Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

He's in should be dropped category now.
And traded if we can.

Too late to trade him now, just put him in the backlines and hopefully he can be serviceable there.

I said it at the time, it's another Brent Reilly situation - we found a new role for him where he excelled, but it was never going to last - we should've traded him at his peak.

The value he had then far exceeded his value to us.

The stupidity of going through a rebuild and only trading fringe players for barely meaningful return - classic AFC complacency.

Can someone explain all the Laird hate and give some specific examples?
Once the AFL post the replay I'd like to have a look at what others are seeing.

Last edited:
He has zero hurt factor. No penetration on his kick so is incapable of high risk / high reward options and instead sticks with dinky safe options, yet has been somehow missing those lately too.

Not a marking target, doesn’t kick goals and is not overly quick. Historically he’s been a great tackler but missed a number of those last night.

Seems like a terrific bloke and has got the absolute max out of his career given his physical limitations, but we need more impactful players as our starting mids if we actually want to win anything.

Too late to trade him now, just put him in the backlines and hopefully he can be serviceable there.

I said it at the time, it's another Brent Reilly situation - we found a new role for him where he excelled, but it was never going to last - we should've traded him at his peak.

The stupidity of going through a rebuild and only trading fringe players for barely meaningful return - classic AFC complacency.
I think they got shy when Brouch didnt get what they wanted

I recall sometime ago reading an article about a coach I think in College football but could be wrong: he had a philosophy that no one was off the trade table it was only worth trading while you still had value, and this gave him a shot at the title ever 6-8 years

Would forward pocket work given he could play the defensive forward role? At the moment neither Murphy, Keays or Laird are demanding selection. Would prefer Jones at HB to Laird as he has speed, skills and is a good tackler.

Laird to FP, Keaya left out and Edwards in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would forward pocket work given he could play the defensive forward role? At the moment neither Murphy, Keays or Laird are demanding selection. Would prefer Jones at HB to Laird as he has speed, skills and is a good tackler.

Laird to FP, Keaya left out and Edwards in
I don’t mid him playing the Murphy role, but I worry is this making the side better, or are we just trying to keep him in the side

I don’t mid him playing the Murphy role, but I worry is this making the side better, or are we just trying to keep him in the side
Laird was really good in Q1, sticking tackles, disposing of it to players running clear, and then kicked that goal start of Q2. Looked brilliant.

Rest of the game...

16 CBAs, * all clearances. Hit one good kick last night, one. He did kick a massive fluke goal, but that didn't really make up for his other stuff ups that cost us goals. The most egregious stuff up was a centre bounce where we had open space in front of us, he receives a handball and instead of moving forward, immediately turns into the contest, for no reason, puts himself under pressure and then handballs to a stationary O'Brien.

He also pulled out of a contest last night that resulted in a Melbourne goal.

Wright, Petrenko, Murphy, Rowe, McHenry

It's a nothing role for rubbish tryers. The footy version of an oxygen thief

And sometimes they get made to look good against the West Coasts and North Melbounes of the world which means they keep getting selected and then are obviously invisible against strong opponents.

16 CBAs, * all clearances. Hit one good kick last night, one. He did kick a massive fluke goal, but that didn't really make up for his other stuff ups that cost us goals. The most egregious stuff up was a centre bounce where we had open space in front of us, he receives a handball and instead of moving forward, immediately turns into the contest, for no reason, puts himself under pressure and then handballs to a stationary O'Brien.

He also pulled out of a contest last night that resulted in a Melbourne goal.
That shirked contest was pathetic should be put on replay in the team meeting.

I think what I said at the start of the rebuild or whatever we're calling it this week, no matter what side of the argument, even if he is actually good enough, so what? Even more relevant now that he's 30+. No point opening the required 5 year of top 4-ish window to try and win a premiership if you get there and your most important midfielder is 32 years old (we are clearly not there yet)

Then we look at other premiership teams, most if not all of them have midfielders who were drafted as midfielders, well inside the top 10 picks.

These are guys who start the year, most years, in the discussion for Brownlows or towards the top of best players in the league lists.

I don't see us getting there with very good forwards, defenders, others, who are sold to us as "and he could run through the midfield for 5 minutes" or "one day he could become a midfielder", I'm still waiting for Graham Johncocks breakout season in the midfield, very good player but it was never going to happen, guess we finally got one with Laird. There is no bonus premiership points for taking someone in the rookie draft or the forward pocket and eventually, one day, turning them into a value pick midfielder.

Great midfielders I see as he's been dominating that position in juniors, drafted as that position, good enough to play year 1 or 2 in that position, maybe would also be excellent if you put them forward or back or whatever, but that's just because they are that good.

It looks like we might get a chance to dip back down the bottom of the ladder to get one, but let's see what Tasmanian key defender we get...

For those of you having a go at Rory Laird, Please have a look at the replay when sober.
Soligo was widely considered best on ground by many - I ask who gave him the ball all night?
The midfield & Laird ain't the problem.

Back pocket lockdown role.

Can only have one in an under extractor and I prefer crouch, he's more creative with his handpass and has a stronger body.

Laird doesn't need to be uber creative as a lockdown defender and still think he can give us some really value.

He's not a natural forward, I wouldn't waste time trying him there

His contract is looking really really bad right now

Yes, he had one year as a midfielder (2020 when we finished bottom), we had just lost Brad Crouch and we literally panicked.

Says it all.

Same as how we gave Milera a 5 year contract. By all means give them a five year contract but have conditions attached to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back