Player Watch Rising Star 2022 Discussion

Who wins the 2022 Rising Star?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cumberland gets the gong this week I think
5 goals would suggest so, on the back of a few good weeks too (yes I'm aware of the mistake he made).

Obviously debuted too late in the season to compete with the field. Would have been really interesting if he played from round 1 and had of put together a season of 45+ goals.

He's currently averaging 2.75 goals from 4 actual games, as his "debut" was actually as an unused medisub against the Swan, and his first game on the field was only 3 quarters as I think he was the sub in that too.

5 goals would suggest so, on the back of a few good weeks too (yes I'm aware of the mistake he made).

Obviously debuted too late in the season to compete with the field. Would have been really interesting if he played from round 1 and had of put together a season of 45+ goals.

He's currently averaging 2.75 goals from 4 actual games, as his "debut" was actually as an unused medisub against the Swan, and his first game on the field was only 3 quarters as I think he was the sub in that too.

He is a gem and Richmond fans should rightfully be proud of him

Which players would be unlucky to miss a nomination with 3 weeks left?

Macdonald from Hawthorn would be unlucky, our best first year player.

just put a quick list together, if you can think of anymore then add it to the list

Connor MacDonald - Hawks 17 games (13.8 disp 3.6 mk 1.9 tk)
Finn Maginness - Hawks 13 games (13.2 disp 2.9 mk 3.1 tk)
James Blanck - Hawks 6 games (8.2 disp 5.5 spoils)
Jake Soligo - Adel 13 games (13.8 disp 2.1 mk 3.5 tk)
Sam Durham - Ess 17 games (15.1 disp 4.9 mk)
Josh Gibcus - Rich 14 games (9.5 disp 5.5 spoils)
Paul Curtis - North Melb 13 games (9.6 disp 3.5 mk 2.6 tk)
Flynn Perez - North Melb 14 games(12.4 disp 3.4 mk 2.4 tk)
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - StKilda 15 games (13.3 disp 4.6 mk 1.9 tk)
Marcus Windhager - StKilda 15 games (10.9 disp 2.7 mk 2.1 tk)
Nathan O'Driscoll - Fremantle 7 games (14.6 disp 3.9 mk 1.7 tk)
Brady Hough - WCE 13 games (12.7 disp 4.6 mk 0.9 tk)
Jai Culley - WCE 3 games (13.7 disp 2.3 mk 6.7 tk)
Elijah Hollands - GCS 2 games (12 disp 3 mk 3.5 tk)

Last edited:
just put a quick list together, if you can think of anymore then add it to the list

Ollie Henry

List needs more Hawthorn players

Beaten by Lewis aswell.

I wasn't going through every game he's played just games against the big name forwards. I didn't include games like against Melbourne where he beat Ben Brown or Brisbane where McStay beat him.

Lewis probably won the contest but his numbers in that game look better because he was on the end of some elite ball use. He kicked 3 straight. 2 were from unstoppable passes and 1 was out the back when geelong threw numbers forward at the end of the game. Lewis didn't have a contested mark when he had been clunking everything early in the year. He didn't have a scoring shot outside of unstoppable passes and a freebie at the end of the game. I think it's harsh to say SDK was beaten when he was very good when he was actually able to be in the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just widened the gap back to Newcombe in third.
Not sure why this is so controversial.
Holding down KPD in the top side v dime a dozen mid amongst talentless rabble.

Newcombe has been very good this year, but he is only a mid.

If I recall correctly that "dime a dozen mid amongst talentless rabble" was best on ground, leading the way to a victory over your mob on Easter Monday. Pretty impressive that a kid in his 11th game was able to go head to head with a top side's midfield without any support from his talentless rabble teammates and secure that win.

If I recall correctly that "dime a dozen mid amongst talentless rabble" was best on ground, leading the way to a victory over your mob on Easter Monday. Pretty impressive that a kid in his 11th game was able to go head to head with a top side's midfield without any support from his talentless rabble teammates and secure that win.
Congrats? He can book ski holidays for September among all his fans.
Already said he's had a good year but trying to argue he's the clear runner up this year is a tad fanciful.

Arguably easier to hold down KPD in a top team. Geelong concede the least inside 50's by a long way. He gets a lot more protection up the ground than most teams. Hardest part is getting into a top team

Congrats? He can book ski holidays for September among all his fans.
Already said he's had a good year but trying to argue he's the clear runner up this year is a tad fanciful.
I wasn't arguing anything about placing. Just pointing out that you're writing off his position on the field and yet it was him from that position on the field that won us the game against your team. A 20 year old from Poowong in his 11th game with no support around him (by your assessment) beating a premiership capable midfield. And with our sole ruckman subbed off at quarter time.

He got well beaten last week.

But if you look back at the big name key forwards he's played so far his record is excellent.

He's been beaten by Dixon and Lynch although he fought on well against Lynch and was still important. He beat Max King. And he's completely dominated McKay once and Naughton now twice.

He's also received coaches votes in 3 other games.
Josh Kennedy toweled SDK up too. Which is no insult, but let's keep it real.

Arguably easier to hold down KPD in a top team. Geelong concede the least inside 50's by a long way. He gets a lot more protection up the ground than most teams. Hardest part is getting into a top team
Geelong have the conceded the fewest inside fifties this season by a wide margin.

Invariably, when they do concede an inside fifty, their struggling opponents are booting it long, hoping more than anything, and playing right into the Geelong defender's hands. I couldn't think of a better situation for a young KPD to be in. Much easier than playing in Hawthorn's dysfunctional shite midfield and getting tagged in your 19th game.

But good luck in trying to reason with any of the Geelong sploogers in this thread. They're up and about.

I wasn't going through every game he's played just games against the big name forwards. I didn't include games like against Melbourne where he beat Ben Brown or Brisbane where McStay beat him.

Lewis probably won the contest but his numbers in that game look better because he was on the end of some elite ball use. He kicked 3 straight. 2 were from unstoppable passes and 1 was out the back when geelong threw numbers forward at the end of the game. Lewis didn't have a contested mark when he had been clunking everything early in the year. He didn't have a scoring shot outside of unstoppable passes and a freebie at the end of the game. I think it's harsh to say SDK was beaten when he was very good when he was actually able to be in the contest.
Unstoppable passes? The first one maybe but that second one where he basically babied SDK to mark it over his head wasn’t. The last you have a point with but SDK wasn’t that good on offense either which he has at times.

Back