Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

2907b137165472b8029e4999fe67096d_resized.jpg

Small player, but really smart. Played a handful of Reserves games at the end of the year and polled high votes in all of them.

High possession winner in defence.

Well done, Rory.

Played for Scotch College in 2010 and was named among the best several times. Also kicked a few goals.
All Australian 2008...I assume U/14 ????
Equal 4th West Adelaide Reserves B & F 2011....limited games.
Amazing what elso you find on the internet.The info below was from the Scotch College web pages.

Rory Laird Yr 12

Sport: Football

How long have you been playing?

I have been playing footy since Under 11's when I was 10 years old. I started playing for the Kenilworth Football Club and for Colonel Light Gardens primary school. I'm a convert from Soccer.

Playing footy at Scotch?

I have been playing football for the College since Year 8 and played my first game for the First XVIII in Year 9. I was awarded College Best and Fairest for the 2010 season.

Representation?

From 12 years of age I have been representing West Adelaide Football Club in the junior grades progressing through to the Under 18 Centre of Excellence Squad which I played last year and am currently playing this year. In 2008 I represented South Australia in the National Championship and was selected as an All Australian after the championship.

Greatest achievement to date?

This season I did a full pre-season with the West Adelaide senior squad commencing in November last year which was very challenging but enjoyable. After last season I was selected in the South Australian Under 18 Academy Squad and attended a skills and fitness testing camp in December. From this squad I was recently selected in the initial South Australian Under 18 squad for the National Championships which run over 5 weeks from June to July this year. This month the squad will train 2 times per week and trial games each weekend to fine tune before the actual championships begin.

Playing above your age grade is a huge tribute but may increase the risk of injury?

The worst injury I have had was a broken pinky finger 2 years ago which sidelined me for 3-4 weeks.

Best thing about playing footy?

I love the sport because you are able to play with mates and there is great satisfaction when winning.

What kind of training do you do?

Each week I train 2-3 times and play a game on the weekend.

Who is your AFL hero?

My football hero is Daniel Cross from the Western Bulldogs because of the way he plays the game and makes the most of his talent

Into the future......?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we draft Central Districts coach??? Surely he's too old???

Mature age rookie:D

Poor old Brad Crouch though. Brad is only two weeks younger than Rory, is 7kg heavier and 8cm taller, and one (Rory) is eligible to play AFL in R1 next year, the other (Brad) can't play AFL for another 14 months.

Mature age rookie:D

Poor old Brad Crouch though. Brad is only two weeks younger than Rory, is 7kg heavier and 8cm taller, and one (Rory) is eligible to play AFL in R1 next year, the other (Brad) can't play AFL for another 14 months.

One can play AFL next year, the other we never would have got near if he could play AFL next year. I'm pretty happy with how it panned out, personally.

Rory Laird
From West Adelaide
DOB: 29/12/1993
Height: 175cm
Weight: 74kg
Number: 46

Laird_NEWS.jpg

Noble says: "Defender who fared well on some quality players at the under-18 championships. Boasts exceptional vision, reads the game well and is very competitive."

Mods please put in The Locker Room

I was one of Rorys school mates. He's a good lad. As a footballer i always admired how he stepped up to new challenges. He was thrown into the first 18 at Scotch as a 14 year old and stepped up. Against Pembroke in 2010 rory (HBF) played on George Horlin Smith (HFF) who was later that year drafted to Geelong. Giving up approx 10 cm of height he performed extremely well and smashed Horlin Smith that day. He overcame tonsilitus at the national championships and made the best players 3 times out of 4. He finally cracked the reserves at Westies and after a couple quiet games early he stepped up and finished with a couple of best player mentions. Had the season gone on another few weeks, he may well have played league. I'm not certain about this, but being born on the 30th of december 92 he would have to be the youngest player on any list next season.

Anyway i could see rory playing a game or two next season. Mainly as a shutdown player in the backline or midfield. I think he could offer an aaron joseph/liam picken kind of first year if he puts in the work, a fierce competitor. thats not saying hes a hack though, he's polished and neat with the footy. He would certainly evolve from playing as a shutdown player. My one concern about him is he comes across very laid back, and thats including his footy. I wonder if he will be able to get the best out of himself at AFL level.

Anyways a good pick here.

I was one of Rorys school mates. He's a good lad. As a footballer i always admired how he stepped up to new challenges. He was thrown into the first 18 at Scotch as a 14 year old and stepped up. Against Pembroke in 2010 rory (HBF) played on George Horlin Smith (HFF) who was later that year drafted to Geelong. Giving up approx 10 cm of height he performed extremely well and smashed Horlin Smith that day. He overcame tonsilitus at the national championships and made the best players 3 times out of 4. He finally cracked the reserves at Westies and after a couple quiet games early he stepped up and finished with a couple of best player mentions. Had the season gone on another few weeks, he may well have played league. I'm not certain about this, but being born on the 30th of december 92 he would have to be the youngest player on any list next season.

Anyway i could see rory playing a game or two next season. Mainly as a shutdown player in the backline or midfield. I think he could offer an aaron joseph/liam picken kind of first year if he puts in the work, a fierce competitor. thats not saying hes a hack though, he's polished and neat with the footy. He would certainly evolve from playing as a shutdown player. My one concern about him is he comes across very laid back, and thats including his footy. I wonder if he will be able to get the best out of himself at AFL level.

Anyways a good pick here.

I think he was born on the 29th of December, 1993. You would think he would be the youngest player on a senior or rookie list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back