AFL Toast RND 17: Win Against The Crom

Remove this Banner Ad

Perkins best game for the club

Basically what he did 1st half last weem but for the whole game

Held Dawson to just 9 touches in the first half. Love seeing him in cbas alot more

Thats the best ive seen us play in forever long, even since beating sydney at the MCG last year. I think that was better

Hilarious. If we'd done what the Crows did people would whinge it was an honourable loss, cheap goals mean nothing.

Yet on the flip apparently cheap goals in the last 5 minutes against us undoes all the good done against another top 8 contender.

No pleasing some people.

Who’s saying it undid all the good? People are allowed to say it was a good win whilst at the same time a little disappointing we didn’t put them away at the end. % is going to be pretty important you’d think, given how close it is this year

Who’s saying it undid all the good? People are allowed to say it was a good win whilst at the same time a little disappointing we didn’t put them away at the end. % is going to be pretty important you’d think, given how close it is this year
Never said they can't. 👍

Congratulations today - far too good and showed up all the frailties in our side that we were fearing. You guys were miles too good at the stoppage and centre clearances when it mattered and the 18 point final margin was not a real reflection of the gulf in class today - it felt more like a 10 goal loss and would have been close to that had you kicked straighter. It baffled many of us when we went in without covering Butts (so to speak) when you have a tall forward line and it played out exactly like we thought - too good in the air.

All the best for the rest of the year - your side deserves finals, ours on todays showing certainly does not

200.gif

Congratulations today - far too good and showed up all the frailties in our side that we were fearing. You guys were miles too good at the stoppage and centre clearances when it mattered and the 18 point final margin was not a real reflection of the gulf in class today - it felt more like a 10 goal loss and would have been close to that had you kicked straighter. It baffled many of us when we went in without covering Butts (so to speak) when you have a tall forward line and it played out exactly like we thought - too good in the air.

All the best for the rest of the year - your side deserves finals, ours on todays showing certainly does not
Nah, I reckon the crows deserve finals too

One of the better kicking teams in the league and you defend hard. We had a good game on a deck we play well. Probably our best game for the year tbh.
And I was still nervous with 90s to go and a 3 goal lead

Always enjoy watching the crows play

39d = out of the way
I guess not so many of those in the middle as in the past though, whereas he used to be filling a hole wherever we needed him and usually we would have multiple holes, now he goes wherever he is most damaging because the majority of the roles he previously had to fill out of necessity now have much better players in them.

A lot to like about how we played that game. I don't reckon I've seen our skills look better as a team than they did in that first half for a long time.
There were many great contributors but I want to highlight a few:
Wright - really rebounded from a couple of tough weeks against some very good opponents and was a big presence all day.
Heppell - probably his best game of the year for the club. He's actually gotten better the longer the year has gone on - which suggests maybe he's not quite as 'done' as many thought. Still a fair way to go in the year though so we'll see but my personal view is he probably has another year in him and still has a bit to offer.
Hobbs - was terrific early in the game. Not sure what his midfield splits were like but really happy with how he's coming along. Its easy to forget he's only in his 2nd year and still only 19. A really bright future ahead of him.
Perkins - was very good and is starting to show that he may actually be a pretty good midfielder in time. I had him pegged as a half forward that didn't quite have the right skillset to be a midfielder but more games like this and i'll have to re-assess.
Parish - I thought this was his best game since returning and even though he made some blues at times - he also had some really impactful passages of play and some really nice clean pickups.

The only real negative was the injury to Ridley however i'll assume that if we were willing to put him back on the ground for any length of time that we are confident its not a super serious injury and maybe its something that would settle in a few weeks. But who knows....

I'm not too negative on the final scoreline. Frankly I reckon Crows were lucky to even be that close. They kicked quite a few goals out of their arse and still couldn't catch us.

Things to consider changing:
Weideman continues to struggle. Will we make a change there?
Shiel as the sub - no impact whatsoever. I think its time to either play him a full game or send him to the VFL. I'd give him the full game but predominantly as a half forward and let Hobbs, Perkins and Caldwell continue to enjoy greater time through the midfield.
If Phillips gets suspended it may be a good chance to see what Bryan looks like with the ruck all to himself presuming Draper won't be available yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't quite agree. I really rate the crows. Forward line is scary and I always thought they were a chance up until the last 10 or so minutes. I think we played exceptionally well today. Certainly not a gulf in class.

Nah, I reckon the crows deserve finals too

One of the better kicking teams in the league and you defend hard. We had a good game on a deck we play well. Probably our best game for the year tbh.
And I was still nervous with 90s to go and a 3 goal lead

Always enjoy watching the crows play
You are being kind...but we cant win away so finals in my opinion are not deserved

Intentional
Low Impact
High Contact
Essendon Player
Has Red Hair

We'll be lucky if he plays again this season
Haha,

I don't watch enough off field stuff or enough footy in general to know how they grade the difference between intentional and careless, but wouldn't intentional mean he intended to hit him in the head? Or is it intentional that he bumped?

Starting to think Parish is worth letting go depending what we’d get back. He and Caldwell’s skills are so far below the level - but at least Caldwell defends okay in close.
Even in a game where Parish will likely get Brownlow votes we're still finding a way to pot him. 🤣

Pivotal game against decent opposition. Essington of the last decade shits the bed and loses that.
Effort, pressure and execution in first half as good as I’ve seen from us for a long time. This along with system is what Brad has brought to the club.
Hobbs is Selwood MkII.
Ridley knee could be a long termer. Was astounded they wheeled him back out. Mechanism looked nasty. Balders
to replace him next week.
Weed simply isn’t doing enough. Cox or Voss have to come in for him for the sake of selection integrity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back