Preview Round 1 - Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide 7.10pm Sat 19th March - Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1647073161245.jpeg

Round 1 Preview – Saturday 19 March 7.10 pm(AEST) Gabba

Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide

Footy is back! Will be great to have crowds in Melbourne again and hopefully footy will be back to some form of normality.

Looking forward to the start of another Season full of optimism after the third season in a row with top 4 finishes in 2021 for the Lions. Unfortunately falling out of the finals in dramatic style by 1 point against eventual Grand Final runners up to an umpire aided Western Bulldogs in front of a ropeable Brisbane Crowd at the Gabba, can still remember the boooos at the umpires after the game and I honestly think they were scared to walk from the ground.

Port Adelaide would also be reasonably confident coming into the year with a couple of finals seasons under their belt. Although with a bit of trepidation after a Preliminary Final defeat to the Western Bulldogs where they were smashed through the middle of the ground and effectively all over the park with a bruising 6-9-45 to 17-14-116 defeat.

Injury listsLions will be coming in with only 2 missing from what many consider to be their best 22 with Eric Hipwood (knee) and Kiddy Coleman (hamstring) both unavailable. Dayne Zorko should be available but will be a little under done with an ongoing Achilles issue which hopefully will now be resolved after an op last month.

For Port, Charlie Dixon (ankle) will likely be unavailable, Orazio Fantasia (knee) will also be unavailable after recent surgery. After coming up sore after the game against the Crows last week, Tom Clurey has gone in for surgery and will miss the start of the season. Robbie Gray is expected to be ok after pulling up sore with Hamstring awareness during the game against the Crows.

Last time we met – Round 7 at the Gabba with the Lions the victors 13-15-93 to 5-14-44.

Highlights of that game -

We have had a pretty good run of late against Port with wins in 4 of the last five.
1647073824689.png

New Interpretations - It will be interesting to see how the season pans out with the new interpretations to rules with holding the ball and umpire abuse.
1 of our culprits Zorko, hasn’t yet played an official game with the new interpretations so will have to learn to hold his tongue quickly and Mitch Robbo ofcourse.

Pre Season Form The Lions have had 2 wins against Crows and the Bulldogs.
Against the crows it was a low contact hitout but a good game to blow out some cobwebs to get the season underway.
And against the Bulldogs it was a bit more of a physical hit out similar to the intensity of an in season game. And the Lions had a good solid first half and holding on for a win in the second half.

And Port had a slow starting effort against Gold Coast but coming good in the second half but untimately going down in a rusty performance. And a win against Adelaide in windy conditions but similar to the game against GC they were slow out of the blocks but had a good second half to come away with a comfortable win.

As for this year, I think the Lions have come into the year with an extra focus on starting the year off well and are much fitter as a result. Lachie Neale looks back to his best and running better than I have ever seen him this pre-season and with some renewed vigour after off season turmoil and talk of a switch back to Freo. Another full pre-season into Daniher and Cockatoo who looks so much fitter and stronger and all round, Answerth and Berry finally with a good run without injury, the team looks a little leaner and fitter than the beginning of last year and therefore will hopefully hit the ground running and start the season well after a couple of slow starts the last couple of years.

A quick look on the Port Board And according to most they have already lost this game and not many think they stand much of a chance. In fact one thinks that Hipwood will kick 5. HaHaHa.
On that, we are without Hipwood in this game and he does usually play well against Port so we will miss him in this game.
And of course the Sack Hinkley claims have begun.

Now to the game – So with Dixon out I would assume they will play all 3 of Finlayson, Georgiades and Marshall in their forward line, so I think we will have them covered there with our three talls in Harris, Gardiner and Adams but it is at the other end of the ground where it gets interesting with us likely to play Daniher, McStay and a resting ruckman (rotating x 2) and Port missing Clurey there will be a bit of a miss match in height in our forward line and that is where we could take advantage as we usually tend to do against them.
If we can get on top of them in the middle of the ground and get the ball forward quickly then we can take advantage of the miss match up forward and score quickly. And hopefully take Allir’s intercept marking out of the game because he will have to man up on someone.
The midfield battle will be a good one with each team boasting one of the last 2 Brownlow medallists in Neale and Wines, and Lyons and Boak. And then with the support staff of Zorko, Bailey, Berry, McCluggage, Robbo, Rayner, Cockatoo opposed to Butters, SPP, Duursma, Drew, Amon and Rozee. I think we just bat a little deeper in there and should get the better of them as the night roles on.
The other battle that I am keen to see for us is in the Ruck to see how the O’Mac and Fort combo go, Lycett is apparently struggling with a bit of back issue and if he plays, will they bring Hayes in for back up?
In short I think the Lions are primed for this one and are keen to get off to a good start to the season. Cant wait to get back to the Gabba.

Starting 22 for me:
B: Gardiner, Adams, Starcevich
HB: Answerth, Andrews, Rich
C: Robinson, Bailey, McCluggage
HF: Zorko, McStay, McCarthy
F: Cameron, Daniher, Rayner
R: O’Mac, Neale, Lyons
I: Berry, Fort, Cockatoo, Madden
Sub: AhChee (toss up between AhChee and Madden for the 7th defender).

Next in line:
Dev, Prior, Lester, Wilmot (suspended) Sharp, Payne, Fullarton.

Lions by 46 🦁

Odds:
Lions $ 1.51 Port $ 2.58

Enjoy the game and gamble responsibly.

Great write up for our round 1 clash v Port. A little difficult with no true exposed form and player selection for both teams still up in the air
Yesterday i also checked the Port board but only the last page. Surprised by their lack of confidence in their own team.
Usually most supporters are very optimistic about winning in round 1 no matter where you finished the previous year
Port finished 2 games clear of the Lions during the 2021 H & A season so this won't be an easy game to win
Interesting that we kept Port to under 50 points in the last three encounters. Repeat that and we will win the game again
We need to get a good start to this season. We had shock losses in round 1 the previous 2 years to Swans & Hawks
I would like to think it was due to the covid uncertainty but think the boys were just a bit overconfident going into those games
I will settle for a 19 point win over a top 4 side from the previous year as a good result.
However if your 46 points prediction eventuates my stress levels will be in the green zone so that will be great

Great write up for our round 1 clash v Port. A little difficult with no true exposed form and player selection for both teams still up in the air
Yesterday i also checked the Port board but only the last page. Surprised by their lack of confidence in their own team.
Usually most supporters are very optimistic about winning in round 1 no matter where you finished the previous year
Port finished 2 games clear of the Lions during the 2021 H & A season so this won't be an easy game to win
Interesting that we kept Port to under 50 points in the last three encounters. Repeat that and we will win the game again
We need to get a good start to this season. We had shock losses in round 1 the previous 2 years to Swans & Hawks
I would like to think it was due to the covid uncertainty but think the boys were just a bit overconfident going into those games
I will settle for a 19 point win over a top 4 side from the previous year as a good result.
However if your 46 points prediction eventuates my stress levels will be in the green zone so that will be great
I think one of the differences with this year is that we are playing a team that we know can be pretty good.
The last couple, we may have went in a bit cocky and expecting an easy win with where the teams were expected to finish.
So I am hoping we will be up and firing.

Last edited:

View attachment 1343139

Round 1 Preview – Saturday 19 March 7.10 pm(AEST) Gabba

Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide

Footy is back! Will be great to have crowds in Melbourne again and hopefully footy will be back to some form of normality.

Looking forward to the start of another Season full of optimism after the third season in a row with top 4 finishes in 2021 for the Lions. Unfortunately falling out of the finals in dramatic style by 1 point against eventual Grand Final runners up to an umpire aided Western Bulldogs in front of a ropeable Brisbane Crowd at the Gabba, can still remember the boooos at the umpires after the game and I honestly think they were scared to walk from the ground.

Port Adelaide would also be reasonably confident coming into the year with a couple of finals seasons under their belt. Although with a bit of trepidation after a Preliminary Final defeat to the Western Bulldogs where they were smashed through the middle of the ground and effectively all over the park with a bruising 6-9-45 to 17-14-116 defeat.

Injury listsLions will be coming in with only 2 missing from what many consider to be their best 22 with Eric Hipwood (knee) and Kiddy Coleman (hamstring) both unavailable. Dayne Zorko should be available but will be a little under done with an ongoing Achilles issue which hopefully will now be resolved after an op last month.

For Port, Charlie Dixon (ankle) will likely be unavailable, Orazio Fantasia (knee) will also be unavailable after recent surgery. After coming up sore after the game against the Crows last week, Tom Clurey has gone in for surgery and will miss the start of the season. Robbie Gray is expected to be ok after pulling up sore with Hamstring awareness during the game against the Crows.

Last time we met – Round 7 at the Gabba with the Lions the victors 13-15-93 to 5-14-44.

Highlights of that game -

We have had a pretty good run of late against Port with wins in 4 of the last five.
View attachment 1343145

New Interpretations - It will be interesting to see how the season pans out with the new interpretations to rules with holding the ball and umpire abuse.
1 of our culprits Zorko, hasn’t yet played an official game with the new interpretations so will have to learn to hold his tongue quickly and Mitch Robbo ofcourse.

Pre Season Form The Lions have had 2 wins against Crows and the Bulldogs.
Against the crows it was a low contact hitout but a good game to blow out some cobwebs to get the season underway.
And against the Bulldogs it was a bit more of a physical hit out similar to the intensity of an in season game. And the Lions had a good solid first half and holding on for a win in the second half.

And Port had a slow starting effort against Gold Coast but coming good in the second half but untimately going down in a rusty performance. And a win against Adelaide in windy conditions but similar to the game against GC they were slow out of the blocks but had a good second half to come away with a comfortable win.

As for this year, I think the Lions have come into the year with an extra focus on starting the year off well and are much fitter as a result. Lachie Neale looks back to his best and running better than I have ever seen him this pre-season and with some renewed vigour after off season turmoil and talk of a switch back to Freo. Another full pre-season into Daniher and Cockatoo who looks so much fitter and stronger and all round, Answerth and Berry finally with a good run without injury, the team looks a little leaner and fitter than the beginning of last year and therefore will hopefully hit the ground running and start the season well after a couple of slow starts the last couple of years.

A quick look on the Port Board And according to most they have already lost this game and not many think they stand much of a chance. In fact one thinks that Hipwood will kick 5. HaHaHa.
On that, we are without Hipwood in this game and he does usually play well against Port so we will miss him in this game.
And of course the Sack Hinkley claims have begun.

Now to the game – So with Dixon out I would assume they will play all 3 of Finlayson, Georgiades and Marshall in their forward line, so I think we will have them covered there with our three talls in Harris, Gardiner and Adams but it is at the other end of the ground where it gets interesting with us likely to play Daniher, McStay and a resting ruckman (rotating x 2) and Port missing Clurey there will be a bit of a miss match in height in our forward line and that is where we could take advantage as we usually tend to do against them.
If we can get on top of them in the middle of the ground and get the ball forward quickly then we can take advantage of the miss match up forward and score quickly. And hopefully take Allir’s intercept marking out of the game because he will have to man up on someone.
The midfield battle will be a good one with each team boasting one of the last 2 Brownlow medallists in Neale and Wines, and Lyons and Boak. And then with the support staff of Zorko, Bailey, Berry, McCluggage, Robbo, Rayner, Cockatoo opposed to Butters, SPP, Duursma, Drew, Amon and Rozee. I think we just bat a little deeper in there and should get the better of them as the night roles on.
The other battle that I am keen to see for us is in the Ruck to see how the O’Mac and Fort combo go, Lycett is apparently struggling with a bit of back issue and if he plays, will they bring Hayes in for back up?
In short I think the Lions are primed for this one and are keen to get off to a good start to the season. Cant wait to get back to the Gabba.

Starting 22 for me:
B: Gardiner, Adams, Starcevich
HB: Answerth, Andrews, Rich
C: Robinson, Bailey, McCluggage
HF: Zorko, McStay, McCarthy
F: Cameron, Daniher, Rayner
R: O’Mac, Neale, Lyons
I: Berry, Fort, Cockatoo, Madden
Sub: AhChee (toss up between AhChee and Madden for the 7th defender).

Next in line:
Dev, Prior, Lester, Wilmot (suspended) Sharp, Payne, Fullarton.

Lions by 46 🦁

Odds:
Lions $ 1.51 Port $ 2.58

Enjoy the game and gamble responsibly.

I think Robinson will play forward Answerth on the Wing and Zorko in defence to get some run in he’s legs like he did in the pre-season game against our probable team but other than that looks great

I think Robinson will play forward Answerth on the Wing and Zorko in defence to get some run in he’s legs like he did in the pre-season game against our probable team but other than that looks great
There is always a chance that Robbo may not get up at all after his bout of Covid and may not have trained with the group for a bit so there is a chance he may not get back until Round 2. Minor chance maybe.

My goal this year is to just enjoy the home and away season instead of always having one eye on the ladder and treating every game as a must win.

So good to have footy back.

From AFL site
I am Ah Chee > Prior > Madden

brisbane.jpg

James Madden v Callum Ah Chee v Jaxon Prior

The long-term hamstring injury to Keidean Coleman has opened up a hotly contested spot on the half-back line. Madden was exceptional with his closing speed, although a bit problematic with his disposal, against the Western Bulldogs last week before leaving the field with a bruised shin. Prior is the 'like for like' option, playing 18 games last year and improving all the time with his languid kicking style, while Ah Chee is the proven commodity. He's a man who can defend soundly and also use the ball well. Three men with three different skill sets. – Michael Whiting

Build up that rainy day fund for grand final tickets
Funny you should say that
My daughter texted me yesterday about $180 return flights to Melbourne. I assume in September because she mentioned the GF
I said we should go for it if she can get time off work.
She replied she will check it out and get back to me. Have not heard back as yet

From AFL site
I am Ah Chee > Prior > Madden

brisbane.jpg

James Madden v Callum Ah Chee v Jaxon Prior

The long-term hamstring injury to Keidean Coleman has opened up a hotly contested spot on the half-back line. Madden was exceptional with his closing speed, although a bit problematic with his disposal, against the Western Bulldogs last week before leaving the field with a bruised shin. Prior is the 'like for like' option, playing 18 games last year and improving all the time with his languid kicking style, while Ah Chee is the proven commodity. He's a man who can defend soundly and also use the ball well. Three men with three different skill sets. – Michael Whiting
Would like to see Madden get a go. His pace adds a real point of difference to that backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate myself for saying this but I'm expecting us to win easily on our home deck. We've always had their measure, they've got a few injuries and we looked really sharp against the Dogs. Likewise we won't be going in complacent this year.

Sometimes you gotta call it as you see it.

Would like to see Madden get a go. His pace adds a real point of difference to that backline.
I am happy for just one of Answerth or Madden in our back six for round 1. So Answerth for me
However if they both get picked for round 1 that is also fine with me
I just prefer Ah Chee as a steady influence down back v Port in round 1 which is usually a tough game to win for any club
Four more days and we will all know

I wonder if the AFLW Lions v Pies game will be played as a curtain raiser for this game
Makes more sense that playing at Maroochydore

I am happy for just one of Answerth or Madden in our back six for round 1. So Answerth for me
However if they both get picked for round 1 that is also fine with me
I just prefer Ah Chee as a steady influence down back v Port in round 1 which is usually a tough game to win for any club
Four more days and we will all know

I wonder if the AFLW Lions v Pies game will be played as a curtain raiser for this game
Makes more sense that playing at Maroochydore

Agreed. Not to mention Ah Chee is a very good mark. Remember that game where he took something stupid like 8 intercept marks in defence?

Agreed. Not to mention Ah Chee is a very good mark. Remember that game where he took something stupid like 8 intercept marks in defence?
That was against Carlton. Was the best game he has played in Lions colours.
Would be great if we saw that more consistently.

That was against Carlton. Was the best game he has played in Lions colours.
Would be great if we saw that more consistently.

Tbh it's hard for him to show consistency in any one position when he's moved around almost every game. That game against Carlton was at a time where he spent a lot of time down back. He's a unique one in that he could probably be a best 22 forward or back in our team if given the chance, however as we're stacked in both areas he's taken the Lester role as the utility who can play forward and back. He's a best 22 Mr. Fix it only at this stage. At worst he's fantastic depth.

My goal this year is to just enjoy the home and away season instead of always having one eye on the ladder and treating every game as a must win.

So good to have footy back.

Port is a contender. Saturday is a must win if we want to be taken seriously. Must win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back