Society/Culture Do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology?

Remove this Banner Ad

I rose from the slums to a property and business empire.

Let me tell you, when you come from nothing, and crawl and fight your way out to become wealthy, you hate everyone equally ! 😂😂
What an incredible story, and as a tax payer, I obviously own a lot of credit for your heroic success.

What an incredible story, and as a tax payer, I obviously own a lot of credit for your heroic success.
Goodfellas GIF

I have zero problems. I play golf 4 days a week, have a beautiful family, and enjoy every second of my life….

I honestly don’t care what you believe or what anyone does or believes, as long as they don’t interfere with me.

The problem you have is labelling everyone who believes something different to you as an idiot.

I don’t vote for the crazy new liberals, and I wouldn’t vote for Labor either.

I don’t even want to vote. I am an economic conservative though, I rose from the slums to a property and business empire.

Let me tell you, when you come from nothing, and crawl and fight your way out to become wealthy, you hate everyone equally ! 😂😂
But I wanted to know about your bootstraps...

Generally, people who big up their personal circumstances to strangers on the internet are those living in mummy’s basement trawling questionable websites.
croweater's Oroton umbrella likes this

But I wanted to know about your bootstraps...

Generally, people who big up their personal circumstances to strangers on the internet are those living in mummy’s basement trawling questionable websites.

Boys, just because you haven't improved your station in life don't be jealous of me....

Well done! We both know that the uncultured liberal/left buffoons on this thread would've been asking themselves: "how can a conservative fine an "expert" that goes against the majority?" I knew you meant find.
Going by what is happening in places like Florida, I'm 100% certain they'd fine anyone they could or jail them or ban their books.

This is a US survey and I'm not sure it relates to intelligence.

But it's interesting that people who vote Republican are more likely to not trust science. Don't get me wrong, the Democrats score isn't great either.

I do wonder if the problem lies in a lot of scientific advancement and understanding is directly 'attacking' peoples beliefs in something, so it's easier to simply ignore it ?

This is a US survey and I'm not sure it relates to intelligence.

But it's interesting that people who vote Republican are more likely to not trust science. Don't get me wrong, the Democrats score isn't great either.

I do wonder if the problem lies in a lot of scientific advancement and understanding is directly 'attacking' peoples beliefs in something, so it's easier to simply ignore it ?
Humans have a preference for the familiar over the unknown, and we have a dislike of changing our minds. From there, the problem becomes rather simplistic to explain: for any population of people, you will have a group that meets at the intersection between both a greater preference for the known and a greater dislike for changing their minds.

If these people have a theory or a belief, they're not budging from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Humans have a preference for the familiar over the unknown, and we have a dislike of changing our minds. From there, the problem becomes rather simplistic to explain: for any population of people, you will have a group that meets at the intersection between both a greater preference for the known and a greater dislike for changing their minds.

I know we can't, but it would be interesting to see this score over say 100 years.

I have a gut feel that the lack of trust in science is largely related to political discourse (for instance in Australia many on the right seeing Climate Change as leftist propaganda, so as the science becomes more and more definitive, the only way to not believe it is to simply dismiss the source )

Gobbledegook. If "we" disliked changing our minds, we'd still be living in caves. On the micro level, "we" change our minds every day.

Gobbledegook. If "we" disliked changing our minds, we'd still be living in caves. On the micro level, "we" change our minds every day.
Misinterpretation. I leave it to you to decide whether you want it known as deliberate or out of ignorance; would you prefer to be known as disingenuous or foolish?

If you want to have that conversation, I'm perfectly happy to have it another time.

Misinterpretation. I leave it to you to decide whether you want it known as deliberate or out of ignorance; would you prefer to be known as disingenuous or foolish?[/b]

If you want to have that conversation, I'm perfectly happy to have it another time.
Misinterpretation ? How can you expect anyone to interpret, mis or otherwise, gobbledegook ? 'deliberate' ? 'disingenuous (that's a synonym for liar, isn't it ?) ? Aggression aside, what is the point of that post ?

There's a fair amount of academic literature that supports the position that it's hard for humans to change their minds.

Psychological research suggests that once our minds are made up on important matters, changing them can be as difficult as stopping a train hurtling at full speed, even when there’s danger straight ahead.

In part, this explains why debates can be so stressful and often unrewarding: individuals are usually more inclined to stick to their own ideas, sometimes even when faced with solid evidence against them.

A team of researchers from City University and University College London — both in the United Kingdom — and Virginia Tech Carilion in Ronake, and the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, IL, questioned what, exactly, happens in the brain that makes people unlikely to change their opinions.

The 2 Articles exhibited. Both are commentaries, of political orientations, purporting to summarise so-called studies.

The 2 Articles exhibited. Both are commentaries, of political orientations, purporting to summarise so-called studies.
So you won't change your mind about it being hard to change someone's mind?

I'm not sure how you consider them political, particularly the second one.
There are far more than just two studies.

So you won't change your mind about it being hard to change someone's mind?

I'm not sure how you consider them political, particularly the second one.
There are far more than just two studies.

Your response is an American obscure psychologist commentary and a repeat of the reverse bald head ? Those are supposed to be some sort of objective corroboration of gobbledegook ? Preserve some sort of credibility, don't get down and dirty with ....

Your response is an American obscure psychologist commentary and a repeat of the reverse bald head ? Those are supposed to be some sort of objective corroboration of gobbledegook ? Preserve some sort of credibility, don't get down and dirty with ....
Is there any information that would change your mind?
Thus far you're doing a solid job of supporting, rather than refuting, the assertion

How many more politico pseudo commentary on supposed "surveys" or "studies" are you going to post ? You and your ilk are turning Bigfooty into a clone of what Channel 9's Footy Show has now become.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back