Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s important to vilify all of our champion players when they reach 30 years of age.

I recently revisited the Tex thread in 2020. Do the words “ Just piss off Tex” bring back any memories?

Funny how the negative sentiments seem to correspond with their lack of form. Amazing.

Haven’t seen too many piss off Tex posts in the last few years, have you?

Funny how the negative sentiments seem to correspond with their lack of form. Amazing.

Haven’t seen too many piss off Tex posts in the last few years, have you?
Haven’t seen any posters admit they were wrong back then either. I just don’t understand why some posters get so much pleasure from all things negative.

“I don’t want to pour s**t on a champion of our club on the day he announces his retirement but, but, but……….”

Last edited:

Haven’t seen any posters admit they were wrong back then either. I just don’t understand why some posters get so much pleasure from all things negative.

“I don’t want to pourshit on a champion ofour club on the day he announces his retirement but, but, but……….”
Who says it’s pleasure, more like airing frustration. And there’s a lot to be frustrated about here.

Rory’s retirement really has me thinking. Imagine if you could inject Rory’s courage into Rachele or Rory’s sheer will to get to the next contest into Cook.

Both Cook and Rachele would be in the top 5 naturally talented players on our list, but if they don’t work on these gaps then they won’t achieve half of what Sloane did in his career.

Rory is a huge reminder of how far sheer determination can get you - and the heights are pretty lofty.

Bucks said he used to ask his list manager at the end of every season whether they were any chance of luring Sloaney over to Collingwood. Rated him extremely highly. 7th highest rated player in the game from 2012-2017.
It's easy to forget that at his peak he was heading for a Brownlow in 2017, before oppo coaches started tagging him.

Very moving/touching farewell speech to the players.

I can remember shouting "Sloaney!!" many times while watching the Crows.
I'll remember him positively and the moment he flattened Dangerfield was a highlight.

I never saw Sloane shirk a contest or hear footsteps, never saw him hang back, never saw him not try his guts out even after it was clear that his best years were behind him.

Much more than just a scrappy try-hard of whom we have a few in 2024, Sloane is/was someone who gave his all and affected the outcomes of several games.
Effort without impact is nothing <== pay attention, McHenry, Murphy, Sholl and others.
Sloane is worth emulating.

Edit: P.S. I was waiting for Sloane to say "Do me a favour, fellas. Smash PA this Thursday".
It's the least they could do for him.

Bucks said he used to ask his list manager at the end of every season whether they were any chance of luring Sloaney over to Collingwood. Rated him extremely highly. 7th highest rated player in the game from 2012-2017.
Thought that statement was a nice show of class from Bucks after Lyon opened by bumbling around about how he may not be a champion of the game but he is a warrior.

Disrespectful from Lyon on the day Sloane retired. You’d only see that sort of thing from the media towards a Crows player.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think many are underrating that for a solid five years he was a top 20 player in the comp. Think people are also forgetting his first half of 2023 was decent enough and he realistically only went half a season longer than he should (should have certainly retired at the end of 2023 though).

I also completely disagree that this correlates to him being a “selfish” player. Towards the end he shared an entitlement that every other soon-to-retire AFC player bar Luke Brown has had in the last six years. It’s a hierarchy ingrained in the club and doesn’t reflect on Rory individually.

Think many are underrating that for a solid five years he was a top 20 player in the comp. Think people are also forgetting his first half of 2023 was decent enough and he realistically only went half a season longer than he should (should have certainly retired at the end of 2023 though).

I also completely disagree that this correlates to him being a “selfish” player. Towards the end he shared an entitlement that every other soon-to-retire AFC player bar Luke Brown has had in the last six years. It’s a hierarchy ingrained in the club and doesn’t reflect on Rory individually.
He put his hand up to keep playing and backed himself to perform. It’s on the club that they couldn’t/wouldn't make the hard call on him.

Look at the common denominator in the retired AFC players category. It’s the organisation.

The thing I remember about Sloane at his peak was that for a player who was solid without being outstanding at many facets of the game, he always seemed to outbodying someone weaker than him, outrunning someone slower than him, or outmarking someone shorter. Always the right player for that moment.

While I don't rate his captaincy that highly. His late career performances are unfairly maligned here, and were largely down to his poor run with injury. He was still earning Brownlow votes in the final year of his 5 year contract, which is a decent return IMHO.

The thing I remember about Sloane at his peak was that for a player who was solid without being outstanding at many facets of the game, he always seemed to outbodying someone weaker than him, outrunning someone slower than him, or outmarking someone shorter. Always the right player for that moment.

While I don't rate his captaincy that highly. His late career performances are unfairly maligned here, and were largely down to his poor run with injury. He was still earning Brownlow votes in the final year of his 5 year contract, which is a decent return IMHO.
He earnt Brownlow votes last year? Which games?

So before his season went down hill
The last vote against West Coast, was 2 games before his last unambigious good game (30 touches vs North Melbourne). So yes

I'm not sure how he got the vote vs Brisbane tbh (which was actually the home game). His stats were unspectacular, and I don't remember it well enough to say if he rose to the occasion in crucial moments or something like that.

So before his season went down hill
Well, round 11 and 13, and people were criticising him a lot on here before that obviously. But yeah his last couple of months were pretty poor. Was okay as the sub at times, which I think would have been the best role for him if in fact he was to play on this year, but fair to say his on field contributions haven't been missed too much.

If Sloane is around and being selected its doubtful Berry gets to come on and be the matchwinner against Carlton for example. Definitely not someone who needed to play on into 2024, even if his 2023 wasn't quite as consistently awful as was made out at times.

The last vote against West Coast, was 2 games before his last unambigious good game (30 touches vs North Melbourne). So yes

I'm not sure how he got the vote vs Brisbane tbh (which was actually the home game). His stats were unspectacular, and I don't remember it well enough to say if he rose to the occasion in crucial moments or something like that.
It is weird - I was looking at the fact that 5 of his last 7 games were sub-15 disposals (sub does play a role here, was subbed on twice), and to find 5 more Sloane games with sub-15 disposals you have to keep going back to 2018. But one of those 5 is the Brisbane game he got a vote for. I guess he had a lot of tackles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back