Summer Rio - Worst olympics in living memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back from the closing Ceremony and can't be bothered writing a full review. It's funny how different your perspective is of an event when you are not in Australia and actually experiencing it in person, without the huge focus on Australian athletes.

From a purely sporting/athletic perspective I thought these olympics were outstanding.

Overall they had a totally different feeling to london, but in a great way. I have no doubt Tokyo will be different again. It took courage for the ioc to pick rio and it was funny in Thomas bachs speech when he said rio pulled off a miracle.

The Japan segment with Mario was simply brilliant.

Does anyone give a s**t about the olympics anymore? A lot of people i know couldnt give a stuff about how fast someone can run, jump, hop, row, dive, gymnastic, synchronise swim, ride a horse etc etc.

Does anyone give a s**t about the olympics anymore? A lot of people i know couldnt give a stuff about how fast someone can run, jump, hop, row, dive, gymnastic, synchronise swim, ride a horse etc etc.

I still like the Olympics but I think some events should be removed, over the years they have added too many events that I question why is this part of the Olympics ...

The time difference and poor performance by our Olympic team is what annoyed me the most, however there were some great surprises and Chalmers wining the 100 free was awesome.

Japan will be next level and will work out great for us in Australia as all the big finals will be in the evening. I look forward to watching it on TV and not my phone.

Japan will be next level and will work out great for us in Australia as all the big finals will be in the evening. I look forward to watching it on TV and not my phone.

Wouldn't count on that. NBC pay serious money to schedule things in American prime time.

I thought it was a good Olympics considering all the down stuff on it. I think it was better than 2004. Timezone for us was a big issue. Rio is a party city. London wanted to be flashy. Tokyo will be a little different.

There were so many amazing moments. Bolt, Biles, Chalmers, Singapore swimmer, Phelps, Japan winning 2nd in the relay, Manuel, Brazil winning in the Volleyball, Neymar slotting in that penalty, Murray winning a gold, Del Potro v. Djokovic, Puig winning gold, Brazilian high jumper, Elaine Thompson, Countries winning their first medals like Fiji, Niger, Puerto Rico. 87 nations winning medals. It was pretty good.

Also Tokyo won't bend down to NBC. They have their own TV commitments. I mean Japan doesn't even let FOM do their own camera work in F1.

They could get away with using existing facilities and it would already crap over Rio.

I think the Tokyo games are going to be something spectacular. The pools will be blue, the track will be red, the facilities will be out of this world, and tourists will flock there.

Rio will go down as one of the worst Olympics in living memory - scandal after scandal, and empty stands galore. Having said that, there will still be some great Australian moments from the games - Kyle Chalmers, Chloe Esposito, among others.
The velodrome will be sleak and new. They have redesigned the Olympic stadium and the pool will probably be better than the ice cube I bet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So do the IOC schedule ALL the events? What does the Japanese Olympic Committee do then? Stock up on sushi?

They may have a fondness for sushi but they operate under the IOC's direction.

Obviously they're not going to hold everything in the morning for US TV but some stuff will be. It happened in Beijing and it'll happen in Tokyo.

only thing i really cared to watch (weightlifting and boxing) wasn't ever shown- so i get the C7 app. have to pay to watch what i wanted?
when i did catch a glimpse of this or that there was no one there. so from my admittedly brief flirtation, i would have to say the dullest date i've ever been on. and no of course i didn't watch the inadian commonwealth games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back