Strategy Richmond's leadership group/Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Miller can be ruled out.
In any movie or game...it's always PRIVATE Miller...never a Captain.

never let facts ruin a good story.

Lynch or Vlaustin imo. Both in the right age bracket. Lynch was captain at GC.

Edwards is actually older than Cotchin, so I doubt he'd get it.
I think it appeals to Lynch not to be captain at Richmond. He came to us so he wouldn’t be the main man.
I could see him as a VC as Jack has said numerous times he is a good leader behind closed doors

Punt rd has not only become the breeding ground of champions but now leaders 😀

the role of captain involves a lot of dealing with the media and attending and speaking at functions

shedda, vlas or Grimmes all probably well placed to handle that load and not affect their game if Cotch wants to step aside
Jack , not considered for well discussed reasons for a long time could also be a good choice for a season or two

was not vlas capt vic metro ?

And a wildcard , if Pickett has a stellar season in 2020 , could he be a candidate in 21 based on life experience ?

And a wildcard , if Pickett has a stellar season in 2020 , could he be a candidate in 21 based on life experience ?

Everything in his past aside, you'd never make a guy who's been in the club for a year and a bit captain over guys who have been there close to ten tears.

It'd just be tokenism with absolutely nothing to gain.

Personally i think this year 2020 will be Cotchin's last year as captain and will hand it down to Vlastuin and probably play 1 maybe 2 more years after that then retire
Yeh. If we win the premiership this year he might even call it a day completely. 3 premierships is amazing.

All depends on how he's feeling though. Hard guy to gauge. Could want to go for another 5 years if the body's ok.

Everything in his past aside, you'd never make a guy who's been in the club for a year and a bit captain over guys who have been there close to ten tears.

It'd just be tokenism with absolutely nothing to gain.
I lead off saying "wild card" as a club we are in a very good position to give the captaincy to some one who has 1) earnt it 2) is ready for it

For it to land in Picketts lap he would have to earn it in the eyes of the playing group and coaching staff and guys we are promoting as the main chances would have to have things going on in their lives ( form , injury or personal issues) that would see them not offered or decline

For Pickett to earn that honor in 1 or 2 seasons is unlikely
For all the other candidates to fall over also unlikely
But we were unlikely to make finals in '17 let alone win the flag

Just how the Pickett fairy story unfolds will make for good viewing for us Y&Bers
And I'm proud of the club for making him welcome
Letting him do his stuff in the VFL , the environment created in both the AFL & VFL seems pretty special and the joy and support for others very genuine
So I wouldn't be surprised to see a not promoted by us get captaincy

KiwiTiger Tiger71

l8JGoFa.jpg

any whispers about cotch stepping down before this season?

I think the you can't forget this current leadership group and their positions on the field.

I'm pretty sure the club has stated having a leader (and yes they are all becoming leaders) in each area of the ground has helped add stability to the playing group.

So I think you put them into groups of Fwds - Mids - Backs.

Fwds: JR, Lynch then it gets a bit thin IMO, maybe Rioli then George
Mids: Cotch, Dusty, Lambert, Graham then Ross. Clearly Shedda is next best, but looking forward, age probably sees him miss out
Backs: Rance (Gone), Vlas / Grimes I can't split. then Houli, Astbury

So in a couple of years, I think it will look like Grimes/Vlas (only one, but I can't pick which one) as Capt, Lambert and Lynch as VC's...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back