Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Because of the the ** centre clearance dominance it would be interesting to see how many times after we kicked a goal ** immediately responded with a goal?

To be fair to Reeves, Goldy is going to go down as one of the best ruckmen of the 21st century.

He's got a lot more tricks and it showed. He always took best position in the centre blocking Reeves out and dominated him in the stoppages around the ground.

He's got a high footy IQ for a big fella.
I'm amazed he still has his smarts after all the times Lewis absolutely poleaxed poor Goldy.

I never knew quite what it was about Todd that so enraged Jordan, he seems like a pretty nice fella to me 😂

Our midfield simply needs to learn how to defend. Kick straight, Finn plays best 22 we win.

* the scum. Enough there to win games this year. But our mids simply need to defend better if we're gonna be a real threat. Wasn't good enough. Go next

Also, he wasn't like a star or anything. But given the unnecessary vitriol he gets day in day out. Frost was very good. Better than our captain today. So many big efforts from him, was very pleased with his performance.

Melbourne
Geelong
Collingwood
GCS
North
Sydney
WBD
Saints
Port
Brisbane

Are all up next. I was too scared to look beyond that.

Looking at that draw you would be thinking we finished top 4 last season

Our midfield simply needs to learn how to defend. Kick straight, Finn plays best 22 we win.

* the scum. Enough there to win games this year. But our mids simply need to defend better if we're gonna be a real threat. Wasn't good enough. Go next

Also, he wasn't like a star or anything. But given the unnecessary vitriol he gets day in day out. Frost was very good. Better than our captain today. So many big efforts from him, was very pleased with his performance.
Actually thought Frost was really good. Conceded 10cm to 2MP, and held his own.

To be fair to Reeves, Goldy is going to go down as one of the best ruckmen of the 21st century.

He's got a lot more tricks and it showed. He always took best position in the centre blocking Reeves out and dominated him in the stoppages around the ground.

He's got a high footy IQ for a big fella.
He also gets a nice benefit from the change of ruck rules this season. Means he can use his strength more and block the taller or leaping rucks

I feel like I'm in the minority but I thought Reeves did OK.
And the game was pretty evenly matched and could have gone our way had we just converted better.

A lost opportunity that's for sure.

I try not to make comments without watching the game, but I don't see the benefit of playing Finn Maginness.

We're only hindering the development of one of our youngsters by playing Finn - we're still a couple years away from finals; the advantage of tagging an opposition player out of the game at the expense of exposing Hustwaite, for example, to more game time, is actually detrimental to the pace of our progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like I'm in the minority but I thought Reeves did OK.
And the game was pretty evenly matched and could have gone our way had we just converted better.

A lost opportunity that's for sure.

I thought Reeves was the best ruckman in the first half. Had a lot of HTA. Especially in the 2nd quarter.

We didn't capitalise on the dominance and couldn't hit the scoreboard.

Goldy got on top in the second.

Strange game. We didn't play well, some of our better players put in ordinary games and our goal kicking was awful but we were right in it up until the last 10 minutes. Ginnivan and Worpel both faded.

Sam clearly has a game plan and doesn't seem all that fussed about premiership points. I think it will be a while before it becomes obvious what his game plan is because he is introducing it in bits bits and pieces as he does not want players to get confused by too many moving parts.

Melbourne
Geelong
Collingwood
GCS
North
Sydney
WBD
Saints
Port
Brisbane

Are all up next. I was too scared to look beyond that.
We beat Brisbane , WBD , North and Collingwood last year . Noone would have thought that .
Its read tough but can almost gaurantee 1-2 of the 'top' sides there wont be.

If we kicked straight today we would head into next week thinking a W is possible , and we should anyway in a tight comp

Lots of s**t went wrong today, but here's another angle...

Essendon spent the last 6 months telling people that they were working on being harder to score against.

We had 28 shots on goal and despite getting pantsed in the middle were +7 inside 50's by the end of the game.

Wasted opportunity for us, but Essendon don't seem to have tightened up their defensive issues much at all.

Lots of s**t went wrong today, but here's another angle...

Essendon spent the last 6 months telling people that they were working on being harder to score against.

We had 28 shots on goal and despite getting pantsed in the middle were +7 inside 50's by the end of the game.

Wasted opportunity for us, but Essendon don't seem to have tightened up their defensive issues much at all.
Essendon are s**t. But that’s what makes today so disappointing

Watched Amon closely in his new role and he was honestly awful defensively. Couldn't track his man, couldn't kill contests, couldn't calm the pressure with loose balls. We're desperate for Seamus and Bmac to get back to take those roles and let Amon return to his wing.
You can see the reasoning of playing Amon off half back to give more run but a defenders first priority is to defend and if he can't do that he shouldn't be playing in defence.

Watched Amon closely in his new role and he was honestly awful defensively. Couldn't track his man, couldn't kill contests, couldn't calm the pressure with loose balls. We're desperate for Seamus and Bmac to get back to take those roles and let Amon return to his wing.

The new Bramble at HBF, except that Amon is a quality wingman so we are robbing Peter and Paul at the same time.

Hopefully Seamus is back soon.

Hardwick and Seamus to the BP and Amon back to the wing, please.

Essendon are s**t. But that’s what makes today so disappointing
Or maybe they are better than they were, but we're just all gloomy guts and knee jerky because we couldn't get it done on the scoreboard.

Time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back