Richard Tambling vrs Chris Egan

Remove this Banner Ad

leonmagic said:
U/18 footy means jack ******** now - they're both on AFL lists.

Pop this thread back up in 6 months time and we'll discuss.
There was a reason why certain players are selected before each other in the draft. :rolleyes: Tambling > Egan. Not even Collingwood fans can think Tambling < Egan.

Obviously Tambling was considered to be the better player, and he was drafted 6 spots higher, but Egan does have some advantages, such as height. Tambling may be hurt by his size, while Egan has the height for that never to be a worry. Also, from what I've seen of Egan's game, he appears to be a longer, more powerful kick than Tambling.

However, Tambling has the advantage in speed, ability to read the ball, acountibility and the other intangibles that make up a footy player.

dave_4813 said:
There was a reason why certain players are selected before each other in the draft. :rolleyes: Tambling > Egan. Not even Collingwood fans can think Tambling < Egan.

Means jack. All people are basing this on is reputation. Odds are that Tambling may be better, but unless you've seen them play for a while, its all guesswork. There are plenty of players taken high in the draft that turn out to be nothing.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
Obviously Tambling was considered to be the better player, and he was drafted 6 spots higher, but Egan does have some advantages, such as height. Tambling may be hurt by his size, while Egan has the height for that never to be a worry. Also, from what I've seen of Egan's game, he appears to be a longer, more powerful kick than Tambling.

However, Tambling has the advantage in speed, ability to read the ball, acountibility and the other intangibles that make up a footy player.
AND SKILL.

Pedro said:
Means jack. All people are basing this on is reputation.

Once your at AFL level it means nothing. But players are not selected on reputation alone, they are selected on ABILITY and percieved ABILITY. Would you trade your first round pick for selection 70? Players selected higher have a higher ABILITY. This statement you have made is ridiculous, effectively you are saying that the person selected at 1 has no more ability than the person selected last in the Rookie Draft.

Pedro said:
Odds are that Tambling may be better, but unless you've seen them play for a while, its all guesswork.There are plenty of players taken high in the draft that turn out to be nothing.

Recruiters watch them play, they don't draft players without watching them play!!! Yes it is guess work to some extent but its very very educated guess work. Wether they shows their ABILITY or not has to do with the ENVIRONMENT at the club. For example Cole being a no one and Roach etc may mean that Collingwood are bad at developing youngsters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dave_4813 said:
AND SKILL.

actually from what i read egan has amazing skills ... its just he floats in and out of games ... he makes the brilliant look easy but the easy look hard on occasions.

in saying that tho i would have preferred tambling ... but im still happy with eddie betts :p

BlueBoy83 said:
actually from what i read egan has amazing skills ... its just he floats in and out of games ... he makes the brilliant look easy but the easy look hard on occasions.

in saying that tho i would have preferred tambling ... but im still happy with eddie betts :p
Everyone would prefer Tambling over Egan except Collingwood fans.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
Tambling may be hurt by his size

This won't be an issue, it may have been an initial concern from his weight at the start of the U18 season when he was 68kg but he's already up to 74kg at the draft camp and would have put more on since starting preseason.

He's taller and the same weight as Wells was last year. If you actually see the picture of him that Bentleigh or Hammerfire (cant remember which, maybe both) are posting all over the forum, you wouldn't think that he was a new draftee, he already looks bigger than some of the kids who have been in the system for more than a year.

dave_4813 said:
Once your at AFL level it means nothing. But players are not selected on reputation alone, they are selected on ABILITY and percieved ABILITY. Would you trade your first round pick for selection 70? Players selected higher have a higher ABILITY. This statement you have made is ridiculous, effectively you are saying that the person selected at 1 has no more ability than the person selected last in the Rookie Draft.

Recruiters watch them play, they don't draft players without watching them play!!! Yes it is guess work to some extent but its very very educated guess work. Wether they shows their ABILITY or not has to do with the ENVIRONMENT at the club. For example Cole being a no one and Roach etc may mean that Collingwood are bad at developing youngsters.

I'm not suggesting that recruiters don't put a heap of time into watching these players before drafting them and at the top end of the draft, these days they are pretty accurate. It doesn't always turn out to be the case though does it. I'm sure the Bullies looked pretty hard at Tim Walsh before they took him at 4. Tambling may be another Walsh, he may be another Judd. Time will tell. The same applies to Egan or any other draftee. There's more to making it in the AFL than ability.

Anyway, I don't know how you managed to work out that pick 1 is no different to a rookie pick from my post. The gist of my post was that it all starts now for these kids. Junior careers matter jack for them now.

dave_4813 said:
Everyone would prefer Tambling over Egan except Collingwood fans.

Go back and read the thread and name 1 Collingwood supporter who states that they would prefer Egan over Tambling.

Rumour at Melbourne is that we thought that Egan would still be around for our pick and were planning on taking him, so we must rate him pretty highly. I think he'll probably be a more consistent player but Tambling's best will be of a higher standard.

Both are welcome at the MFC though.

Is that why you took Judd? ooops

From the few games that I saw of Egan I was amazed how high he went in the draft.Collingwood have taken a big risk drafting him.At this stage Tambling is way ahead.He's impressing everyone at training already.I can see him playing round 1 2005 and never looking back.As Leon Magic said though, lets revisit this thread in 6 months.

jimmy35 said:
About the same amount that prefered Judd over Hodge would be my guess. :D
Judd, Hodge and Ball were all considered equals - the difference in recruiters minds was all speculative. No recruiter would rate Egan the equal or even close to Tambling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back