Richmond's 7 Consecutive MCG Games

Is Richmond's 7 consecutive games at the MVG unfair?

• Yes

Votes: 156 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 188 54.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for others but I'm fairly clear on the fact that Collingwood obtained an unfair advantage with their last 8 games at the G in 2010, and I support Collingwood. The same applies to Richmond in 2019.

It's not salt, I just don't think it's right and the AFL know it was completely avoidable.

It's not even an attack on Richmond.
Whether you or anyone else is of the opinion that it was unfair is irrelevant. It's happened. We won this year and you won in 2010. What's the point in talking about it as it doesn't change anything? Yeah, we had to overcome critical injuries earlier in the year and then win 12 in a row to win the flag. Now that's a fact and something to be celebrated. The stuff here is just opinion and just like arseholes, everyone has one and it doesn't change a thing.

Whether you or anyone else is of the opinion that it was unfair is irrelevant. It's happened. We won this year and you won in 2010. What's the point in talking about it as it doesn't change anything? Yeah, we had to overcome critical injuries earlier in the year and then win 12 in a row to win the flag. Now that's a fact and something to be celebrated. The stuff here is just opinion and just like arseholes, everyone has one and it doesn't change a thing.
Whether you think my or anyone else's opinion is relevant or not, I am (and anyone else is) entitled to share theirs.

The discussion is worth having because I doubt there are many people who think it's a sound practice to have any club - let alone the two most rich and powerful ones in Melbourne - enjoy even greater benefit from a poor fixturing outcome by AFL HQ.

You're misunderstanding the basis of the discussion - it's not to take down Richmond's achievement, celebrate all you like. It's about acknowledging an issue that created a benefit and hoping the powers that be fix it going forward.

Whether you think my or anyone else's opinion is relevant or not, I am (and anyone else is) entitled to share theirs.

The discussion is worth having because I doubt there are many people who think it's a sound practice to have any club - let alone the two most rich and powerful ones in Melbourne - enjoy even greater benefit from a poor fixturing outcome by AFL HQ.

You're misunderstanding the basis of the discussion - it's not to take down Richmond's achievement, celebrate all you like. It's about acknowledging an issue that created a benefit and hoping the powers that be fix it going forward.
However, you cannot discuss the advantage of our run home without also mentioning the disadvantage we had in the first half of the year with our draw. Therein lies the problem with this discussion of opinions. Unless you can look at the year as a whole, you are not seriously giving the topic a balanced view. Last time I looked, games at the start, middle and end of the year were worth exactly the same value - 4 points. The bye at the end of the year mitigates much of any team's soft runs into the finals. Every team has a rest. We then had to travel interstate to a hostile environment, absorb everything Brisbane had to throw at us and still won easily. Hardly unfair if you look at it like that.

However, you cannot discuss the advantage of our run home without also mentioning the disadvantage we had in the first half of the year with our draw. Therein lies the problem with this discussion of opinions. Unless you can look at the year as a whole, you are not seriously giving the topic a balanced view. Last time I looked, games at the start, middle and end of the year were worth exactly the same value - 4 points. The bye at the end of the year mitigates much of any team's soft runs into the finals. Every team has a rest. We then had to travel interstate to a hostile environment, absorb everything Brisbane had to throw at us and still won easily. Hardly unfair if you look at it like that.
It worked out to be 8 or 9!!! Unlucky to play so many in a row at home. Some of your away games, well most are home ones!!
What would 7 or 8 in a row at Optus do for West Coast. One can only dream

It will only be a fair comp when everyone plays EVERYONE twice, home and away. Enlargethe squads if you have to for injury compensation.
Just saying. That's only 34 games. Other comps around the world play 38 upwards and other cup games etc.
#makeitaflnotvfl

It will only be a fair comp when everyone plays EVERYONE twice, home and away. Enlargethe squads if you have to for injury compensation.
Just saying. That's only 34 games. Other comps around the world play 38 upwards and other cup games etc.
#makeitaflnotvfl
No s**t Sherlock. We all know it's a stuffed draw.

It worked out to be 8 or 9!!! Unlucky to play so many in a row at home. Some of your away games, well most are home ones!!
What would 7 or 8 in a row at Optus do for West Coast. One can only dream
This has been discussed many times. Our home games also do not give us any home ground advantage many times as we also play co tenants. I noticed you didn't mention that in your post. Just the advantages without the disadvantages. Again in the same vein, when you play your Derby it takes a lot out of your team. Imagine having to play co tenants and thus Derby like games for 8 weeks straight. Not so easy.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, I haven't read through the thread yet.
Richmond played 13 games at their designated home ground, and West Coast, Freemantle etc, played 12 Games at their designated home ground, yet the system is so unfairly advantaging Richmond ?
Is that it ?

Don't know if it's been mentioned, I haven't read through the thread yet.
Richmond played 13 games at their designated home ground, and West Coast, Freemantle etc, played 12 Games at their designated home ground, yet the system is so unfairly advantaging Richmond ?
Is that it ?
17 in Melbourne plus finals. Fair if everyone plays each team twice home and away I reckon. Just saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has been discussed many times. Our home games also do not give us any home ground advantage many times as we also play co tenants. I noticed you didn't mention that in your post. Just the advantages without the disadvantages. Again in the same vein, when you play your Derby it takes a lot out of your team. Imagine having to play co tenants and thus Derby like games for 8 weeks straight. Not so easy.
Playing in front of 70000 supporters must also be tough

How much noise does 70,000 fans in a 100,000 seat stadium make compared to 50,000 fans in a 50,000 seat stadium, like Optus ?
Similar. I have experienced both. However looks better on Tele when full. I'd take 70000 fans in the stadium week in week out

The difference between the MCG and Marvel is like the difference between Earth and Mars. Indoor v Outdoor etc
Mate I know. I am not having a go or a personal attack. I only started with the initial statement of a fair comp. And for reasons unbeknownst to me, playing each other twice is too hard a concept to work out!!?
That's my beef, not with any club. I personally don't think the Afl don't want a truly fair comp. Not sure why??

Mate I know. I am not having a go or a personal attack. I only started with the initial statement of a fair comp. And for reasons unbeknownst to me, playing each other twice is too hard a concept to work out!!?
That's my beef, not with any club. I personally don't think the Afl don't want a truly fair comp. Not sure why??
Of course a draw that allows each team to play each other twice is the most optimum. However, the logistics of the season require that the draw is not optimal, but it is what it is, and Richmond's draw after its bye was very much negated by its draw prior, so to say that we somehow gained some sort of advantage out of this is nonsensical.

17 in Melbourne plus finals. Fair if everyone plays each team twice home and away I reckon. Just saying
This would mean Richmond play 25 games in Melbourne, 1 in Geelong and travel interstate 8 times, which is just 3 more than now. Eagles would travel interstate 16 times, which is 6 more than now. You lot would be whinging even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back