AFL Autopsy Round 1, 2019: Flogging from GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Bullshit. He's only any good when his career is on the line. We gave him a 2 year deal based on half a dozen good games last year. Let's ignore the fact that he's had 10 years on an AFL list, has hit double figures for goals twice and averaged over a goal a game once.

I guess those half a dozen games were an outlier

anyone got graphs?

Just reading the Heppell article linked above:
How many times (in the last few years) have we heard in the aftermath that "that (Sunday's display) isn't what we're about"?
Whether it's player or coaches that have to front up - We come out & say that 1 or 2 times a year (sometimes more)

Words mean f. all.
If you keep playing s**t like this then yes it is what you're about. Own it - Fix it!
Its worn so thin, we all see through it

Called for him to be replaced as captain last year.
I stepped back from that call at the end of the season.
I should have held my ground.

We are directionless at the moment.

I guess those half a dozen games were an outlier

anyone got graphs?
Given that half of his 10 games where he's kicked multiple goals were last year, yeah, it's a pretty big outlier.

McKernan was playing on a very good defender, who had the ability to subtly chop his arms and played him very tight, after that Smack got a little frustrated, gave away a couple of frees and his confidence waned thereafter.

At his essence he's a confidence player.

Needs to start next round with a bang.
Josh Bruce would've kicked 5 goals.

;)

Unlucky lads, but don’t worry you will get a healthy percentage boost next round. You’re playing us, who are an absolute rabble!

St Kilda and proud.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-25/we-dont-stand-for-that-heppell-shocked-by-dismal-showing

Dois, mate, it’s EXACTLY WHAT WE ****IN STAND FOR. That’s the problem.
Like clockwork.

1. Play shithouse uninspiring football
2. Coach in post match presser says he is unsure what went wrong
3. Players speak to media saying it's not acceptable and we will bring club brand back to the field
4. Club asks supporters to stick with them as they feel the hurt too
5. Play shithouse uninspiring football against lower talented team and win
6. Pretend everything has been fixed & "LET'S GET TO 80K BACK IN WHATEVER IT TAKES DON THE SASH MEMBERS"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKernan was playing on a very good defender, who had the ability to subtly chop his arms and played him very tight, after that Smack got a little frustrated, gave away a couple of frees and his confidence waned thereafter.

At his essence he's a confidence player.

Needs to start next round with a bang.

Smack is a confidence player that usually takes two or three weeks to warm up but his lack of awareness and effort was an issue, at one point he stood between Walla and a Giants player and instead of offering a sheppard, he just stood there man watching luckly Walla hit Stringer for a goal and on a couple of occasions he didn't chase hard enough to impact the contest.

Smack is a confidence player that usually takes two or three weeks to warm up but his lack of awareness and effort was an issue, at one point he stood between Walla and a Giants player and instead of offering a sheppard, he just stood there man watching luckly Walla hit Stringer for a goal and on a couple of occasions he didn't chase hard enough to impact the contest.

in the first quarter the ball was sailing to him at the top of the square, he rose for the mark and got a hand to it as Phil Davis chopped through his arms, free kick all day - he remonstrated with the ump, got nothing and I saw his head drop... I knew there and then he was cooked.

Sure I know he needs to be more resilient than that, ...if he gets that free, kicks the goal, he leans back and fist pumps, adrenaline flows, we are leading - you get a different smack.

Nobody wants to have a guy who can go hot or cold on the back of one bad decision, maybe that's why hes into his 9th season and still hasn't cemented a career. But hes what we have til JD returns, I need to keep pumping his tyres for my own mental well being ;)

in the first quarter the ball was sailing to him at the top of the square, he rose for the mark and got a hand to it as Phil Davis chopped through his arms, free kick all day - he remonstrated with the ump, got nothing and I saw his head drop... I knew there and then he was cooked.

Sure I know he needs to be more resilient than that, ...if he gets that free, kicks the goal, he leans back and fist pumps, adrenaline flows, we are leading - you get a different smack.

Nobody wants to have a guy who can go hot or cold on the back of one bad decision, maybe that's why hes into his 9th season and still hasn't cemented a career. But hes what we have til JD returns, I need to keep pumping his tyres for my own mental well being ;)

I actually like Smack but he can be hot and cold and that was a bad call by the ump but Smack usually gets better with each match so will probably be better this week and yesterday was one of those days where most of the side were poor so Smack was partly caught up in that.

Like clockwork.

3. Players speak to media saying it's not acceptable and we will bring club brand back to the field
6. Pretend everything has been fixed & "LET'S GET TO 80K BACK IN WHATEVER IT TAKES DON THE SASH MEMBERS"

They really need a balance up / dose of reality in this area.

We’ve all been there ourselves. We’ve been in workshops

- these are our values

- this is what we stand for

- these are our behaviours

Bla bla *in bla

They actually need somebody external, who knows footy, to give them a *in heads up...

“Actually lads, this is what Essendon stands for, and it’s not pretty.”

Now go and do something about it, or * off.

This is what we stand for:

Walking upright on two legs is the trait that defines the hominid lineage: Bipedalism separated the first hominids from the rest of the four-legged apes. Hominids needed to walk on two legs to free up their hands. Without it handball would not be possible, and thus our run and carry game plan would be predated.

Like clockwork.

7. Call members who already spend a lot spruiking a chance to talk to player x for $500.

7. Call members who already spend a lot spruiking a chance to talk to player x for $500.

$500 to tell a player to harden up and don't be afraid to chase and tackle or to hit a target sounds better value than whatever we are paying Woosha.

$500 to tell a player to harden up and don't be afraid to chase and tackle or to hit a target sounds better value than whatever we are paying Woosha.
Maybe for you, I'm pretty lazy and soft so not sure the message would be listened to if I tried...if I've learnt anything from my club it's better not to try, than to try and fail.

Cue eDPS

I've never been a McKernan fan, but I can't make head or tail of his performance last night. He's capable of better. The team in general was quite fumbly, our smalls don't have a lot of options when the opposition is marking everything and our talls can't even bring it to ground.

It's interesting to me to compare the team selections between our GWS game this year and last year (same deck, totally different outcome) and also the best-ish 22 that we finished with at the end of last year (some of them had a bit of time-share due to injuries and role changes).

Round 10, 2018
A: GWS, 35p win

Round 9-23 2018
Most games, 10W 4L

Round 1, 2019
A: GWS, 72p loss

Forwards
Jake Stringer
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Mark Baguley
Shaun McKernan
James Stewart
Jayden Laverde

Forwards
Jake Stringer
Mark Baguley
Shaun McKernan
Mitch Brown
Travis Colyer

Forwards
Jake Stringer
Mark Baguley
Shaun McKernan
Mitch Brown
Orazio Fantasia (from midfield)

Ruck
Tom Bellchambers

Ruck
Tom Bellchambers

Ruck
Tom Bellchambers

Midfielders
Dyson Heppell
Zach Merrett
David Zaharakis
Andrew McGrath
Devon Smith
Kyle Langford
Matt Guelfi
Orazio Fantasia

Midfielders
Dyson Heppell
Zach Merrett
David Zaharakis
Andrew McGrath
Devon Smith
Kyle Langford
Matt Guelfi
David Myers
Orazio Fantasia/Darcy Parish

Midfielders
Dyson Heppell
Zach Merrett
David Zaharakis
Andrew McGrath
Devon Smith
Kyle Langford
Matt Guelfi
David Myers
Dylan Shiel

Defenders
Conor McKenna
Adam Saad
Patrick Ambrose
Cale Hooker
Jordan Ridley
Brendon Goddard
Matt Dea

Defenders
Conor McKenna
Adam Saad
Patrick Ambrose/Aaron Francis
Cale Hooker
Michael Hurley/Jordan Ridley
Brendon Goddard
Matt Dea

Defenders
Conor McKenna
Adam Saad
Patrick Ambrose
Jordan Ridley
Michael Hurley
Aaron Francis
Also these tables are a massive jerk to work with. Java or something keeps freezing up my browser :mad:

Wouldn't read to much into it. The delivery into the forward line was rushed and we had absolutely no space. Gws out played us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back