Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

He shouldn't be voicing his opinion publicly and putting any pressure on the club when it comes to the decision. I can see the headline now:

"Crows snub Sloane who wanted to remain captain"

I haven't listened to the interview so I don't have the context here, but if he was asked about it any answer other than "yes I would like to continue as captain" would have immediately become a headline anyway.

If the club do move to a new captain, his final job in the role will be to immediately endorse the new captain and the process to quell any of those kinds of stories.

I'd make Ned captain next year, bit of push and shove at coin tosses would be a welcome distraction

Maaaate. Never thought of that.
It all makes sense now.
If there is one guy in the league that was born to point at goal, it's Ned.
I'm not sure about the length of his coin toss though.

He shouldn't be voicing his opinion publicly and putting any pressure on the club when it comes to the decision. I can see the headline now:

On the flip side, it shouldnt matter what he says publicly if we want to be seen as a club with spine.

I have no issue with Sloane wanting to retain the captaincy, but that should be given no bearing by the club. If he's not the best choice for captain anymore (and there's a very reasonable argument that he's not) then it should go to whoever is.
Yep, a big test coming up for Nicks and the club with how they handle and select the captain for next year

He didn’t do it by accident, he knows he’s made it more difficult for them to make a change. Walsh did it with VB, but I doubt Nix has it in him.

I’ve got a few criticisms of Rory, but this isn’t really one of them.

It’s not his job to make life easier for club leadership, particularly if they lack the gumption to just do their jobs

The only problem will be if they lack the backbone to make their own decisions

The issue that I have is that they know that we don’t have the backbone and they are happy to trade on that to progress their best outcome irrespective of the group’s.

Laird or Dawson as Captain in 2023 for mine.

Sloane needs to just focus on finding form and looking after his body (like what Tex and Boak have done since relinquishing captaincy)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That sounds like jungle law in operation.

We’re not here to fight against nature.

If you put wildebeest in charge of jungle security, then what else can you expect?

I don’t really know. I’ve no idea about the wildebeest’s security credentials, nor the overarching risks of jungle security itself.

Last edited:

I see a better headline of "crows looking to the future".

Laird will be Captain next year

Best performed player, a Nicks favourite and respected by everyone. No brainer IMO

you seriously reckon that Nix will remove the captaincy from Sloane? He couldn't even bring himself to appoint a single acting captain because it implies a mere 1 person can replace Sloane for half a year. I'd have Sloane not being captain at the same price of him not publicly stating he wants an extension and then getting it next year. WrUte your own ticket type odds.

I’ve got a few criticisms of Rory, but this isn’t really one of them.

It’s not his job to make life easier for club leadership, particularly if they lack the gumption to just do their jobs

The only problem will be if they lack the backbone to make their own decisions
Yep. It's common for professional sportspeople to want to keep going even if they're getting past their used-by date. You can't fault them for being competitive people but if they lack the instinct to be objective about their own performance, that's when you need the adults to enter the room.

I don't think the Desk would want it: he's a very modest player.

That’s the other reason Sloane has gone public with his desire to keep the gig. He knows it’s harder for someone else to actively want the gig if they know he still wants it. Straight out of the VB playbook. It took Tex quite a lot of convincing to take on the gig. Having the soon to be ex-captain desperate to hold onto the gig would have been a fair part of the reluctance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back