Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s important to vilify all of our champion players when they reach 30 years of age.

I recently revisited the Tex thread in 2020. Do the words “ Just piss off Tex” bring back any memories?

Like almost everyone on this Board I thought Rory should have retired at the end of last year but he provided us with an enormous amount of enjoyment over his career. Thanks for the memories Sloaney!

You sure you’re not thinking of another player again?

Haven’t seen any posters admit they were wrong back then either. I just don’t understand why some posters get so much pleasure from all things negative.

“I don’t want to pour s**t on a champion of our club on the day he announces his retirement but, but, but……….”

Tex himself said he thought that he was done end of 2020. Context just isn’t your thing is it?
IMG_4127.png

Did I just hear right that bucks said Rory was the highest rated player in a 6 year period 12-17?

No I think it was 7th rated player over that period and above him were nothing but Brownlow medalists and legends like Pendlebury. People forget pretty quick.

I'll never forget that moment when he shirtfronted Dangerfield in the '17 prelim. When he got up and Danger didn't, that said it all about the kind of player he was.

Congratulations to Sloaney for a long career marked by toughness, heart, love and respect from all of his peers.

He must be satisfied knowing he's leaving the game with nothing more to give, and no doubts whether to keep going, and no regrets. That's not that common, and I can't think of too many other players more deserving.

Thread only a few weeks back where some nuffies wanted to retire Tex, check it out if you want a laugh.

Tex remains in a grey area, was playing with an injured back and more injuries will put potential extension under pressure. But if his last 3 weeks form continues, he’s a strong likelihood of being offered an extension. And of course a lot of the posts you read as wanting retirement would actually have been wanting him rested.

Tex remains in a grey area, was playing with an injured back and more injuries will put potential extension under pressure. But if his last 3 weeks form continues, he’s a strong likelihood of being offered an extension. And of course a lot of the posts you read as wanting retirement would actually have been wanting him rested.
At 34 people will be quick to write him off when his form dives.

That’s probably fair, I expect the decline will be rapid when it happens.

At 34 people will be quick to write him off when his form dives.

That’s probably fair, I expect the decline will be rapid when it happens.

His 2 years prior to his contract year 2021 were pretty average. Just looked to be playing hampered for large parts of the season. I’ll never forget his ‘mini preseason’ that lasted 2 weeks before Pyke rushing him back due to unexpected losses.

Reality is that all our senior players seem to hit a pretty big wall. Playing them injured throughout their early 30s can’t be great for a strong 30+ career. Per Tex’s own thoughts, imagine he didn’t have 2021 contracted and we had him on the delist pile like ended up happening with Talia, Brown and Lynch. Could have retired or played elsewhere kicking bags.

I was going to touch on this too

His signature at the time was a bit of a watershed moment for the club.

A big named player knocking back overtures from Vic to stay at the club is the sort of commitment that helps build culture within the playing group.

Even though Rory was never quite been the same since his foot injury, getting him to sign was massively important to the club.

And yet within 12 months of that signing (12 July 2018) it all went to 💩.

He was a gut runner on the field.

I expect Tex to kick a bag this week.

Sloane’s retirement
Very pleased to see a lot of positivity
around Rory’s career on this thread
Some great posts and captured some special moments along the way

When Rory first joined the club was greatful to have met him then as a gorgeous youngster with them blond curls in Darwin
Was to speak at a club supporter function day after the game here in Darwin just a few years ago now
He was knocked out

Can someone please post my Knarlin Ned’s moment in the bin with Rory

Always a warrior xx

Sloane’s retirement

When Rory first joined the club was greatful to have met him then as a gorgeous youngster with them blond curls in Darwin
Was to speak at a club supporter function day after the game here in Darwin just a few years ago now
He was knocked out

Always a warrior xx

Always remember his first game - I was in a bar up in the Whitsundays and it was a Friday night game.

Some players you always remember their first game, others not so much.

Love Sloane even though we should have convinced him to go out on field to end last year. Sad way to end it all in the end, but almost hard to imagine it any other way given he put every bit of his body into every game he played.

Also, did you see Nicks face light up like a ******* Christmas Tree when Sloane mentioned Murphy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane’s retirement

He was knocked out

Always a warrior xx

Dangerfield, Gunston, Walker, Davis and Tippett - Sloane must have looked at the quality of the list in 2010 and thought to himself that he would be at least be part of 1 premiership.

What could have been. :'(

Hi
Just wanted to ask....any reason he didn't wear goggles like mason Cox?

Aren’t the Mason Cox goggles more about his ability to see, whereas Rory can actually see pretty well and the concern is potentially doing further damage that he won’t recover from?

Rory said it’s because a innocuous head knock could cause the detached retina again, and it’s not so much the direct impact to his eye that is the risk, and hence goggles wouldn’t actually help.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sloane’s retirement

He was knocked out

Always a warrior xx
He is certainly a way better player than McSpuddy. Even right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back