Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez.. if we took the Eddie Betts assassination job, out of this thread, we'd halve it. Not sure why the negatives on him. Think that Stratton and he have a lot of time for each other and played it out like classy competitors. Credit to both. Stratton had his number, again.

Don't feed the trolls. Must remind myself.

If our midfield continues to develop with the same promise they showed yesterday then I wouldn’t be surprised to see cognilio drop from our wish list and we go for tall timber up forward and down back.

It’s a toss up between take a-grade talent whenever it presents itself or go after the options you really need. Dunno. Good problem to have.

If Cogs has chosen us, as a FA, we would’ve signed the bloke up already.

Allows us to use our first pick on a young gun tall and develop him.

Exactly. However criticism of Breust generally is a reflection on the poster rather than Breust.
Hell, we even have posters who criticise Clarko.
My only criticism of Breust was during his run of goals without a behind. (which by the way Razor ray ruined with him calling time early on him.) He tended to refrain from taking shots he should have towards the end of that run. He'd kick it to a 40/60 contest when he had a 70/30 shot. In every other way he is every bit as good as Cyril in a one on one with the loose ball on the ground. And in the air.

The game plan has changed a bit. We’ve finally done away with the switch to the outer side at all costs tactic. That got found out and chopped off by the good sides last year, partly because we don’t have the same kicking skills as we once did. Now, we look shorter into the guts but if that’s not on we just bang it long and straight to a contest and get numbers around it. Hence the discrepancy in the stats. We don’t stuff around with it now. It’s effective but very taxing (and fairly unattractive). Poppy, Nash and Breust are key to it up forward. Last year we won games late doing it but ran out of puff at the wrong time. Will be interesting to see how long we can keep up the intensity.
Yup. Seems like Richmond 2017 game plan. Average side knowing their role and running hard both ways. They did it superbly but we can try replicating it

Enjoyed Roughead's game. Looks a lot more free after relinquishing the captaincy.

Enjoyed Burgoyne's clearance at the start of the last quarter.

McEvoy dominated Jacobs all over the ground. That helped Hawthorn offset the loss of Mitchell because it gave the Hawthorn midfield a chance against a unit that looked stronger on paper.

And it is always nice to see Betts and Walker and Lynch and Jenkins disappear when the heat is on.

Very good team victory.

If our midfield continues to develop with the same promise they showed yesterday then I wouldn’t be surprised to see cognilio drop from our wish list and we go for tall timber up forward and down back.

It’s a toss up between take a-grade talent whenever it presents itself or go after the options you really need. Dunno. Good problem to have.
100% chase Cogs, I reckon.

If the Coniglio thing is a thing, it's because we've put years of work in & commitments have been made. We'll not turn our back on him now, nor should we.

A Grade Mids that are A Grade People, with seasoned bodies that run both ways are worth it. Also means we have depth on the field & in the playing list.

B: Blake Hardwick, James Frawley, Jarman Impey
HB: Shaun Burgoyne, David Mirra, Ben Stratton
C: Tom Scully, Liam Shiels, Isaac Smith
HF: Jarryd Roughead, Chad Wingard, James Sicily
F: Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Paul Puopolo
R: Ben McEvoy, James Worpel, Jaeger O’Meara
INT: Jack Scrimshaw, Daniel Howe, Jonathon Ceglar, Harry Morrison
Emer: Dylan Moore, Oliver Hanrahan, Mitch Lewis, Kaiden Brand, Conor Nash, James Cousins, Ricky Henderson

Looking good
3 changes after a comprehensive win on the road...I don't see any chance unless an enforced change in there.

The team looks great though, I just don't see the MC rocking the boat.

Doggies brought the pressure for 2.5Qtrs so I don't expect all 3 off the back on no preseason games to come in yet.

Trust the Process, and Clarko and Sammy

Hardwick is such a good player. Hard to believe how his development has led him to become a key defender in our setup.

Frawley looks different. Haven't seen him look this good since the Melbourne days. Must be fit for once.

Harry is outstanding.

Not sure how we drop a couple of players to fit in Scully and Wingard.

Imagine how hard it is going to be fitting in Mitchell and Coniglio plus whatever low gold draft pick we somehow find :)
#hawthornproblems

Didn't think we had a chance honestly. Just felt we would regress and the Crows were primed for a huge year. This has certainly raised my expectations for the season though. Play like that every week with 22 contributors and finals is indeed a huge possibility in 2019.

Individually, I thought Worpel and McEvoy were absolutely massive. Big Boy has become a seriously consistent big man in the past 3 years. The Worpedo looks like a kid about 60 games into his career, not 10. So much poise and toughness.
Nash did some really nice little things that wouldn't have been noticeable to everybody. His 75 ranking points from limited disposals suggests his impact was greater than it seemed on the surface as well.
Scrimshaw grew into the game a bit and by the end looked a bit more comfortable. Looks like he could be a very clean player with some continuity. The Birchall comparisons are very apt as well. He even runs like him.
Sicily was excellent as aways. Come to expect it now.
Didn't notice Jager a lot but the stats would suggest I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Stratton played a great first game as captain. Was the typical game from him and that's why he was chosen as a leader.

All in all, a super positive and unexpected start to the season. Great job fellas.

B: Blake Hardwick, James Frawley, Jarman Impey
HB: Shaun Burgoyne, David Mirra, Ben Stratton
C: Tom Scully, Liam Shiels, Isaac Smith
HF: Jarryd Roughead, Chad Wingard, James Sicily
F: Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Paul Puopolo
R: Ben McEvoy, James Worpel, Jaeger O’Meara
INT: Jack Scrimshaw, Daniel Howe, Jonathon Ceglar, Harry Morrison
Emer: Dylan Moore, Oliver Hanrahan, Mitch Lewis, Kaiden Brand, Conor Nash, James Cousins, Ricky Henderson

Looking good
Nah, he is quality. Smith, Scully & Hendo will provide non stop running to the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, he is quality. Smith, Scully & Hendo will provide non stop running to the end.
100%.

Play Smitty, Scully, Hendo, Impey, Nash, Breust, Gunners, Popeye & Shiels & you've got 9/22 (40%?) of your team that are 2-way, hard runners. Maybe excusing Nash & Impey (of 2018), but they can also hit targets & kick goals.

That's massive in allowing guys like JO'M, Wingard, Burgoyne, Cousins & Worpel to focus on clearance work & hopefully keeps them 'burst fresh'. Doesn't give them free reign to be front runners, but we'll see it in the last quarter if they've had to run 7-8km instead of 9-10km due to the support of our other players.

I think Cousens did enough to keep his spot and I think it’s crucial to his confidence and development that he stays in. Scrimshaw and Nash also did enough to keep their spots.

As much as it pains me it’s guys like Pop and Henderson who may need to make way for Wingard and Scully. Age is a factor and development is crucial for going forward and we still have enough balance of the old and the new so as to not unbalance the side.

I think the team makeup will also be dependent on who we are playing and that’s why we trust Clarko as I for one was one who questioned the selection of Mirra and yet he put in a solid display

100%.

Play Smitty, Scully, Hendo, Impey, Nash, Breust, Gunners, Popeye & Shiels & you've got 9/22 (40%?) of your team that are 2-way, hard runners. Maybe excusing Nash & Impey (of 2018), but they can also hit targets & kick goals.

That's massive in allowing guys like JO'M, Wingard, Burgoyne, Cousins & Worpel to focus on clearance work & hopefully keeps them 'burst fresh'. Doesn't give them free reign to be front runners, but we'll see it in the last quarter if they've had to run 7-8km instead of 9-10km due to the support of our other players.
I also like the idea of Nash rotating on the wing. All of them goal kickers (maybe not so much Nash yet), endurance beasts who have footy smarts and are very good users of the ball. Youre right, this combo on the wings allows other players to focus more on their more natural positions.
Midfield development will be crucial to any success in finals this year

For those that were knocking me for having Brisbane in my top 8 i think it’s time to start taking them seriously. They remind me of the 2007 Hawks when we were starting to come of age but obviously not as talented. Can they realise their raw potential is the question but I had no qualms putting them in my top 8 even if they’ve still got a long way to go.

Rewatched the game this morning, outstanding effort from the guys.
What I loved most was, at the end of the game our boys, clearly happy with the win, but restrained.
Watching the cats on Friday night, the way they carried on you’d have been forgiven for thinking they had just won a final

For those that were knocking me for having Brisbane in my top 8 i think it’s time to start taking them seriously. They remind me of the 2007 Hawks when we were starting to come of age but obviously not as talented. Can they realise their raw potential is the question but I had no qualms putting them in my top 8 even if they’ve still got a long way to go.

I agree, I had them as finalists too this year. Think they have a great mix of youth, talent and experience

Rewatched the game this morning, outstanding effort from the guys.
What I loved most was, at the end of the game our boys, clearly happy with the win, but restrained.
Watching the cats on Friday night, the way they carried on you’d have been forgiven for thinking they had just won a final
Same with Port 😂

That was a brilliant win. yes, I know we own them at Adelaide Oval but they've got a great midfield and we played them on their own deck.

JOM is an absolute beast. A top shelf goal kicking midfielder. Love watching him play. 24 touches, 2 goals, 5 tackles. Beast.

The pressure we put on the crows in the first 10 minutes was a shock. Didn't think we'd be able to sustain it for very long but we kept at it. At half time I didn't think we'd put enough on the scoreboard.

Scrimshaw is a great find. He's a really good player. Kane Cornes will want a double investigation soon.

The backline performed incredibly. Betts, Walker, Lynch and Jenkins basically disappeared for four quarters.

So many good performances it's hard to pick out what was most pleasing. Will need to rewatch to get a better sense of Nash's game because I didn't notice him much.

As much as it pains me it’s guys like Pop and Henderson who may need to make way for Wingard and Scully. Age is a factor and development is crucial for going forward and we still have enough balance of the old and the new so as to not unbalance the side.
Henderson was excellent yesterday. I can't see him being dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back