moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
With the lead up to round one, what are posters favourite round one memories from previous years?

For me, I remember Tony Modra kicking 13 goals 3 points against Carlton in round 1 1994 at Football Park. The game finished Adelaide 22.18.150 to Carlton 13.6.84.

A season which started with so much promise was ultimately a disappointment for Adelaide, finishing 11th, with 9 wins and 1 draw. Carlton, after finishing the minor round 2nd, was knocked out of the finals in straight sets.

Favouite would be whe nwe won the NAb ccup in 2013 and went in to the season ojn a high note thinking finasl weere a slight possibility

we lost to hte doggies by like 10 goals in round one and Vossy got RIP
Never knew Hodge was a Lions fan..

To answer the question, we've been involved in some great round one games this decade.

2011 - 2 point win over Brisbane at the GABBA. From memory McPhee made a critical contest/interception in the middle of the ground with the Lions on the break in the final few seconds. Walters also kicked a ripper with a couple of minutes to go from the boundary in one of his first games.

2012 - 4 point win over reigning premiers Geelong at home. Pav hacks the ball out of mid air for the game winning goal.

2015 - 7 point win over Port. Zac Clarke runs down Jasper Pittard from the kick out to seal the game in the final minutes.

Been a while since we've lost first up actually.

2015: After losing our gun key defender Mackenzie in pre-season we lose our less gun key defender Brown 10 minutes into the season. *, we're going to have a looooong year. Finish 2nd.

2007: Cousins 'absent', Cox a late out, a few others missing. 'Good vs evil' after the 2006 GF thriller. Kerr chases down peanut McVeigh to stop a goal and save another 1 point win. Eat a dick, Robert Walls.

2000: Ran up a cricket score at the MCG and beat the reigning premier Roos. Gee, hiring Ken Judge was a good decision. Wrong!

No other Rd 1 matches for us really stand out. Other than our first ever Rd 1 in 1987, but I was too young for that. From 2008 onwards we've played Brisbane 3 times, Bulldogs 3 times, Freo once and North once. And we've got Brisbane again this year. Not sure WC vs WB/BL is really penciled into too many people's calendars.

Recently, just losing. Whether after the siren vs Bombers or by the third quarter against everyone else.

Oh, I also remember losing to 1996 cellar dwellers and future 1997 wooden spooners Melbourne in Round 1, 1997. I think it was on a Thursday cause I remember missing the match to go to a Law School O Week thing.

Hell of an upset after we'd won the flag. This was the start of Melbourne's 'one year good, one year bad' phase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To answer the question, we've been involved in some great round one games this decade.

2011 - 2 point win over Brisbane at the GABBA. From memory McPhee made a critical contest/interception in the middle of the ground with the Lions on the break in the final few seconds. Walters also kicked a ripper with a couple of minutes to go from the boundary in one of his first games.

2012 - 4 point win over reigning premiers Geelong at home. Pav hacks the ball out of mid air for the game winning goal.

2015 - 7 point win over Port. Zac Clarke runs down Jasper Pittard from the kick out to seal the game in the final minutes.

That 2012 win was insane. That goal Pav got in particular. Hard to believe that was 4 years ago

Freo have had a few Rd 1 crackers in recent year. Last year against Port was a great game.

The year earlier when you annihalated Collingwood in the season opener was brutal.

2011- Against St Kilda a 1 point win after they had out played us most of the game, Jimmy Bartel with the freakish goal from the corner.
This is the match that set us on our way to the 2011 flag.

We had won back to back flags in 1981 and 82 so you can imagine in round 9 of 1983 season as I headed to Arden Street to take on 2nd of ladder North Melbourne I was looking forward to a quality game and after seeing us kick 9 goals in second quarter against Hawks after being 27 points down the week before I was looking forward to some more special football from our boys against a quality side. The anticipation was high. North had likes of Dench, Blight, Glendinning, Gary Dempsey, Keith Greig in those years. Only a few brownlow medallists there lol...and their host of interstate recruits such as Krakouer brothers, Bruce Abernethy, Kym Hodgeman , Phil Kelly and Craig Holden. Not an outfit to be sneezed at on their own turf. I was in for a shock that arvo.
The scoreboard at end of game read this
North Melbourne 29.19.193
Carlton
Not a fun day to see your boys beaten live by 111 points for first time and walk out to the train station after the game. That sticks in your memory forever when it is the last thing you were expecting.
Strange thing was in the same year, which North ended up on top of ladder, by the way, they lost to Fitzroy by 150 points with Bernie Quinlan and running dynamo Micky Conlan kicking 7 goals each and Garry Wilson 4. Matt Rendell kicked 8 and 27 hitouts playing ruck..lol Incredible season of football
Now lets fast forward to round one the next season after both North and Carlton made the finals but ultimately never got the flag that year.
We are playing the same club in round one at Waverley Park after getting such a thumping from them at Arden Street the year before.
Once again I was in for a shock but this time of a much more enjoyable type.
Final Scores
Carlton 31.13.199
North Melbourne
Warren Ralph on debut 9 goals 4 behinds from 11 marks mainly fed on the lead by the Dominator himself, Wayne Johnston, with 32 kicks, 11 handballs, 10 marks, 5 goals and 294 supercoach points.

Those were the days my friends, those were the days....ha ha ha
Only a 248 point turn around in less than a year there.

2002 Port v Roos

After the worst off season in Roo history where we lost our captain and greatest ever player we travelled to SA to face Port with our new Captain - Anthony Stevens.

Roos were massive underdogs taking across a group that included house hold names such as Stewart Cochrane, Shane Clayton, Troy Makepeace, Shannon Watt and John Baird. But lead by Stevens and Archer we caused a massive upset. Port only lost 3 more games for the H&A season.

An amazing round 1 game.

1990 - Flogging the cats by 100+ at Waverley in the much-hyped replay to the greatest GF. It was a really good match for a half but Hawthorn booted 18 goals in a row or something after the break. The brand of footy Hawthorn play in that stanza has to be seen to be believed.

1991 - Getting smashed by debutants Adelaide at Footy Park. 86 points. Totally unexpected. Footy Park was rocking and feral after dermott cleaned up their captain.

Both these matches are on youtube and are worth a look.

One that sticks in my mind is 1990. Fair to say Essendon went out that day to prove a point, in that their rise in 1989 was no fluke.

They hosted Fitzroy at Windy Hill, who had also improved in 1989. Derek Kickett played his first game at the club as did Peter Cransberg.

Essendon would win 20.21.141 to 8.12.60, with Michael Werner kicking 5 and Darren Bewick 4. Greg Anderson got the Brownlow votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back