Room for improvement

Remove this Banner Ad

He is definitely in the mix , along with Carmichael. Noble , Draper , Allan , all good 2 way runners ,maybe even Bobby Hill , Sidey”s spot is up for grabs , sooner than we think.
You’ve been proclaiming the demise of Sidebottom for quite some time now.

Without having seen us kick a ball in anger I’d like to focus on individuals.

- Mitchell. Increased stoppage impact leads to better field position leading to more scoring opportunities leading to a better defense with the opposition having to move the ball further to score. This man is top 5 in the league in that area.

- McStay to ease the pressure on Mihocek as a marking target. A fully fit Mihocek in the last month of 2022 would have been massive.

- IQ to hopefully have his breakout season.

- JDG to put together an AA season.

Players to watch for stagnation:

- Ginnivan. His form tapered in the back half of the season where he was boom or bust on the scoreboard. At this stage he doesn’t offer too much else so if clubs take his more productive games away from him it could get tough.

- Naicos had an all time rookie season and I fear there’ll be a push to move him up the field ahead of his time. I stand by the assessment that he’s an elite HB, but may not have the same impact through the middle because he doesn’t win enough of his own ball yet.

- Cameron is another who I thought fell away a little late season. Gut feel is he started to feel safe. He’s always been on the edge of selection and needed to perform to hold his spot. With Grundy gone he’s the man and although I think he can handle it he’s a “watch this space” guy in 23.

You’ve been proclaiming the demise of Sidebottom for quite some time now.
No JMac. Not years. Before the 2022 season I thought he was gone , thought he lost the passion and hunger during 2021 season. Happy he proved me wrong

No JMac. Not years. Before the 2022 season I thought he was gone , thought he lost the passion and hunger during 2021 season. Happy he proved me wrong
And he will again.
He’s an evergreen

- Mitchell. Increased stoppage impact leads to better field position leading to more scoring opportunities leading to a better defense with the opposition having to move the ball further to score. This man is top 5 in the league in that area.

- McStay to ease the pressure on Mihocek as a marking target. A fully fit Mihocek in the last month of 2022 would have been massive.

- Ginnivan. His form tapered in the back half of the season where he was boom or bust on the scoreboard. At this stage he doesn’t offer too much else so if clubs take his more productive games away from him it could get tough.

- Naicos had an all time rookie season and I fear there’ll be a push to move him up the field ahead of his time. I stand by the assessment that he’s an elite HB, but may not have the same impact through the middle because he doesn’t win enough of his own ball yet.

- Cameron is another who I thought fell away a little late season. Gut feel is he started to feel safe. He’s always been on the edge of selection and needed to perform to hold his spot. With Grundy gone he’s the man and although I think he can handle it he’s a “watch this space” guy in 23.

I thought Ginni managed to battle through all the bullshit and still contribute fairly well at the end of the season with some ~3 goal contributions.

One thing I did think he lost was his deadeye accuracy. He went from having it to being just another frustrating average AFL kick, and that’s a key to him kicking 40+ again this year I think. To my eye he is looking a bit more physically robust.

I thought Ginni managed to battle through all the bullshit and still contribute fairly well at the end of the season with some ~3 goal contributions.

One thing I did think he lost was his deadeye accuracy. He went from having it to being just another frustrating average AFL kick, and that’s a key to him kicking 40+ again this year I think. To my eye he is looking a bit more physically robust.
That was what sustained him. There were a few stretches where he was quiet then he bobbed up with those 3 goal matches. My concern with him is that if clubs can take those matches away he doesn’t offer much else at this stage.

I did some analysis around the draft because a poster was shitting on him and it came as no surprise that he’s as good as they get in terms of goalkickers at his age (only Wingard and Darling have kicked 40 goals as teenagers since 2010). The catch is that he’s an old school full forward right now (low possession, limited defensive pressure, good conversion and is me me me) which is rare in the modern game so unless he evolves like Stevie J* did he could be on that stagnates in 2023.

*that’s who I’d like him to model his game on.

Ginnivan is a small/mid size forward. He is not a key position forward. As such he operates in starvation corner all the time. Such players always have weeks when they hardly touch it. They are selected until those weeks become too frequent. Playing that position, he can't be the matchwinner every week. The weeks when such players decide a game are bonuses. (That should be boni)
Expectations should be at a moderate level. Other teams will target him differrently from now on. The crude bashing tactics will change, since they don't work. I expect that he will have a lock down style opponent most of the time. This is good for the team, because it disrupts opposition team defences. He may get fewer goals, but contribute to more.
His kicking has not fallen away. It was clear that senior players were at him to temper his lairising around the corner shots when dead in front and he listened. Even the best kicks miss about 30%.

We were so close to making the big dance last year. To continue to improve and evolve as a team, a group of players need to improve or take the next step.
Here's my thoughts on who has scope to give another 5% or more...
Ginnivan- if he has a great preseason, and the new forward set up works he'll shine.
McCreery- get the miles into his piston legs. He'll run them down and kick goals.
Naicos- we all know his potential. Unbelievable.
Jaicos- proud bugger. Is forging his own path, and he'll get better as he works his backside off.
Q - Bigger. Gunna hunt opposition and break tackles. Interception marking should improve.
Lapinski- 2nd year in and he'll get better.
Please feel free to make your own list...
Carn the Pies
Lipinski-especially since his shoulder surgery fixed his semi-reduced output later in the year he'll take the next step
Nobes - he has everything to prove in his last contract year he'll be good
Quaynor- Q bulked up to take on bigger forwards which is good to see
Nick Daicos - Brownlow frontrunner

I was relatively pleased with Checkers finals output at the start but once the freo game and Sydney came came around I knew he was sore and needed help McStay is a good acquisition for what he does for us

Aside from the recruits who all have the potential to improve our team...:
  • I reckon Beau is potential source of improvement. We all know he's one of our best players when he doesn't have the ball. But we saw flashes this year of his potential game breaking ability when he's got ball in hand.
  • Definitely agree with the people identifying IQ as on the verge of breaking out big time.
  • Having Kreuger available for selection 18+ weeks would make a huge difference to our depth. But if Kreugs is injured and it clicks for Johnson then we'll still have better scoring avenues this year.
  • As far as unknown quantities go, Dean is very necessary addition to squad depth this year.
  • There is potential for one (or more of) Macrae, McInnes or particuarly Carmichael to significantly improve their ability to impact when called upon.
  • Doubt Draper and Harrison will have the potential to impact matches this season like the above three could. But can see them adding to competition for spots this year.

The players I see at risk of having reduced impact in 2023 are:
  • Howe - Natural decline
  • Adams - Durability and questions marks to adapt to potential required change in role with the emergence of De Goey, Mitchell and Crisp as inside mids,
  • Pendles - Kills me to include him in this list after his incredible finals series, but his natural decline has to start at some stage
  • Moore - Question marks over whether he can play another full season.
  • Sidey - Natural decline
  • WHE - Natural decline
  • Not a player but game plan - Opposition will spend the summer learning how to counter Geelong's and our tricks.

When you add in the recruits to the discussion, I feel like we've got a lot more scope for improvement than risk of declines.
I wish I could have included Kelly, Bianco and Ruscoe as potential sources for improvement. But I'm not sure they have new things to show us that they haven't already.

Aside from the recruits who all have the potential to improve our team...:
  • I reckon Beau is potential source of improvement. We all know he's one of our best players when he doesn't have the ball. But we saw flashes this year of his potential game breaking ability when he's got ball in hand.
  • Definitely agree with the people identifying IQ as on the verge of breaking out big time.
  • Having Kreuger available for selection 18+ weeks would make a huge difference to our depth. But if Kreugs is injured and it clicks for Johnson then we'll still have better scoring avenues this year.
  • As far as unknown quantities go, Dean is very necessary addition to squad depth this year.
  • There is potential for one (or more of) Macrae, McInnes or particuarly Carmichael to significantly improve their ability to impact when called upon.
  • Doubt Draper and Harrison will have the potential to impact matches this season like the above three could. But can see them adding to competition for spots this year.

The players I see at risk of having reduced impact in 2023 are:
  • Howe - Natural decline
  • Adams - Durability and questions marks to adapt to potential required change in role with the emergence of De Goey, Mitchell and Crisp as inside mids,
  • Pendles - Kills me to include him in this list after his incredible finals series, but his natural decline has to start at some stage
  • Moore - Question marks over whether he can play another full season.
  • Sidey - Natural decline
  • WHE - Natural decline
  • Not a player but game plan - Opposition will spend the summer learning how to counter Geelong's and our tricks.

When you add in the recruits to the discussion, I feel like we've got a lot more scope for improvement than risk of declines.
I wish I could have included Kelly, Bianco and Ruscoe as potential sources for improvement. But I'm not sure they have new things to show us that they haven't already.
Total agreement with game plan but if you look closely at the recruits and imports you get a sense that Fly is well on the front foot with this aspect.

Chaos ball movement can be implemented by lower skilled teams but the skill level is back on the rise again.

Certainly sufficient scope to alter the game plan to an extent especially later in the season.

De Goey. Love him but he can be more. 2023 he plays a whole season fit and becomes near best in comp
You're talking about a player who has no known ceiling, he could be better than Dusty imo, has all the attributes.

'Near best in comp' is not his ceiling, he has potential to be the actual GOAT, forget about Mathews, Carey, Paicos, Abletts et al.

As much as I hate to say it, he has more potential than Naicos imo, and that's about as high bar as you can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're talking about a player who has no known ceiling, he could be better than Dusty imo, has all the attributes.

'Near best in comp' is not his ceiling, he has potential to be the actual GOAT, forget about Mathews, Carey, Paicos, Abletts et al.

As much as I hate to say it, he has more potential than Naicos imo, and that's about as high bar as you can get.
Thats very optimistic in theory and way beyond possibility in reality. I am as big a fan of Jordy as anyone but he cant reach those heights. He is entering his 9th season so his career is likely well into its 2nd half. He is so far off GOAT discussions that can never become part of his discussion. I don't think he has what it takes even to be the best in the comp currently as his head wont quite get him there but he can be near it and that would be a fantastic outcome.

Thats very optimistic in theory and way beyond possibility in reality. I am as big a fan of Jordy as anyone but he cant reach those heights. He is entering his 9th season so his career is likely well into its 2nd half. He is so far off GOAT discussions that can never become part of his discussion. I don't think he has what it takes even to be the best in the comp currently as his head wont quite get him there but he can be near it and that would be a fantastic outcome.
Hands aren't clean enough for the level that carringbush thinks he can get to.

Nick is potential GOAT. Jordy can never be that now. All those wasted years with an occasional big game.
Nick is more composed when he kicks for goal.
Nick is Captain material. I think his first year he had better stats than Judd and Ablett. The way he glides around the ground is a thing of beauty. He's got his head wired correctly to be the best. Josh is great as well.
Peter and his wife have brought these two up just perfectly 🥰

Pass the dutchie mate.

There will be many individual improvements across the board, but my bet is the individual and team improvements all come as a result of structural changes based on:
(i) mitchell winning clearances;
(ii) mcstay giving us a second tall target
(iii) another tall defender freeing up howe and darcy to intercept and attack more

but on an individual level, IQ and JDG look ready to go up a level

Nick is potential GOAT. Jordy can never be that now. All those wasted years with an occasional big game.
Nick is more composed when he kicks for goal.
Nick is Captain material. I think his first year he had better stats than Judd and Ablett. The way he glides around the ground is a thing of beauty. He's got his head wired correctly to be the best. Josh is great as well.
Peter and his wife have brought these two up just perfectly 🥰
I agree with this, I said to my brother earlier in the year that I reckon he'll be better than GAJ. That may be a big call but I'll back myself on this. The only way I can see him failing is through injury. I'm excited to see what he can become once he moves to the midfield full time.

I agree with this, I said to my brother earlier in the year that I reckon he'll be better than GAJ. That may be a big call but I'll back myself on this. The only way I can see him failing is through injury. I'm excited to see what he can become once he moves to the midfield full time.
Yes mate. Barring injury Nick is a special talent. He gets in the right spot with his evasiveness, receives the ball and makes the right decision. With stints up forward once in the midfield.

Matt Rendell said he is the best young talent he has seen since GAJ.

Yes mate. Barring injury Nick is a special talent. He gets in the right spot with his evasiveness, receives the ball and makes the right decision. With stints up forward once in the midfield.

Matt Rendell said he is the best young talent he has seen since GAJ.
It's actually insane how impressive he is, especially as a first year player, I've never seen anything like it before.

I watched the replay of the most recent Adelaide game yesterday, apart from a few blemishes he was astonishing in the wet, clean disposal, rose to the occasion with 2 goals and 12 disposals in the last quarter once put in the middle. He'll have to learn how to handle a tag, but that also comes down to his teammates and coaching staff helping him out.

I don't like overhyping players but in this situation it's hard not too. The work ethic aspect of him is the thing that caps it off for me. I don't think he'll leave anything to just talent, he'll keep working hard to improve throughout his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back