Recommitted Rory Lobb

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

To be perfectly honest I have no idea as I don't think itll happen.

Just like last year and just like Boyd Giants will expect allot for him. Cant see WC selling the farm to bring him in though.

It's unlikely that a deal for Lobb would get done but if GWS was open to it how close do you think Pick 3 and Freo's 2017 2nd rounder for Lobb and McCarthy would be?

I think Freo would heavily consider that kind of deal and this would blow anything that the Eagles would offer out of the water (unless they would Barras or someone like Jack Darling :) was included).

It's unlikely that a deal for Lobb would get done but if GWS was open to it how close do you think Pick 3 and Freo's 2017 2nd rounder for Lobb and McCarthy would be?

I think Freo would heavily consider that kind of deal and this would blow anything that the Eagles would offer out of the water (unless they would Barras or someone like Jack Darling :) was included).

My guess is they'd say no. That trade is basically pick 3 for Lobb and pick 19-37 for McCarthy.

If you offered pick 3 for Lobb they'd probably say no. If you offered your 2017 second round pick for McCarthy they probably say yes. They turned down a trade last year but after a year out McCarthy's value won't have gone up.

If Lobb demanded a trade I think that could be on the cards and considered reasonable. If Lobb doesn't demand a trade but goes for the "if you guys could get me home, great, if not I'll play out my contract" position I think GWS keeps him.

If Lobb demanded a trade I think that could be on the cards and considered reasonable. If Lobb doesn't demand a trade but goes for the "if you guys could get me home, great, if not I'll play out my contract" position I think GWS keeps him.

I doubt he'd demand a trade unless a WA team gave him close to a Tom Boyd offer and even then GWS might not trade him.

With Lycett possibly out for the year it's a chance that west coast might throw a large contract at Lobb but it would be down to what they would offer GWS.

Given Eagles are in premiership mode but now find themselves short a quality ruckman, I think they'll come out with a big offer for Lobb. What happens from there is anyone's guess. Most likely GWS stick firm.

Given Eagles are in premiership mode but now find themselves short a quality ruckman, I think they'll come out with a big offer for Lobb. What happens from there is anyone's guess. Most likely GWS stick firm.
If they expect the Lobbstar to carry a ruck % of the game then they are in big trouble.
Blind freddy would tell them thats a mistake.

How many preseasons will this make for him by 2017? He can't be a skinny kid forever.
Skinny is only a fraction of the problem.
He's just not built for the ruck and it will never be his role.
Some players are just not cut out for it.
Most trades go wrong when a club sees a player that they think can play another role.

Thing about Lobb is, what is he? His contested marking is eye catching and his field kicking is excellent for someone who is so tall, but does this mean teams should break the bank to try and prise him away from GWS? I think he worth more to them than anyone else.

West coast need a ruckman: Lobb current averages 6 taps a game and has never lead the ruck. Should they spend pick 12 and a player or another pick on him and just hope he can lead the ruck?

Freo wouldn't mind a key forward. Should they cough up pick 3, or potentially even more, for someone who has only completed one full season of AFL footy and that at one goal a game and hope he can kick 65 the next year? Further how many players in history have successfully held down the full forward position over a number of years at over 200 cm, let alone 206 (Salmon kicked over 50 3 times in his career, Tippett has done it what, once? Both much better ruckman on exposed form). No, he is forward ruck, a second or third tall, and he always will be. I don’t think it’s smart for clubs to be paying a premium for that.

Thing about Lobb is, what is he? His contested marking is eye catching and his field kicking is excellent for someone who is so tall, but does this mean teams should break the bank to try and prise him away from GWS? I think he worth more to them than anyone else.

West coast need a ruckman: Lobb current averages 6 taps a game and has never lead the ruck. Should they spend pick 12 and a player or another pick on him and just hope he can lead the ruck?

Freo wouldn't mind a key forward. Should they cough up pick 3, or potentially even more, for someone who has only completed one full season of AFL footy and that at one goal a game and hope he can kick 65 the next year? Further how many players in history have successfully held down the full forward position over a number of years at over 200 cm, let alone 206 (Salmon kicked over 50 3 times in his career, Tippett has done it what, once? Both much better ruckman on exposed form). No, he is forward ruck, a second or third tall, and he always will be. I don’t think it’s smart for clubs to be paying a premium for that.
Indeed. And I think this is why there are such disparate views about his trade value. GWS, justifiably, identify his potential and correctly point out that he's contracted so they're under no obligation to trade him. They've got key forwards in Cameron and Patton and they've got a No 1 ruckman in Mumford. It probably suits them just fine to have Lobb slotting in between those full-time roles and basically playing as a really tall utility who can go forward or pinch-hit in the ruck when required. They don't need him to be more than that at this stage.

But for the WA clubs trying to poach him, they want a proper ruckman or a proper key forward. And the reality is that Lobb is not a proven top-liner – or even a proven full-timer - in either capacity. I think that makes it very hard to justify giving up what GWS would likely want in return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Believe what you want. The truth will set you free General.

Today's news about Lycett make Lobb an even more attractive option for WC. The club would be devoid of its recruiting duty to at least not throw a large biscuit at him to bite at. 750k a year plus for Rory and our pick 12 to GWS as an integral part of any deal
More in need of a numero uno ruckman rather than a fwd/ruck, no?

Indeed. And I think this is why there are such disparate views about his trade value. GWS, justifiably, identify his potential and correctly point out that he's contracted so they're under no obligation to trade him. They've got key forwards in Cameron and Patton and they've got a No 1 ruckman in Mumford. It probably suits them just fine to have Lobb slotting in between those full-time roles and basically playing as a really tall utility who can go forward or pinch-hit in the ruck when required. They don't need him to be more than that at this stage.

But for the WA clubs trying to poach him, they want a proper ruckman or a proper key forward. And the reality is that Lobb is not a proven top-liner – or even a proven full-timer - in either capacity. I think that makes it very hard to justify giving up what GWS would likely want in return.
Couldn't have said it better.
I do believe that Lobb has the potential to be one of the better Ruck/Fwd's in the game. He's almost there already. But that will likely be his best role; splitting time between both. I don't believe he will ever be a 50 goal a year key forward, or an elite first ruck. He can be a stud splitting time between the 2. GWS are right to value him highly. Perhaps not 2 first rd picks high, but high indeed.
I have NO problem with teams placing a huge price on the head of players that they don't wish to lose. A team should be able to value their own player however they like

What is he?

He is everything. He can go forward and take clunks and kick goals.

He can go back plug the hole and shut down opposition attacks.

He has the tank of an elite runner.

He can relief ruck and will improve this craft.

He has agility and leap and is a cleanskin that works and trains hard and loved by his teammates.

He is a group 1 gun and I sincerely hope we keep him.

What is he?

He has agility and leap and is a cleanskin that works and trains hard and loved by his teammates.

This is surely overstating it. He is not a proven top-liner.

What is he?

Agree..Would he consider Victoria?

Would you take pick 1?

What is he?

Disappointing he can't walk on water.

Second rounder at best then.

This is surely overstating it. He is not a proven top-liner.
You could say that about many of the GWS kids...He is a Proven top liner for a guy his size and age...Has massive upside...

Expecting his price to rise after his next 2 finals when all eyes are watching...

GWS are going to have to make cap space...He's the best way for them to reluctantly shorten their list...

Freo should send pick 3 to GWS for Lobb and McCarthy + pick 17.

Then they should get rid of as much dead wood as possible (Mayne, Clarke, Suban) to try and get themselves a pick in the 20s to use on a kid in the draft.

This would mean:

Key Defenders: Silvagni, Pearce, Collins, Johnson, Uebergang
Mids: Fyfe, Neale, Crozier, Weller, Mundy, Blakely, Langdon, S Hill, B Hill (17), Sheridan, Tucker
Fwds: Walters, Lobb, McCarthy, Taberner, Yarran, Bennell, Balic
Rucks: Apeness, Hannath

They actually dont look too bad.

Agree..Would he consider Victoria?

Would you take pick 1?

I doubt it as I think the only reason this is being talked about is because he is homesick which VIC wouldn't solve.

You know you guys nearly drafted him but ended up going for Zach Merrett instead.

Who would have thought at Pick 26 or whatever it was you would pass up a gun and yet still select an absolute gun!

Freo should send pick 3 to GWS for Lobb and McCarthy + pick 17.

Then they should get rid of as much dead wood as possible (Mayne, Clarke, Suban) to try and get themselves a pick in the 20s to use on a kid in the draft.

This would mean:

Key Defenders: Silvagni, Pearce, Collins, Johnson, Uebergang
Mids: Fyfe, Neale, Crozier, Weller, Mundy, Blakely, Langdon, S Hill, B Hill (17), Sheridan, Tucker
Fwds: Walters, Lobb, McCarthy, Taberner, Yarran, Bennell, Balic
Rucks: Apeness, Hannath

They actually dont look too bad.

We wouldn't do that, particularly giving them a pick back as well?? We need picks for the 2017 draft unless Jon Ralph and the Herald Sun mosquito crew successfully alter the Academy zone before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back