Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, Hawthorn post up:

This could have been about 8,000 words to be honest but it's all about trust.

I didn't see any of it yesterday. From players to their teammates, from players in their own roles, from movement patterns, from everything. And that's why the second quarter in particular was just horrific.

I think the path to fixing it is relatively easy, but it requires a large confidence boost for a group that probably has none of it right now.
God I hope someone at the club reads these. Brilliant.

God I hope someone at the club reads these. Brilliant.

Funny you mention that cause at the start of the year I got a call from one of the membership staff asking if I wanted to upgrade my membership from the standard adult GA for home and away.

I was like, nah all good. I prefer to sit close to the front of level 3 so I can see everything going on, upgrading would put me closer to ground level and also take away most chances to invite mates, etc.

Then the staff member goes oh I know, I read The Shinboner. So shout out to that membership staff member!

Glad you highlighted that Duursma passage. Did Larkey call for it or did Zane get a bit spooked? The other week he took a shot instead of squaring it so perhaps he second guessed himself. I thought Larkey should've pointed at the goals.
LDU the same in the 1st quarter, didn't quite take the onus and nail a goal. Potential momentum plays that were not taken.

Thanks Rick…., love your analysis.
Trust is earned through being predictable to each other, Clarko is responsible for this. He’s falling short here.
Appears no direction and simple team instructions and rules from the coaches. Team rules will ensure everyone is on the same page, and are predictable to each other.
Team rules and small wins, will create trust.
  • who is protecting who in a marking contest?… the player coming forward, or the player going back with the flight? If the players know, they can attack the ball with more intensity.
  • who has right of way when 2 players are hunting a ground ball?, player running towards goal or player running back? If the players know, they can gather the ball cleanly and the other can block the opposition.
  • Ball in congestion, are we trying to get the ball and our numbers forward or back of the congestion.? Just a little tap out forward or back to our numbers can result in many more clearance wins, and forward 50 entries.
  • where are we standing at stoppages?, who is sweeping at the back? who is covering player x?
  • what are are small defenders first instructions, win the football or wrap up their opposition?
  • where’s Xerri trying to get the footy to?

Last edited:

I didn't see any of it yesterday. From players to their teammates, from players in their own roles, from movement patterns, from everything. And that's why the second quarter in particular was just horrific.

I think the path to fixing it is relatively easy, but it requires a large confidence boost for a group that probably has none of it right now.
Love your work as always Rick

Funny you mention that cause at the start of the year I got a call from one of the membership staff asking if I wanted to upgrade my membership from the standard adult GA for home and away.

I was like, nah all good. I prefer to sit close to the front of level 3 so I can see everything going on, upgrading would put me closer to ground level and also take away most chances to invite mates, etc.

Then the staff member goes oh I know, I read The Shinboner. So shout out to that membership staff member!

I imagine the membership staffer doesn't have a lot of sway when it comes to game day tactics.

Glad you highlighted that Duursma passage. Did Larkey call for it or did Zane get a bit spooked? The other week he took a shot instead of squaring it so perhaps he second guessed himself. I thought Larkey should've pointed at the goals.
LDU the same in the 1st quarter, didn't quite take the onus and nail a goal. Potential momentum plays that were not taken.
Yeah the LDU one was frustrating.

This piece isn't all about North, or even mostly about North, but there are relevant parts. Those who read the non-North stuff regularly know about the minutes played by age concept.

Basically I think using the average age and average games played for a list tells us next to nothing, so I track every player's individual minutes played, sort into age groups and look at a team's list that way. This is what North's looks like after six rounds:

North Melbourne Minutes 2024 R06.jpg

The piece has every team's individual graphic and then three league wide comparisons: age 22 year and under, between age 23-28 years, then age 29 year and over.

Combine all the young blokes above with the complete lack of experience below and what you get is ... what you've got.

Minutes 2024 Over 29 R06.jpg

This piece isn't all about North, or even mostly about North, but there are relevant parts. Those who read the non-North stuff regularly know about the minutes played by age concept.

Basically I think using the average age and average games played for a list tells us next to nothing, so I track every player's individual minutes played, sort into age groups and look at a team's list that way. This is what North's looks like after six rounds:

View attachment 1967780

The piece has every team's individual graphic and then three league wide comparisons: age 22 year and under, between age 23-28 years, then age 29 year and over.

Combine all the young blokes above with the complete lack of experience below and what you get is ... what you've got.

View attachment 1967782
Good lord

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 1967780

View attachment 1967782
It's pretty clear that North needs to get some older, more experienced heads in to balance the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1967780

View attachment 1967782

False data in my opinion Rick. Particularly in our case.

Let's drop Sheezel and Ford for Shiels and Greenwood then? Should see an upturn in our form.

Again, if we put Curtis in the VFL and get Kayne Turner back we should see an improvement.

Based on the above, McDonald should be our best player right? Right?

It's pretty clear that North needs to get some older, more experienced heads in to balance the list.

It's not clear at all.

Our best player is a ******* 19 year old.

Our second and third best players this year are 21 (Powell) and 22 (Comben) year olds.

You know who aren't our best players?

Shiels - 33
Greenwood - 32
Corr - 30
McDonald - 29
Tucker - 27

The simple answer is, we need good footballers, not ******* spuds.

If we had 15 Sheezels this side would be a premiership contender. Age is only relevant for your role players if you have a core of excellent players around them.

Collingwood, Geelong, Brisbane....their veterans are still quality. Ours are putrid to say the least.

Unfortunately I don't see a way to immediately rectify it. Any blokes that'd consider coming here right now are out of other options and probably cooked.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Let's drop Sheezel and Ford for Shiels and Greenwood then? Should see an upturn in our form.

Again, if we put Curtis in the VFL and get Kayne Turner back we should see an improvement.

I think the data is relevant in pointing out good sides generally have good veterans.

We got .

Without putting words into Rick's mouth, I don't think he's saying add more old campaigners into the team and we'll better.

Give us Geelong's, Brisbane's, Collingwood's and we would be.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

To be honest I think it's pretty clear in the piece there's no performing veterans on North's list, and not just 'get some old blokes and everything will be fine'.

It's not clear at all.

Our best player is a ******* 19 year old.

Our second and third best players this year are 21 (Powell) and 22 (Comben) year olds.

You know who aren't our best players?

Shiels - 33
Greenwood - 32
Corr - 30
McDonald - 29
Tucker - 27

The simple answer is, we need good footballers, not ******* spuds.

If we had 15 Sheezels this side would be a premiership contender. Age is only relevant for your role players if you have a core of excellent players around them.

100 percent. This whole experience line is a worthy discussion point, but if they aren't any good or offer leadership, they are virtually worthless. Yes we will break down at times due to a lack of experience, but at the moment we break down all the time regardless of experience. Just coach better and recruit better players.

No, most players that are over 29 either currently are, or have been in the top handful of players for that club.

Journeymen statistically don't make up a large portion of this cohort.

You do have a point though. Posters here want to bring in older players, but it's going to be nearly impossible to bring anyone that we actually need, we can only get fringe/journeymen.

We simply didn't get the guns we needed during the compromised drafts.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

False interpretation, not false data.

To be honest I think it's pretty clear in the piece there's no performing veterans on North's list, and not just 'get some old blokes and everything will be fine'.
I totally understand. And as Passmore said, it's not a simple matter of adding older players - any older player brought in through trade or free agency would have to be a decent player, a strong leader and most importantly, would have to be willing to see out their career at North (and hopefully be seen as the type of bloke who helped develop the careers of the younger brigade in a similar manner to Hodge at the bears).

And realistically, more than one would be needed - more than a couple in fact.

The alternative is that the rebuild will go on until the team matures and the list profile begins to normalise (without the gaps) and hopefully the resilience and desire is still there amongst those who've been on the end of too many defeats throughout their careers.

It stands out to me at least, that the gaps represent the period when the recruiting and development was below par (to put it mildly) and of course, the compromised drafts as pointed out by Mcarcherey .

You lost me at “easy”

PTSD with Scotts era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back