AFL Toast RND 13: Win Against The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all just wanted to say that was a delicious win against a rival. It’s been an amazing turnaround for Essendon considering the last season/s.
I wish I was at the game last night they’ve been very exciting to watch this year.
Such a huge improvement from many players syncing up: Merrett (who can play fwd) Hobbs Martin Menzie Caldwell Snelling Perkins Langford. Hobbs has been awesome and thoroughly enjoy watching him play. Redman - speechless - just please re sign him.
Our back 6 is formidable and I can’t wait to see what we look like as a full side with Parish and Shiel to return. Stringer mass Durham all good. My hope is for Walla to come back in peak form but I’m so impressed with their effort and they all should be very proud as I am to watch.
Brad Scott was the tonic they needed to fully utilise the potential the Essendon list has and they just needed the belief/confidence/skill building and game plan from a real coach?
Wright has been missed and is supreme to watch. Draper is sore and tired and weed needs to build some confidence.
To think this outfit almost beat port and has taken it up to some top 4 sides so far inc a win against melb for me means that they’ve turned that corner. Sure, always room for improvement but I like what I see. Lot more tackles more consistency more effort. More grunt. Can’t wait to see the young ones come through too.

Welcome back Essendon - you’ve been in the wilderness for too long and Brad brought you home with open arms. Fly up boys.
🔴⚫

img_8319-jpg.1710880

to be fair, I wasn't aware he had a back injury. Would hamper his running ability to keep up aerobic capacity.

still, * Carlton
Have watched the game back now I am back in Melbourne and the general comments about him having 35 touches and limited impact is very harsh. There must have been 12 plus times where he worked to get the footy and then found a team mate only for them to stuff it up due to poor skill level. He won stuff all clearance and had no tackles which was not great but you can not help it if your team mates are just not AFL level disposal wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is uncalled for.. yes it is fun to have rivalry, passion but I personally don't think players should be subjected to that.. even if they do play for *Carlton.
The irony is that it’s people like him that are the root cause of Carlton’s current woes. What does he think the players are thinking when they are 35m out on a slight angle? They are thinking of him and the hoardes of lunatics that will be spitting hatred at them over the race and on talkback if they miss. The players aren’t trying to win, they are trying not to lose.

How do you see this team improving in the next few months?

I'd like to see Reid come in and replace Heppell. That means that BZT and Laverde slide down the list to the size of the opponent. Ridley plays on whoever we want to ensure that Reid gets support.

Parish, Setterfield and Shiel come in and Menzie, Guelfi and Snelling go out. That means Caldwell, Perkins and Hobbs play forward and contribute to the midfield rotation. We also saw tonight that Merrett can play forward as well.

I'd play Heppell as the sub most weeks as he's capable of playing in any third of the ground. I'm not sure if we can keep Weiderman and Phillips both on the same side.

I'm not 100% confident in playing Reid, I'm happy for it to be Cox playing in the backline to work in tandem with Ridley as an interceptor.
Snelling isn’t a star but he’s very workmanlike and the type of guy that is pretty important as a ‘bottom 10’ player. Also puts up elite tackle and inside 50 pressure numbers.

Guelf is best 22 for certain. Very dynamic player. Also clutch. Some things you just need in a side.

I feel our biggest issue is needing an elite lockdown defender.

Getting guys like Baldwin, Tsatas, Davey, Cox, Brian, Reid to a level where they’re performing really well in VFL and providing selection pressure will be how we get better.

Imo Parish is the only guy who should be a walk up start that’s out of the side right now, and even then Hobbs has just about proven his place in the best 22 in his absence.

Snelling isn’t a star but he’s very workmanlike and the type of guy that is pretty important as a ‘bottom 10’ player. Also puts up elite tackle and inside 50 pressure numbers.

Guelf is best 22 for certain. Very dynamic player. Also clutch. Some things you just need in a side.

Getting guys like Baldwin, Tsatas, Davey, Cox, Brian, Reid to a level where they’re performing really well in VFL and providing selection pressure will be how we get better.

Imo Parish is the only guy who should be a walk up start that’s out of the side right now, and even then Hobbs has just about proven his place in the best 22 in his absence.
Shiel?

Hobbs is def best 22, trust me. Future captain. Agree re lock down defender, hence why we have Reid, Hayes, Montgomerie, Baldwin and maybe Cox in the VFL working for that spot. If we had a May and Lever equivalent replacing Zerk and Laverde it would make a big difference. And I mean that not disrespecting of those 2 who have worked their buts off for the club but are under-sized.

Snelling probably had his best game of 2023 last night. Still can improve but you can see the effort. If nothing else, he had 6 tackles. Even Langford, who was quietish by his standards this year with only 1 goal, had game high 9 tackles. All about finding ways to contribute. Would be great for Reid and Tsatas to play before season end.

"Good evening, welcome to AFL customer care, how may I be of assistance?"
"Ah yeah hi, Vossy here. My team doesn't seem to be working"
"Hmm, have you tried turning it on?"
"I... ah... hang on, we'll try that"

View attachment 1711114
This was hilarious last night. I think it came after we kicked first 4 of the 3rd quarter (and kicked a further 2 in the next 2 minutes). If you want to slow the game down and hold possession that is fine, but come up with a better sign than this. Holding up a power off sign when the opposition have got right on top just looks terrible to your supporters if nothing else.

And turning the power off and on usually works. Unlike what Carlolton can do.

This needs to be archived for prosperity, the IG account has been taken down
Ironic that this supporter is the biggest disgrace of them all. Ironic that he has no place ever taking enjoyment in another Carlton victory. You can lose a game and come back another day, but this guy has only one option left that has any integrity and that is to walk away from football.
But no doubt he will be back soon enough cheering them on like he isn’t complete scum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back