injury is very slim, so would this make clubs more willing to let their players play as they are not likely to miss AFL games because of it?

I would love to see an Dream Team v Victoria game held on the Friday night before the GF, rotating between Etihad, Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium and the SCG every 4 years. Obviously players from the two competing teams in the GF wouldn’t play, but I think there would be major entertainment value in a one off game like this. These mid-sized grounds would be just about sold out (because the vast majority of fans can’t go to the GF, so the opportunity to see one more game live would be attractive), TV audiences would be massive (as there is no other major sport on TV, NRL or AFL), and I would assume the players would love the opportunity to play in it.

Thoughts?

The reason why rugby league state of origin is so successful is because it is played mid season and it is rugby heartland state vs rugby heartland state.
All the players are in match condition, everyone is excited for the games as it isn't outside of the normal season and we all love backing our own state against the others.
So unless its just the big (sorry Tasmania) traditional footy states of Victoria, WA and SA versing each other, mid season and all of the star players are available form all the clubs than I just cannot see it being worthwhile.

The E.J game has replaced SOO.

You'd have to piss off the legends game to get any media pressure or public demand for a return.

Won't happen as there's too many media flogs with their snout in the legends game and too much airtime for modern coaches to bitch and moan about self indulgent crap.

I remember watching that game in 2008 and it was awful. Every player was terrified of getting injured in a meaningless game so it was basically non contact. Maybe it looks good in a highlight video but the actual game was like basketball on a 150 metre court with less scoring, truly awful. No wonder it hasnt been heard of since

I remember watching that game in 2008 and it was awful. Every player was terrified of getting injured in a meaningless game so it was basically non contact. Maybe it looks good in a highlight video but the actual game was like basketball on a 150 metre court with less scoring, truly awful. No wonder it hasnt been heard of since
It used to mean something when Ablett, Lockett, Williams, Carey etc were running out.

The shaved leg, media trained, conformed, 9pm bedtime gen of players would be a relatively mundane event unless it was full throttle and highly organized.

Clubs often send their injured players for surgery immediately after the seasons ends so that they can recover for pre-season. The other players go on overseas trips. They only get about 4 weeks off per year, I doubt many would sacrifice this for a meaningless representative game.

And the 'Dream Team' concept is contrived and has no passion, history or even definition.

And if you want your end-of-year representative football...we have the International Rules Series.

Kill the international series and instead have a round robin knock out series including each state that can field a team (no interest in the Vics vs everyone else or similar).

Teams made up of any players not on an AFL list. Excludes the best players unfortunately but at least there would be a chance of building some feeling and effort into the series.

Never gonna happen but its probably not that much worse of a plan than any other to get representative back in footy.

Back