AFL Autopsy RND 7: Draw Against The Pies

Could've, should've, would've but, Collingwood could say the same.
Major positives for us.
Hepps keeps sticking up our arses, experience today along with Goldy was invaluable.
Draper is not far off what we need him to be.
Cox is back, Hobbs has gone backwards.
Overall not a bad result.
If that's the best we get out of Cox I'll pass...
He was no good today...
You cannot turn the ball over like he does and where he does it.
EDIT: I watched the first qtr and he actually started very well.
But those howler turnovers have to cease.

Last edited:
I took this as a win tbh. I can’t shake the feeling that Collingwood find a way to kick another goal if Langers slotted it.

Ooof... I'll so take that draw with our injuries and the gears the Pies showed against Port.

Going forward I so desperately want to see Ridley at 100% again so we can let Martin off the chain further forward, like we sort of had to do today via circumstance...

Well done Bombers...

Thought Andy Mcgrath was close to BOG today. Huge job on Bobby but his impact was immense, and Bobby still had his little spurts but he was the guy that worried me the most when the ball went fwd and Mcgrath nullified him

Parish was very good aswell today, as was Stringer. Zac Merrett the fairly norm output these days

Davey poor for 3 qtrs then thought his last he offered something

Durham excellent and have to say i got that onball call very wrong, his influence there has been immense the last 3-4 weeks. His speed, agility repeat efforts and competitiveness been phenomenal

Was surprised atthe height we picked but i think it was take away the intercept mark which would allow them to rebound - not sure what rhe stats say with that

Kelly terrible, get him out of the side. Moves it so slowly and just not to the teams advantage any more so than when he recieves the ball

Heppell not too disimilar but is atleast a fair bit better than Kelly

Would hope 2 of Perkins/Setterfield/Tsatas/Hind on a wing instead of 1 of these and then moving Cox back permanently until Ridley is right is better

Thought Andy Mcgrath was close to BOG today. Huge job on Bobby but his impact was immense, and Bobby still had his little spurts but he was the guy that worried me the most when the ball went fwd and Mcgrath nullified him

Parish was very good aswell today, as was Stringer. Zac Merrett the fairly norm output these days

Davey poor for 3 qtrs then thought his last he offered something

Durham excellent and have to say i got that onball call very wrong, his influence there has been immense the last 3-4 weeks. His speed, agility repeat efforts and competitiveness been phenomenal

Was surprised atthe height we picked but i think it was take away the intercept mark which would allow them to rebound - not sure what rhe stats say with that

Kelly terrible, get him out of the side. Moves it so slowly and just not to the teams advantage any more so than when he recieves the ball

Heppell not too disimilar but is atleast a fair bit better than Kelly

Would hope 2 of Perkins/Setterfield/Tsatas/Hind on a wing instead of 1 of these and then moving Cox back permanently until Ridley is right is better
That’s a good call actually. I think our height took away a bit of Howe’s intercepts. Is there a stat for that?

Im feeling better about this year

What weve done all year means nothing if we drop to the eagles

Eagles, North and Rich in the next 4 a real chance to setup the season

Pies immense speed and pressure really showed up guys like Kelly, Heppell, Lav, Cox, Hobbs who are all on the slower side

Id say our i50 diff, stoppage diff and probably even pressure is much better than this time last year

Reid - Lav
Ridley - Kelly
Hind - Davey
Guelfi - Goldy
Perkins - Hobbs
Setterfield - Heppell

Would make me feel better

I know people dont like Hind, but if Davey aint ready then that fwd line needs speed to apply pressure

Im feeling better about this year

What weve done all year means nothing if we drop to the eagles

Eagles, North and Rich in the next 4 a real chance to setup the season

Pies immense speed and pressure really showed up guys like Kelly, Heppell, Lav, Cox, Hobbs who are all on the slower side

Id say our i50 diff, stoppage diff and probably even pressure is much better than this time last year

Reid - Lav
Ridley - Kelly
Hind - Davey
Guelfi - Goldy
Perkins - Hobbs
Setterfield - Heppell

Would make me feel better

I know people dont like Hind, but if Davey aint ready then that fwd line needs speed to apply pressure
You still love Lav?

I said to my mate when we were 1 point down at 8 minute mark I just want a point to be on level terms. Had no idea that it was going to be a 1 point score to us in that entirely of that time. What an arm wrestle.

Martin is getting all of the same ball.

I really don't understand it.

Ooof... I'll so take that draw with our injuries and the gears the Pies showed against Port.

Going forward I so desperately want to see Ridley at 100% again so we can let Martin off the chain further forward, like we sort of had to do today via circumstance...

Well done Bombers...

Yep, Martin down back has to end. I would replace him with Hind so McGrath, Hind and Redman all offer different offence tricks down back.

I'd replace Laverde with Hayes. Then when Reid is fit and ready he replaces Hayes and Ridley replaces Heppell.

Martin at half forward and can use his time in the backline as "learnings" about occasionally pushing behind the ball to help get the ball out of there. However, playing Wright, Draper, Stringer, Jones, and Langford up forward means they should be rotating through 3 positions in the forward line, with Gresham, Guelfi, Martin and Caldwell rotating through the other 3 spots. This includes, Stringer playing in the square, Martin running through the wing, Caldwell playing primarily midfield, and Draper in the ruck. That is still one too many talls unless Stringer plays as an old-fashioned centre-man

Don't reckon we'd have gotten any points today if Martin hadn't shifted forward for the 4th.
But I also think the way the game's played at the moment you need someone like him winning the ball in the back half. Plus he's a genuinely good defender. It's a cliche but 'it's a good problem to have'. We are definitely missing his entires and creativity in attack, but I also think our team defence would be worse off without him back there.

Davey I felt got himself into good positions a few times, but he was clearly overawed especially in the 4th. His nerves made him fumbly. Also his forward pressure today felt ineffective. Against a side like Collingwood that is good at moving the ball out of back 50 it really made it seem like sheepdog stuff, 2 tackles inside 50 is awful and way down on our average.

Pies going coast to coast for two goals in a row was disappointing. Then double 50 for a shot at goal, Stringer spraying it from 15m out all hurt.

Also I reckon another 10 minuted from Tsatas would've had more impact than Hind today, and probably wouldn't have given up a goal off the back of his first involvement.

Overall I think there's a lot more to like today than to get hung up on. Could fall off a cliff again but starting to think we'll finish 6th-8th.

Overall I think there's a lot more to like today than to get hung up on. Could fall off a cliff again but starting to think we'll finish 6th-8th.
I think we'll win 12-14 games but top 4 is out of reach unless we play perfect footy during rounds 16-18 (Cats, Pies & Demons all at the G)

The sooner Ridley gets back in the better, he wouldn't have made a difference in our two losses so far but I think we're a 2-3 game better over the course of a season with him in the side. (Might have beat port in sa last year if he didn't go off so early)

Small forward really needs to get addressed, i felt for Rutten during his last season because he had * all in that department once Tippa retired.

It’s tough to say whether this result is a genuine positive or just another false dawn.

We should glimpses of a team that could do genuine damage this year, obviously not contenders by any means but perhaps break the elusive drought.

If we drop any of the game to WC/North/Richmond over the next month or suffer a collapse like last year then all the progression we have made in the first 6 weeks will have been for absolutely nothing. That being said, I think we are trending in the right direction and if we can get to 7-1-3 after Dreamtime it will set our season up.

It’s tough to say whether this result is a genuine positive or just another false dawn.
I don't know if we've 'arrived' ... I think you've got to do that first to have a false dawn... but I think it's safe to say we're getting close to the most out of the team we've got on the field as possible right now. We're not a list stacked full of prodigious talent like other sides in the comp, gotta work harder for everything.

If anyone thinks that a loss would have been better than a draw watch the coaches press conference. Do you really think we would have been better off with a close loss and McCrae being Smug about it? It totally bamboozeled him!!!! Contrast that with Brad. Couldn’t hide his smile.It was like that movie the 300 we took a bit of skin of them today!

Absolute roller-coaster 24 hours...

Up for the dawn service, then straight home to watch Liverpool * their season (while Everton saved theirs!...campaigners)

Survive THAT classic game, including my boy Langers missing the potential match winner. Meanwhile, my wife brings home a spur-of-the-moment purchase...a puppy! Timed her walk through the door to coincide with the Last Post, no less.

To bed early, feeling tired and more than just tipsy. Up very early, hungover and hungry. Decide to get Maccas, then last-minute change of heart to go KFC in the neighbouring town. On the road joining the two towns, I get side-swiped by a ******* stag that takes out my passenger mirror...and KFC was shut anyway!

So I'm sat here with my eventual Maccas wondering wtf just happened these last 24!

Back