Rolling Flag Contenders 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What was the stat again? 191 games played where there's been such convincing wins around the ground in terms of clearances, inside 50s, tackles inside 50 etc... 187-4 the record?

Blues are lucky they were within 15 goals clearly

What was the stat again? 191 games played where there's been such convincing wins around the ground in terms of clearances, inside 50s, tackles inside 50 etc... 187-4 the record?

So Carlton played to their absolute peak, putting up historic numbers and still lost?

I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

So Carlton played to their absolute peak, putting up historic numbers and still lost?

This is exactly the narrative I don’t get.

Ok yes it’s not exactly panic stations for Carlton. By no means is it ‘back to the drawing board’ or anything like that. Clearly not.

But before the game, the question was ‘Geelong hasn’t beaten anyone, they are taking on the current popular pick for the comp, at the MCG, hot midfield, with their band of misfit midfielders, can their style of just trying to do enough to hang tough in the middle and create enough chances to kick a score, and hold out the Carlton forwards earn them a win?’

It did that. Suddenly at the end of it all, the narrative is flipped on its head as though Carlton unexpectedly won all the midfield battles: ‘oooh look at these numbers here, I didn’t expect that - Geelong who’ve not had a single player get 30 touches all year and always get beaten in the on-ball stats….. got beaten in the on ball stats and lost the inside 50s to a team with a powerful midfield. Great signs for Carlton, worrying signs for the Cats.’

I can understand the pure statistical argument. It looks a strong argument.

The eye test didn't match.

I saw a ruck flogging the likes of which I've never seen before, which I doubt will happen again. Apart from that I mostly saw Carlton overload at the stoppage and get cut apart time and again.

I'm not sure how it ends up in June, or possibly in September as well but form, personnel, and gameplans change. I wouldn't expect this game to be replicated. They'll be different contests.

More so that we played pretty shite and still put up historic numbers against ur weaker on ballers.

If Owies and Durdin decided to actually do anything that game we probably would have won fairly comfortably... Even missing half our back line.

I can't imagine a contested ball battering like that will end too well against GWS or Sydney who are the much more dangerous than us on the outside ATM. Once we get some players back we'll be able to punish and capitalize a bit better than on Saturday.

It's no coincidence we started leaking scores the moment our two main playmakers pinged their hammies.

Docherty - McGovern - Saad

Pretty decent HB line. When you plug in inexperienced players who won't be playing out of their skin every week, there's gonna be lapses and something teams can exploit (which they have the last few weeks). "Scores from turnover" doesn't seem to be much of an issue when you don't actually turn it over from D50, funny that!

It's no coincidence we started leaking scores the moment our two main playmakers pinged their hammies.

Docherty - McGovern - Saad

Pretty decent HB line. When you plug in inexperienced players who won't be playing out of their skin every week, there's gonna be lapses and something teams can exploit (which they have the last few weeks). "Scores from turnover" doesn't seem to be much of an issue when you don't actually turn it over from D50, funny that!
Now now... Lachie Cowan who's played a total of 9 games over his career should be a like for like replacement from All Australian Adam Saad!

Simples

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More so that we played pretty shite and still put up historic numbers against ur weaker on ballers.

If Owies and Durdin decided to actually do anything that game we probably would have won fairly comfortably... Even missing half our back line.

I can't imagine a contested ball battering like that will end too well against GWS or Sydney who are the much more dangerous than us on the outside ATM. Once we get some players back we'll be able to punish and capitalize a bit better than on Saturday.

You just posted the numbers. Carlton were outstanding.

Geelong were pretty average, we got smashed around the ball, Hawk kicked none and our best player didn’t play. We’ll take the 4 points though.

You just posted the numbers. Carlton were outstanding.

Geelong were pretty average, we got smashed around the ball, Hawk kicked none and our best player didn’t play. We’ll take the 4 points though.
Our midfield was good, just about every other part of our game was well off our best. Defense all over the shop and forwards missing shots they'd kick blindfolded most weeks.

Cats midfield is terrible on paper and was as terrible as expected on the night. I can't see it stacking up against the best teams when all systems are firing for teams towards the end of the year.

Luckily for the Cats, on Saturday their half forwards were able to make up for that on the back of woeful defensive lapses that have popped up since McGovern and Saad have gone out for the Blues.

Need some consistency and cohesion to fix that up instead of the congo line of forced changes we've had to endure most weeks this season.

Our midfield was good, just about every other part of our game was well off our best. Defense all over the shop and forwards missing shots they'd kick blindfolded most weeks.

Cats midfield is terrible on paper and was as terrible as expected on the night. I can't see it stacking up against the best teams when all systems are firing for teams towards the end of the year.

Luckily for the Cats, on Saturday their half forwards were able to make up for that on the back of woeful defensive lapses that have popped up since McGovern and Saad have gone out for the Blues.

Need some consistency and cohesion to fix that up instead of the congo line of forced changes we've had to endure most weeks this season.
As per the article posted, the midfield dominance wasn't a 4 quarter thing. Parfitt and Bruhn were close to invisible for the first quarter but got involved a lot more after. Carlton won the clearances 13-5 for the first quarter. Then Geelong were +2 on clearances for the rest of the match.

It was really only Stanley thrashed after quarter time. Pittonet had a million clearances himself.

Dangerfield had 16 disposals, 11 contested possessions, a goal, 2 goal assists and 5 score involvements from 47% game time - injured early in the 3rd. A full game and he'd have been in the coaches votes, and we wouldn't have allowed the late consolation goals while gassed.

C.Guthrie we played at half back given it was his first game back and Stewart was missing, but he's still a recent B&F midfielder that will slot in there with time. Dangerfield, Guthrie, Bruhn, Bowes and Parfitt or Atkins is enough to be competitive when the wings are so strong (Holmes, Duncan, Cameron and Dempsey alternating as extra midfielders). It's ruck, more than the actual midfielders, where we can still be exposed.

All that has happened this season is Carlton have remained a flag contender while Geelong have surprised from being in more people's bottom 4 than top 4, to politely asking to sit at the big table. It doesn't make us flag favourites, but it beats looking at what pick 5 will get you as far out as May. And that's probably where people thought we'd be right now.

We lost this time around, next time we play I'm pretty confident the blues will get it done without many issues. Cats midfield is fairly weak at the moment which imo will be exposed by the Sydney teams and others.
Mate you can’t even beat the crows at home.
Cats should have won by 10 goals and would have if not for the heavy legs at the end due to the monsoon the previous week.
Your record is horrific against playing teams in the top 4.

There was still 3 minutes at the end to kick 2 goals and instead you let Cameron kick on to seal it.
But go on, tell us all how good the baggers are 😂

Last edited:
Cats should have won by 10 goals and would have if not for the heavy legs at the end due to the monsoon the previous week.

There was still 3 minutes at the end to kick 2 goals and instead you let Cameron kick on to seal it.
Did you mean this?

W-L in top 4 clashes since 2000
38-21-1 GEEL
21-17 COLL
19-15 PORT
18-13-1 BRIS
18-13 HAW
15-13 MELB
14-9 ESS
13-16 WCE
12-8 STK
10-11 ADEL
10-13 WBD
10-25 SYD
7-11 RICH
7-11 FREM
3-7-1 NTH
3-13 CARL
2-3-1 GWS
0-1 GCS

Is it? We beat 3 of the top 4 teams in the 2nd half of last year, including Melbourne x2 (once in finals). Hard to tell this early in the year as we're still not sure who's going to be top 4.

Carlton played well but missed some sitters and a few players had stinkers, Geelong played better - pretty simple imo. Both should be shooting for top 4 this year.

Going back to 2000 to talk about form vs top 4 teams...

Dear god the Catters have gone full Richmond nuff mode.
I grew up in Geelong and the fans are a bit like mod-passionate. There could be an absolute blockbuster game on the weekend and it's kinda like:

"Hey mate you going to the game tonight?"
"Nah its in melb I'll just watch on the TV"

Then they just post about the game on Facebook all night. It's a weird setup.

There's also absolutely zero interest in other clubs - they wouldn't know any opposition players unless they played for the Falcons. It's just local footy and the Cats, which is kinda wholesome.

Ironic given you boys have reverted to their whinging, raging and deflecting peak.

I have never seen a supporter base cope so badly with a regulation H&A loss.
I've never seen a supporter base cope so badly with a regulation H&A win tbh.

Genuinely embarrassing stuff from Cats fans who have a reputation for being good sports and above all the nuffery that other supporter bases indulge in. Between you and Tilly it's as if someone from the Blues took a s**t in your cornflakes such has been the carry on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back