Rohan dangerous tackle

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rohan's tackle today on Jiath should have been a 50m penalty and nothing more. BUT, given the BS the other week with Pedlar getting 1 week for a dangerous tackle, Rohan should get 1 week.

Will be interesting to see if the AFL applies it's "high profile players get less" routine as there was no difference in the tackles

Jiath had a hand free and was fine afterwards as he didn't hit his head. A fine for Rohan but nothing more
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it should be a 1 week ban, 50m penalty is fine.

But Pedlar is an unknown and his tackle and the Rohan one are almost identical. So should be careless, medium impact, high contact. If its not, then once again the AFL MRO has been shown to be as useless and inconsistent as a small west African nation, and that's being pretty unfair on the African nation

Rohan's tackle today on Jiath should have been a 50m penalty and nothing more. BUT, given the BS the other week with Pedlar getting 1 week for a dangerous tackle, Rohan should get 1 week.

Will be interesting to see if the AFL applies it's "high profile players get less" routine as there was no difference in the tackles
I’m probably just another bias Geelong fan here, but I’ll play devil’s advocate and argue it shouldn’t have been a 50m penalty.

Umpire pays the obvious free kick against Close and then lets play roll on for another few seconds, waiting to see if Jiath controls it and he can pay advantage. At this point, it’s still a live game for all players and should be treated as such. It’s not until Jiath takes possession and messes up the handball that the umpire then blows the whistle again to call it back I assume. This is about a split second before Rohan tackles Jiath and slings him. And then the umpire calls 50.

Now, I have no issue if Rohan gets a suspension, it’s a dangerous action, but that whole passage of play was an absolute disaster from that umpire. And in no way should a 2nd free kick incur a 50m penalty when the ump has called play back a nanosecond before the infringement after letting play roll for a fairly reasonable amount of time.

I’m probably just another bias Geelong fan here, but I’ll play devil’s advocate and argue it shouldn’t have been a 50m penalty.

Umpire pays the obvious free kick against Close and then lets play roll on for another few seconds, waiting to see if Jiath controls it and he can pay advantage. At this point, it’s still a live game for all players and should be treated as such. It’s not until Jiath takes possession and messes up the handball that the umpire then blows the whistle again to call it back I assume. This is about a split second before Rohan tackles Jiath and slings him. And then the umpire calls 50.

Now, I have no issue if Rohan gets a suspension, it’s a dangerous action, but that whole passage of play was an absolute disaster from that umpire. And in no way should a 2nd free kick incur a 50m penalty when the ump has called play back a nanosecond before the infringement after letting play roll for a fairly reasonable amount of time.
These dangerous tackles I'm torn on whether they should be a ban, but I think I just need to get with it, i's the potential to cause harm mentality. Among tackles, high bumps, sliding into a contest below the knees, they all have the potential.

Umpiring hasn't been good for the start of the season, but I am liking the 4th umpire application so far as they have corrected incorrect calls.

The umpire called it back a good 10 metres before the tackle. I doubt all the players heard it but that would be why it was 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think he even hit his head from memory. If he did then its weeks history would suggest, if he didnt then nothing.

The umpire called it back a good 10 metres before the tackle. I doubt all the players heard it but that would be why it was 50.
Watch it again. He doesn’t blow the whistle until the stuffed up handpass. It’s about 1-2 metres before the tackle and at that pace, much less than a second.

If that is 10 metres, I’ll go jump.

Am i missing something? he is just holding on to CJ, rohans feet dont touch the ground. He just holds on to the tackle. The swinging motion is only cos of the relative angles and motion of the initial tackle. I get it when someone actually controls the swinging motion, but that doesnt really look like he is in control of the swinging motion.

Day wasn't worthy of a suspension surely? Momentum, wet conditions, other factors contributing possibly. Only seen it once, but it didn't look that bad.

Both were worth a free kick, and maybe a fine. But to suspend either would be bad. Neither made an obvious lifting motion which is where the real danger lies.

It was pretty disgusting to do this after play had completely stopped. Dangerous precedent to let players sling tackle players while play has stopped if he gets off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back