Review REVIEW GWS vs DOGS YES WE ARE IN THE ******* GRAND FINAL! YOU ******* BEAUTY

Remove this Banner Ad

My memories of this game:

- We flew up on the Friday, we booked literally as soon as the Hawthorn Final was over.

- Tried everything the night before to get my mind off the game - hotel pool, walk, gym, nothing worked.

- The morning of the game I was so nervous I couldn’t even eat. A few of my traveling party went to a pub beforehand but I was already in the midst of a nervous breakdown. Another prelim, against those ****ing assholes, the knowledge of what was on the line...I just couldn’t take it

- Arrived to the ground well early and chatting to other supporters and hearing their stories, driving up from Melbourne, flying in on the day

- The tension during this game was worse than any other game I’ve ever seen. I was on edge the whole time, roaring our goals with every ounce of energy and panicking like crazy at every one of there’s

- Strangely enough at 3 quarter time I saw Mitch Hahn in the crowd. I was tense and on edge and exchanged glances with him, we both kind of nodded at each other, as in, “Yes, this is tense, unbearable, I can’t stand it either, please may we win”

- When they got their second goal in the last quarter and were 14 up, I was so distraught and felt so sick I went to the bathroom, so I actually missed Dickson’s goal. Came back and had my parents and GF tell me we’re right back in it and not to worry, bless them

- The 3 or 4 minutes from when Bont’s goal to Cordy’s goal were insane. The bay I was in - all Bulldogs fans - going absolutely ape s**t when JJ burst free. Screaming their lungs out “BONT! BONT!!!” when we saw him marauding forward. Going bananas again when Bonti slotted it, and the Bulldogs chant that went up after Bonti’s goal was the loudest Bulldogs/Footscray chant I’ve ever heard.

After Cordy’s goal, I remember thinking clearly a very dangerous thought “One more, and I think we’re home”. Of course as soon as I think that they went up and Patton scored a goal and then thought to myself “Yeah, right”

- After Cordy’s goal I was messaging about 3-4 people back home watching for time updates, and bless them, they provided one for me which I checked at every available bounce or throw in

- When Macrae marked, i went through so many emotions. Much though I love him, I wasn’t sure he’d nailed it, so at first I reassured myself that surely he’d at least put us in front. I almost had to turn away when he was running in - but the GF had my hand in hers and squeezed it tight and made me watch, and then us all jumping up and down when it sailed through.

- How I actually managed to watch the best passages of play I’ll never know but I did. When they kicked that point to bring it to 5 points I had that fatalistic Bulldogs thought of that’s it, they’ll get a goal and we’ll lose by a point. There was a tackle by McLean on one of their players near the interchange where I yelled Ball so hard my throat was in pure agony. Then when they launched that final inside 50 - again, no idea how I watched - but this was the one time in our history where our defence simply had to stand firm, and they did.

- When McLean got the free for too high it was the first time I thought we probably were going to win, then when we kicked backwards I nearly had yet another heart attack. When Stringer began running towards goal, the whole bay and crowd yelling themselves hoarse, and then Dickson marked we all began jumping up and down like crazy. Then a quick check of my phone “You’ve got it!” “You’ve won - 30 seconds!” I then told my family who all asked for reassurances, as did the fans in the row behind me and behind. When that siren went, I let out out the fiercest, most primal roar of my life - and the four of us were jumping up and down in the most chaotic and wonderful group hug ever, then we were hugging the strangers in the row behind and in front. Parents both in tears, me just jumping up and down hugging everyone and anything

- We raced around to the players race - I basically sprinted, I was on that much of an adrenaline high - and saw the players off and were still hugging every single Bulldogs fan we saw. The scene was the same when we left the ground - everyone still on a high and just wanting to release some emotion by embracing

- We also went over to the other side of the ground where our extended extended family were all watching and celebrated, plenty of old timers in that bunch all who’d waited a long time to see it happen

- We then caught an Uber from the ground - my choice, stupidly - which was ridiculously expensive, but we didn’t care, we were all on our phones messaging and watching highlights.

- As mentioned earlier, I was too nervous to eat during and before the game, so when we arrived at the airport and had checked in, I found a Hungry Jacks and burst in almost like Homer Simpson demanding 700 Krusty Burgers.

- We arrived home close to midnight, girlfriend is too tired emotionally and retires to bed, I decide to flick on the TV and you little ripper, the replay is starting in 10 minutes. Re-watched again, and have re-watched nearly 1000 times (at least) since then.

A magic night.
Tears in my eyes, a stupid grin on my face, reading this. I never get tired of hearing people's stories of That Great Day, and have also watched the game many times.

Tears in my eyes, a stupid grin on my face, reading this. I never get tired of hearing people's stories of That Great Day, and have also watched the game many times.

I think that only those that had been through the heartbreak and the hoping can understand and appreciate it. My wife doesn’t get it, nor my closest friend....

They just don’t understand what those weeks meant to us....

Last edited:
You people are just so sentimental. Toughen up!

2u6083r.jpg

I cried like a baby when I saw this on my computer screen.

Watching Macrae’s kick at goal still makes me worried, I thought he’d missed as I’m pretty sure it was nowhere near straight through the middle.

The final play gets me every time seeing the crowd in the background all rise up before Dickson marks it, I remember watching it at home & yelling with joy when he marked it and knew we were through. Really hope next season we can see some glimpses that we aren’t far away from potentially being back to those finals games again

- We flew up on the Friday, we booked literally as soon as the Hawthorn Final was over.

- Tried everything the night before to get my mind off the game - hotel pool, walk, gym, nothing worked.

- The morning of the game I was so nervous I couldn’t even eat. A few of my traveling party went to a pub beforehand but I was already in the midst of a nervous breakdown. Another prelim, against those ****ing assholes, the knowledge of what was on the line...I just couldn’t take it

- Arrived to the ground well early and chatting to other supporters and hearing their stories, driving up from Melbourne, flying in on the day

- The tension during this game was worse than any other game I’ve ever seen. I was on edge the whole time, roaring our goals with every ounce of energy and panicking like crazy at every one of there’s

- Strangely enough at 3 quarter time I saw Mitch Hahn in the crowd. I was tense and on edge and exchanged glances with him, we both kind of nodded at each other, as in, “Yes, this is tense, unbearable, I can’t stand it either, please may we win”

- When they got their second goal in the last quarter and were 14 up, I was so distraught and felt so sick I went to the bathroom, so I actually missed Dickson’s goal. Came back and had my parents and GF tell me we’re right back in it and not to worry, bless them

- The 3 or 4 minutes from when Bont’s goal to Cordy’s goal were insane. The bay I was in - all Bulldogs fans - going absolutely ape s**t when JJ burst free. Screaming their lungs out “BONT! BONT!!!” when we saw him marauding forward. Going bananas again when Bonti slotted it, and the Bulldogs chant that went up after Bonti’s goal was the loudest Bulldogs/Footscray chant I’ve ever heard.

After Cordy’s goal, I remember thinking clearly a very dangerous thought “One more, and I think we’re home”. Of course as soon as I think that they went up and Patton scored a goal and then thought to myself “Yeah, right”

- After Cordy’s goal I was messaging about 3-4 people back home watching for time updates, and bless them, they provided one for me which I checked at every available bounce or throw in

- When Macrae marked, i went through so many emotions. Much though I love him, I wasn’t sure he’d nailed it, so at first I reassured myself that surely he’d at least put us in front. I almost had to turn away when he was running in - but the GF had my hand in hers and squeezed it tight and made me watch, and then us all jumping up and down when it sailed through.

- How I actually managed to watch the best passages of play I’ll never know but I did. When they kicked that point to bring it to 5 points I had that fatalistic Bulldogs thought of that’s it, they’ll get a goal and we’ll lose by a point. There was a tackle by McLean on one of their players near the interchange where I yelled Ball so hard my throat was in pure agony. Then when they launched that final inside 50 - again, no idea how I watched - but this was the one time in our history where our defence simply had to stand firm, and they did.

- When McLean got the free for too high it was the first time I thought we probably were going to win, then when we kicked backwards I nearly had yet another heart attack. When Stringer began running towards goal, the whole bay and crowd yelling themselves hoarse, and then Dickson marked we all began jumping up and down like crazy. Then a quick check of my phone “You’ve got it!” “You’ve won - 30 seconds!” I then told my family who all asked for reassurances, as did the fans in the row behind me and behind. When that siren went, I let out out the fiercest, most primal roar of my life - and the four of us were jumping up and down in the most chaotic and wonderful group hug ever, then we were hugging the strangers in the row behind and in front. Parents both in tears, me just jumping up and down hugging everyone and anything

- We raced around to the players race - I basically sprinted, I was on that much of an adrenaline high - and saw the players off and were still hugging every single Bulldogs fan we saw. The scene was the same when we left the ground - everyone still on a high and just wanting to release some emotion by embracing

- We also went over to the other side of the ground where our extended extended family were all watching and celebrated, plenty of old timers in that bunch all who’d waited a long time to see it happen

- We then caught an Uber from the ground - my choice, stupidly - which was ridiculously expensive, but we didn’t care, we were all on our phones messaging and watching highlights.

- As mentioned earlier, I was too nervous to eat during and before the game, so when we arrived at the airport and had checked in, I found a Hungry Jacks and burst in almost like Homer Simpson demanding 700 Krusty Burgers.

- We arrived home close to midnight, girlfriend is too tired emotionally and retires to bed, I decide to flick on the TV and you little ripper, the replay is starting in 10 minutes. Re-watched again, and have re-watched nearly 1000 times (at least) since then.

A magic night.
Goosebumps reading that mate.

I had moved house mid year and thought we MAY make a semi-final, so planned house-warming for prelim weekend. Probably the biggest regret of my life doing that/not cancelling it and going up to Spotless.
I'm with Fronk, my fav game ever for many reasons and I can only imagine how much more it would have meant, had I been there to witness it from the stands.

A magic night.
That’s just about the most enjoyable thing I’ve ever read on here. Cheers.

I think that only those that had been through the heartbreak and the hoping can understand and appreciate it. My wife doesn’t get it, nor my closest friend....

They just don’t understand what those weeks meant to us....

Very few premierships are forged from crystallized tears, the rest are just a metal cup.

I get tingles up and down my spine when I think of this game. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it was the greatest game I have ever seen. It wasn't really a game though, it was more theater. It had big name actors, heros, villains, a subplot, history, a fairytale storyline, the scene was set...
I'm 43 years old and I have never cried after a game of football but when that siren went I was a blubbering mess for 15 minutes - even now just thinking about it makes me get very emotional. Like all of you my football life flashed before my eyes in that 15 minutes after the siren... Wow, what an experience

Last edited:

A magic night.
Captured all hardcore doggies fans’ emotions that night perfectly. Well done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was also my favourite game ever. The most intense. The most emotional. I watched from home and surprisingly, like Leon said, was able to watch all those critical moments in the last quarter EXCEPT Macrae lining up for that last goal. I just couldn’t. But from there on I’m not sure how I watched the remainder of the game. That last kick from them into their 50 when down 5pts. I just had this sick feeling in my stomach they would kick a goal to win by a point. When I watch the replay, I still get this feeling of dread when we kick backwards (to Dunks?) that we’d somehow muff it and they’d run into an open goal!

Was in tears after the win. All dogs fans know how painful prelims have been. To get through in such a tense, tough, seesaw battle just topped it off. The week after was just a formality it seems. I never got nervous or had any doubt. It was weird.

I get tingles up and down my spine when I think of this game. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it was the greatest game I have ever seen. It wasn't really a game though, it was more theatre. It had big name actors, a subplot, history, a fairytale storyline, the scene was set...
I'm 43 years old and I have never cried after a game of football but when that siren went I was a blubbering mess for 15 minutes. Like all of you my football life flashed before my eyes in that 15 minutes after the siren... Wow, what an experience
To me, it was and forever will be the greatest event that a Bulldogs supporter could witness. Moreso than the Grand Final the next week.

It's a strange feeling but I honestly don't see how any football event could surpass it for as long as I live - football peaked that evening. And what a pleasure it was.

To me, it was and forever will be the greatest event that a Bulldogs supporter could witness. Moreso than the Grand Final the next week.
It's a strange feeling but I honestly don't see how any football event could surpass it for as long as I live - football peaked that evening. And what a pleasure it was.
This - it's not possible to get any better.
The Prelim was the game, not the GF win.

I was DRIVING BACK from a family holiday in Sydney whilst the game was in progress, so only radio coverage. I know, I know...

Sometime in the 4th quarter, driving up and down the hills in rural bugfck nowhere on the hume, the radio cut out for about 10mins due to s**t reception...

I was DRIVING BACK from a family holiday in Sydney whilst the game was in progress, so only radio coverage. I know, I know...

Sometime in the 4th quarter, driving up and down the hills in rural bugfck nowhere on the hume, the radio cut out for about 10mins due to s**t reception...

upload_2018-9-27_12-53-50.png

Still to this day the greatest game of football ive ever seen. That was the best giants side they rolled out and it was a hard and tough game like no other. Il never forget so many moments in this game and I have never had a feeling like this when I knew we were going to win (with 10 secs left). Unbelievable game and a game that I watch once a year on the couch on a lazy sunday arvo with a cold one

Still to this day the greatest game of football ive ever seen. That was the best giants side they rolled out and it was a hard and tough game like no other. Il never forget so many moments in this game and I have never had a feeling like this when I knew we were going to win (with 10 secs left). Unbelievable game and a game that I watch once a year on the couch on a lazy sunday arvo with a cold one

I watched it yesterday.

Glorious 😍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back