Ross Smith - What went wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad reality is every player is capable of applying pressure agree and every player is capable of tackling ...... and God forbid, they now DO.
We aren't a better team at applying pressure because of three blokes yes we are, (6 blokes, 3 ins and 3 outs) (Butler, Castagna and Rioli), we are better as they all do it - captain included, and even blokes like Houli and Grigg and BEllis have joined the party.
So where was the previous logic? Truth is we were as you great mate Dimma said .. 'not a tackling side'. selective quote, try this...
A glaring weakness in the Tigers' performance was its tackling pressure, losing the count 42-63, despite St Kilda winning 58 more possessions.

Hardwick, however, said there was "some system to the madness".

"Sometimes we want high tackle numbers, sometimes we're prepared to sit off a bit and let them go certain ways," he said.

"It all interconnects with how you play. We're a low tackle side. Some sides are high tackle, depending on the style of game."

"We still expect better effort come the first half and the second half was better."

He was prepared to put all his eggs in one basket and have one bloke (first King and then later a miscast Steve Morris, who he ruined) be that tackling/pressure player, while he turned a blind eye to the likes of Vickery, who neither tackled (tackle stats are similar to Riewoldts), chased, nor applied a semblance of pressure, but allowed that to become thew standard by rewarding him with game after game. Reality dictates if Vickery had stayed stick with reality, he was booted last year, he would have been sent packing by roud three under the 'new' standard'. Any of Gordon, Dea, Arnott, McDonough NO, all duds could have done in 2015 what Butler and Castagna do now, but tackling and pressure was not a priority - keepings off was. Hardwick was content to think one defensive forward was enough. They ship him off to Harvard and he comes back to see a whole new world that's evolved in his absence if you believe that you just don't like the bloke and refuse to give him any credit, and renders any argument you post as tainted . The current team tackle, chase and harass across the board, not just forward so how do you explain our across the board tackle rank as mid pack, yet tackles inside 50 as elite?- but this was never a priority until this season.

You of all people - Hardwick's mate and most avid defender, who never once has questioned a single decision he made - uses the line of 'tainted arguments' :p:p:D:D:eek::rolleyes:

So this years strategy evolved in his absence? Nothing to do with Hardwick?

If you believe that you are blinded by something that's not quite rational...

It seems pretty clear that however you feel about Dimma our game has been enhanced defensively by the new coaches and it helps that Balme has taken control of team selection.

I wanted Dimma gone as much as anyone and yeah he is very lucky to be there but in saying all that he with the other coaches with this decent game plan and good recruiting have got us to the precipice.

Even the most ardent Dimma death rider should be able to concede that. I can.

It seems pretty clear that however you feel about Dimma our game has been enhanced defensively by the new coaches and it helps that Balme has taken control of team selection.

I wanted Dimma gone as much as anyone and yeah he is very lucky to be there but in saying all that he with the other coaches with this decent game plan and good recruiting have got us to the precipice.

Even the most ardent Dimma death rider should be able to concede that. I can.

Oh FFS Wang, you've got to be kidding.

I thought this was a Ross Smith thread, not a another Dimma argument thread that never goes anywhere.

I think I might have managed to get ignore list bingo in this thread :p

So this years strategy evolved in his absence? Nothing to do with Hardwick?

If you believe that you are blinded by something that's not quite rational...
Only need go back to when the Tigers were on the Gold Coast during pre-season. Who was that taking charge of all the trainings? I believe his name is Caracella.
Luck to Hardwick ..... he's got a bright young star in Caracella leading the way and Balme overseeing it .. the guy couldn't have gotten any luckier.
We've seen what he's capable of in recent seasons, Hardwick, but to you it's all Hardwick who takes credit.
PS Helen Wheels , for the 296th and last time, I don't hate Hardwick, never have, never will. FWIW I don't hate anyone. I just think he has shown to be a limited coach and at least, early on, was a fantastic figurehead for this club and I will always pay him his due for turning us around. But he lost me completely last year with the way he treated the season and every media opportunity as a joke, disrespecting the club FFS .. 'we're not a tackling side' when footy has been based on tackloing for how many hundred years?? I like. Maybe ask someone involved at other AFL clubs and they will tell you has really been the masterminds behind this turnaround ... it's a not so subtle secret.

Only need go back to when the Tigers were on the Gold Coast during pre-season. Who was that taking charge of all the trainings? I believe his name is Caracella.
Luck to Hardwick ..... he's got a bright young star in Caracella leading the way and Balme overseeing it .. the guy couldn't have gotten any luckier.
We've seen what he's capable of in recent seasons, Hardwick, but to you it's all Hardwick who takes credit.
PS Helen Wheels , for the 296th and last time, I don't hate Hardwick, never have, never will. FWIW I don't hate anyone. I just think he has shown to be a limited coach and at least, early on, was a fantastic figurehead for this club and I will always pay him his due for turning us around. But he lost me completely last year with the way he treated the season and every media opportunity as a joke, disrespecting the club FFS .. 'we're not a tackling side' when footy has been based on tackloing for how many hundred years?? I like. Maybe ask someone involved at other AFL clubs and they will tell you has really been the masterminds behind this turnaround ... it's a not so subtle secret.

It's not all down to Hardwick, I've never said that. Caracella, Leppa and Balme were all upgrades on last year.
I just stick up for Hardwick when all the accolades from people like you and your lurking liker go to everyone but Hardwick.
He's made lots of errors, had a blinkered view at times and became too insular.
But ffs he's the first AFL coach I've seen that's recognised all that, had the courage to change and driven a side widely touted as bottom four to top four.

Oh and who's blowing the whistle during pre season is not the best indicator of who's running the show. Sheesh.

It's not all down to Hardwick, I've never said that. Caracella, Leppa and Balme were all upgrades on last year.
I just stick up for Hardwick when all the accolades from people like you and your lurking liker go to everyone but Hardwick.
He's made lots of errors, had a blinkered view at times and became too insular.
But ffs he's the first AFL coach I've seen that's recognised all that, had the courage to change and driven a side widely touted as bottom four to top four.

Oh and who's blowing the whistle during pre season is not the best indicator of who's running the show. Sheesh.

What does Mrs Hardwick think? ;)

What you say has truth to it - I think Hardwick was overcoaching to the extreme last year in a style that's gone the way of the dodo. However, he is getting results at the moment. He has completely changed his coaching philosophy in the space of one off season and it has worked.

You might not hate him or hate anyone, but I don't understand why you continually insist that he's lost you completely when he has the team playing off in a GF.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I'm currently sitting with two persons who attended and participated in all meetings and drills at the Preseason Camp on the Sunshine Coast, and not the Gold Coast.

The Camp was well and truly lead by D Hardwick.

Haere Ra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm currently sitting with two persons who attended and participated in all meetings and drills at the Preseason Camp on the Sunshine Coast, and not the Gold Coast.

The Camp was well and truly lead by D Hardwick.

Haere Ra
Sunshine Coast .. my bad.
People on the ground I know who attended tell it differently.

Sunshine Coast .. my bad.
People on the ground I know who attended tell it differently.

Right ok.

I personally know the 4 corporates who did attend, were inside the four walls and participated in everything, and they say otherwise.

Haere Ra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back