Society/Culture Reproductive Rights: Roe vs Wade, abortion, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a big call.

Do you mean "a new baby wouldn't go with the couch I just bought" or "I have no money and a baby would crush all hopes of getting out of poverty for the foreseeable future"?
The second.
If having a baby leads to "I have no money and a baby would crush all hopes of getting out of poverty for the foreseeable future", I wouldn't choose the lifestyle of sleeping around, as that is the natural consequence.

Even somewhere in between - ie. "I got drunk, I had sex, it doesn't have to cost me my education and my employment future" - is not reasonably described as a "lifestyle choice"... unless you're the type that wants to preach to others about how they live their lives.

People who use the term 'lifestyle choice' seem to use it very loosely and deliberately so.

Like, yes, technically it's a lifestyle choice not a medical necessity, but it's not really a lifestyle choice in the way we'd normally describe a lifestyle choice.

Do you have a basis for feeling this?

Well, christians think those who make those lifestyle choices are going to be punished for all eternity to burn in hell. Why would you believe that on people you don't hate?
Just trying to compare it to the number that would be because of medical emergencies/rape or other extreme examples. Would be happy to be enlightened if untrue.

Just because I believe something is going to happen, doesn't mean I want it to happen.

The second.
If having a baby leads to "I have no money and a baby would crush all hopes of getting out of poverty for the foreseeable future", I wouldn't choose the lifestyle of sleeping around, as that is the natural consequence.
Wow - you really outed yourself there.

It's always the most religious that are the most filled with hate but very little else. Go educate yourself - and from real facts, not your genocidal fairytale.

Wow - you really outed yourself there.

It's always the most religious that are the most filled with hate but very little else. Go educate yourself - and from real facts, not your genocidal fairytale.
Outed myself? Please explain

Just trying to compare it to the number that would be because of medical emergencies/rape or other extreme examples. Would be happy to be enlightened if untrue.
Not quite what I meant.

People have an abortion for a myriad of reasons, and there's a lot of grey area between medical emergency/rape and lifestyle as a reason for an abortion. Extreme poverty is a massive reason, lack of access to contraception is another; you might be surprised that most abortions come from third world nations, with a lack of sex ed and easy access to condoms and the pill.

Here are some facts about abortion:
... with the most pertinent being this: the legal status of abortion does not affect how many abortions are done, and that illegal abortions result in dead women.
Just because I believe something is going to happen, doesn't mean I want it to happen.
But you believe that we deserve it on some level, no?

Outed myself? Please explain
Outed yourself as religious extremist, judging others based on no evidence. You've said that if a woman has an unwanted pregnancy it means she has been sleeping around. Xxxx x xxxxx xx xxxx.

Edit - just changed what I wrote as I may get a strike for it. Was just letting you know exactly what I think of you and others that think like this.

The second.
So poor people don't get sex because poor.

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outed yourself as religious extremist, judging others based on no evidence. You've said that if a woman has an unwanted pregnancy it means she has been sleeping around. Xxxx x xxxxx xx xxxx.

Edit - just changed what I wrote as I may get a strike for it. Was just letting you know exactly what I think of you and others that think like this.
No I never said that. Merely stated that having sex regularly can lead to having an unwanted pregnancy. And that abortions can be a result of that. Seems like an extreme reaction towards me, almost hateful

Not quite what I meant.

People have an abortion for a myriad of reasons, and there's a lot of grey area between medical emergency/rape and lifestyle as a reason for an abortion. Extreme poverty is a massive reason, lack of access to contraception is another; you might be surprised that most abortions come from third world nations, with a lack of sex ed and easy access to condoms and the pill.

Here are some facts about abortion:
... with the most pertinent being this: the legal status of abortion does not affect how many abortions are done, and that illegal abortions result in dead women.

But you believe that we deserve it on some level, no?
Completely understand this, although I would say that if you don't have access to contraception, or don't have the resources to support a child, you are still choosing to have sex.

Understand what you're saying. You don't say hate which I appreciate, but most have.

Only thing I would say is that you're narrowing the issue purely down to homosexuality. I feel that in 95% (admittedly a guess) of cases, abortion would be a lifestyle choice. And there are a range of other lifestyle choices Christians and other faiths would disagree with. Doesn't mean they hate those people...
Abortion is in a different camp IMO - but I would never, ever call THAT a lifestyle choice either.

Didn't say that either. I believe that if I didn't have the resources to support a child, I would make choices to reduce the chance of a pregnancy, rather than choosing an abortion
No. heck that.

Do we tell people not to walk around in case they get hit by a car?

Because, you know, choosing to get treatment is a lifestyle choice buddy.

Shoulda thought about that before you went out for milk. Too expensive to send an ambulance, reset your bones, provide physical therapy and all that.

Live with being physically crippled because your bones healed badly. Your own fault.

Why never?
Because (a) the word "lifestyle" is far too flippant for an experience that a lot of people who go through it find to be really traumatic, and most of all (b) it's not a lifestyle or a lifestyle choice.

Working from home is a lifestyle choice. Being monogamous is a lifestyle choice. Not having kids is a lifestyle choice, but that's different to "having abortions" for a lifestyle choice.

No. * that.

Do we tell people not to walk around in case they get hit by a car?

Because, you know, choosing to get treatment is a lifestyle choice buddy.

Shoulda thought about that before you went out for milk. Too expensive to send an ambulance, reset your bones, provide physical therapy and all that.

Live with being physically crippled because your bones healed badly. Your own fault.
When I walk to shops to buy milk, I walk on the footpath instead of down the middle of the road. I cross at traffic lights or when there is no traffic, rather than just choosing to blindly cross the road whenever.
Wouldn't they be smart choices? Wouldn't you encourage your children to do that?

I also wouldn't equate mending broken bones to aborting a child. Hope that doesn't make me an extremist

When I walk to shops to buy milk, I walk on the footpath instead of down the middle of the road. I cross at traffic lights or when there is no traffic, rather than just choosing to blindly cross the road whenever.
Wouldn't they be smart choices? Wouldn't you encourage your children to do that?

I also wouldn't equate mending broken bones to aborting a child. Hope that doesn't make me an extremist

What if you live somewhere without footpaths or traffic lights and have no choice?

Plenty of parts of the world have little or no access to contraception. Hell, in the US some political parties want to ban access to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back