Return to Zones on the agenda...

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/1bbedeed0826b22d1af9317b1cfdc9e5

Relevant portions from the article ... written by Dwayne Russell

SOUTH Australia will be divided in two, with the Crows and Port Adelaide allocated half the state each as their development and recruiting zone under a future scenario to be seriously discussed at the first AFL Competition Committee meeting in Melbourne on May 10.

If the system was in place now, star young South Australian’s Jack Lukosius and Izac Rankine would be playing for the Crows or the Power next season, and Port Adelaide would have its old traditional recruiting ground of Port Lincoln and the Eyre Peninsula back as its zone.

Under the proposal, every AFL club would have a zone to develop and recruit from, with a similar draft bidding system to that which currently allows the the Swans, Giants, Lions and Suns to develop and recruit direct from the northern states.

“I like the idea of consistency,” AFL head of football operations Steve Hocking admitted to me this week. Hocking believes AFL junior development money would be better spent if AFL clubs become directly responsible for junior development and can reap personal benefit from its efficient use.

“There is a lot being considered it’s fair to say, and I think what we’ve seen is things stay status quo for a period of time, and I think what we need to do in my view is create better efficiencies” Hocking said.

Under the proposal, every AFL club would have a zone to develop and recruit from, with a similar draft bidding system to that which currently allows the the Swans, Giants, Lions and Suns to develop and recruit direct from the northern states.

And leading the charge for a return to zones in Victoria is the Collingwood Football Club and its influential president Eddie McGuire, who has been working with the AFL and the Victorian State Government on infrastructure and development ideas that could greatly benefit country Victoria and junior football.

“We’re keen on zones,” Collingwood chief executive Mark Anderson confirmed.

“We’re going to be in discussions around what zones make sense for us ... intuitively that area in the Diamond Valley is the heart and soul, but we’ve got a big partnership down in the Latrobe Valley now where we are doing a lot of work with the State government and local government; and we’d love to do a little bit more around talent development there, but it’s not our zone,” Anderson said pointedly.

The reason the return to zones and a totally revamped under-age development system is strongly tipped to eventually get the rubber stamp, is because of the massive money drain and resource waste that exists under the current under-18 systems.

In Victoria, kids have both the private school system and the TAC Cup doubling up with coaches and other resources like gymnasiums, doctors and physios.

AFL clubs all have the same resources available but are not not allowed to offer them for use to the kids who would benefit from spending time inside an AFL club and would love to wear a traditional AFL team jumper as a junior.

Hocking believes the entire AFL feeder system should be streamlined, and a national second tier or elite junior competition will eventually happen if he gets his way.

“How we are spending our dollars, what’s that look like back through the state leagues, and all those talent levels is high on his agenda on May 10”.

Adelaide Crow chief executive Andrew Fagan and Port Adelaide football manager Chris Davies are both members of Hocking’s handpicked competition committee. But more importantly, so is Eddie McGuire.

I don't mind the idea, in terms of fast-tracking the development of juniors into seniors.

How do we ensure that Qld and NSW aren't too disadvantaged? Not too sure.

How do the Storm maintain their excellence without a draft in the NRL? Genuine question.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/1bbedeed0826b22d1af9317b1cfdc9e5

Relevant portions from the article ... written by Dwayne Russell

SOUTH Australia will be divided in two, with the Crows and Port Adelaide allocated half the state each as their development and recruiting zone under a future scenario to be seriously discussed at the first AFL Competition Committee meeting in Melbourne on May 10.

If the system was in place now, star young South Australian’s Jack Lukosius and Izac Rankine would be playing for the Crows or the Power next season, and Port Adelaide would have its old traditional recruiting ground of Port Lincoln and the Eyre Peninsula back as its zone.

“I like the idea of consistency,” AFL head of football operations Steve Hocking admitted to me this week. Hocking believes AFL junior development money would be better spent if AFL clubs become directly responsible for junior development and can reap personal benefit from its efficient use.

“There is a lot being considered it’s fair to say, and I think what we’ve seen is things stay status quo for a period of time, and I think what we need to do in my view is create better efficiencies” Hocking said.

And leading the charge for a return to zones in Victoria is the Collingwood Football Club and its influential president Eddie McGuire, who has been working with the AFL and the Victorian State Government on infrastructure and development ideas that could greatly benefit country Victoria and junior football.

“We’re keen on zones,” Collingwood chief executive Mark Anderson confirmed.

“We’re going to be in discussions around what zones make sense for us ... intuitively that area in the Diamond Valley is the heart and soul, but we’ve got a big partnership down in the Latrobe Valley now where we are doing a lot of work with the State government and local government; and we’d love to do a little bit more around talent development there, but it’s not our zone,” Anderson said pointedly.

The reason the return to zones and a totally revamped under-age development system is strongly tipped to eventually get the rubber stamp, is because of the massive money drain and resource waste that exists under the current under-18 systems.

In Victoria, kids have both the private school system and the TAC Cup doubling up with coaches and other resources like gymnasiums, doctors and physios.

AFL clubs all have the same resources available but are not not allowed to offer them for use to the kids who would benefit from spending time inside an AFL club and would love to wear a traditional AFL team jumper as a junior.

Hocking believes the entire AFL feeder system should be streamlined, and a national second tier or elite junior competition will eventually happen if he gets his way.

“How we are spending our dollars, what’s that look like back through the state leagues, and all those talent levels is high on his agenda on May 10”.

Adelaide Crow chief executive Andrew Fagan and Port Adelaide football manager Chris Davies are both members of Hocking’s handpicked competition committee. But more importantly, so is Eddie McGuire.
The Northern clubs aren't allowed to recruit directly out of zones though. There a limited 10% draft advantage.

How do the Storm maintain their excellence without a draft in the NRL? Genuine question.
Worth noting NRL recruiting isn't strictly zones, there aren't any "country zones" in the NRL for non-regional teams. So every side has rights to guys from the bush, which wasn't the case in the old VFL.

Plus Melbourne's culture is first-rate, they got four ATG's in like two years, and also the salary cap cheating.....

I don't mind the idea, in terms of fast-tracking the development of juniors into seniors.

Perhaps an alternating discount or perhaps a increase. We could have a mathematical formula that says "Hawthorn, your zone has produced a pick 2, a pick 6 and a pick 11 in 2 years, that is too much so instead of a 20% discount you are going to have to pay 4% extra on the baseline points.

So the worst zones could have 50% discounts and the best zone could have a 50% increase in the baseline, or something like that, each year the percentage changing based on the past 5 years of the zone and how many players it has produced, and what picks those players went.

Perhaps an alternating discount or perhaps a increase. We could have a mathematical formula that says "Hawthorn, your zone has produced a pick 2, a pick 6 and a pick 11 in 2 years, that is too much so instead of a 20% discount you are going to have to pay 4% extra on the baseline points.

So the worst zones could have 50% discounts and the best zone could have a 50% increase in the baseline, or something like that, each year the percentage changing based on the past 5 years of the zone and how many players it has produced, and what picks those players went.
:huh: So if you support and develop good juniors you get punished?

This would kill off the Northern clubs competitiveness, ridiculous. Northern academies were introduced in the first place because the vast majority of the young natural talent in the northern states goes to Rugby League/union, the southern clubs don't need them they get the best talent anyway. If we don't get access to southern talent in the draft it's time for us northern heathens to close up shop and change the AFL to the GSLFL ie. Great Southern Land Football League.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A draft I have sometimes thought about which would be interesting, though not exactly good for television would be a similar system to what I had for my tutorials at university where it was a preference based system.

So every team needs to list 100 players based on preferences, from 1 to 100, with teams lower on the ladder getting higher priority within the computer program. Then the program is run and the computer allocates your players based on preferences.

Another myth.

There is good development and poor development.
It's not a myth. Unless they move and alter zones every year somes zones will be short of talent.

You don't have a endless supply of junior talent in every suburb or town forever. So unless you adjust the zones so each team has roughly the same amount of juniors coming through it won't work.

You still get priority access, but you have to pay more.
I get your seriously trying to propose a solution, but I dont think that's it. Northern clubs already face restrictions on academy recruiting. Probably introduced because we had a bumper crop in 2015. Discount on one top ten pick only if we finish top 4. Probably never gonna be an issue but that king of restriction more likely IMO.

In general in all this talk of recruitment pathways there's not enough weight given to supporting juniors and too much to fairness and the business of AFL in my view. If youngsters in other states are better supported by reintroducing zones, I'm good with it.

The Storm can recruit juniors from anywhere in aus, nz, fiji, rugby union etc with no restrictions for starters. They scout well and perhaps more importantly can farm their reserves off to 2nd tier teams in the qld and nsw competitions.

It's not a myth. Unless they move and alter zones every year somes zones will be short of talent.

You don't have a endless supply of junior talent in every suburb or town forever. So unless you adjust the zones so each team has roughly the same amount of juniors coming through it won't work.
Different argument. The Myth is zoning made a difference to success.
You correctly point out demographics makes a difference.

Storm have a very big slab of Queensland as their zone. Furthermore, they are allowed to have more third party payments to their players on top of the salary cap than other clubs. This effectively amounts as their version of the COLA.

No. History tells you teams in both Victoria and SA dominated competitions because of superior zones.
Dead right. When the zones existed, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn were massively advantaged under the old zones - Carlton had the very powerful Bendigo League, Essendon the huge Wimmera Mallee area - again very strong at that time, while Hawthorn was gifted as a supposed country zone both Gippsland and Mornington Peninsula with areas including the rapidly expanding SE suburbs of Melbourne. Also North Melbourne who got them O&M league.

No wonder these clubs dominated the late seventies/early eighties. It was because of these inevitable inequalities that zones were abolished.

Dead right. When the zones existed, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn were massively advantaged under the old zones - Carlton had the very powerful Bendigo League, Essendon the huge Wimmera Mallee area - again very strong at that time, while Hawthorn was gifted as a supposed country zone both Gippsland and Mornington Peninsula with areas including the rapidly expanding SE suburbs of Melbourne. Also North Melbourne who got them O&M league.

No wonder these clubs dominated the late seventies/early eighties. It was because of these inevitable inequalities that zones were abolished.
No other major league with drafts use zones because of these reasons.

Let the draft be a draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back