Prediction Round 1 to 6 Fixture Prediction 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone reckon VIC clubs will be hubbing in the GOld Coast in the first 6 weeks.

Gil alluded to the possibility in the off season.

Why would there be talk of Vic sides hubbing after we’ve gone 45 days with no cases? As much chance as an outbreak in any other state as there is here now.
Your make perfect sense and I don't disagree with your logic.
However, I think Gil (and his team) really enjoyed himself in QLD and has been on record as stating that he hopes the Gold Coast hub will be available in the early rounds.

Here's how I'd do round one.

Thursday night: Richmond vs. Geelong (MCG)
Friday night: Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane (AO)
Saturday: Melbourne vs. GWS (MCG)
Saturday: Gold Coast vs. Essendon (Qld)
Saturday night: St Kilda vs. West Coast (Marvel)
Saturday night: Sydney vs. Hawthorn (SCG)
Sunday: North vs. Adelaide (Tas)
Sunday: Collingwood vs. W. Bulldogs (MCG)
Sunday: Fremantle vs. Carlton (Optus)

Here's how I'd do round one.

Thursday night: Richmond vs. Geelong (MCG)
Friday night: Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane (AO)
Saturday: Melbourne vs. GWS (MCG)
Saturday: Gold Coast vs. Essendon (Qld)
Saturday night: St Kilda vs. West Coast (Marvel)
Saturday night: Sydney vs. Hawthorn (SCG)
Sunday: North vs. Adelaide (Tas)
Sunday: Collingwood vs. W. Bulldogs (MCG)
Sunday: Fremantle vs. Carlton (Optus)
The reason they don’t do grand final rematches in rd 1 is that game will be massive whenever they put it in the first 6 rds. Not point wasting it on rd 1 when the interest is high whatever game is put out there. It’s the same reason rd 1 richmond v Carlton always has a higher attendance compared to their 2nd meeting in the season.

If the AFL had any brains they'd have every Victorian team, plus Lions and Swans, playing in Victoria round 1, of course assuming no more hotel quarantine bungles.

The buzz in Melbourne that weekend would be electric.

Could be done if you used Geelong and also had two games on Monday. For example:

Richmond v Carlton - Thursday MCG

Collingwood v Port - Friday MCG

Geelong v Brisbane - Saturday GMHBA
Haw v Gold Coast - Saturday MCG
WB v WC - Saturday, Docklands

NM v Adel - Sunday, Docklands
Ess v GWS - Sunday, MCG

Melb v Syd - Monday, MCG
StK v Freo - Monday, Marvel

If Carlton can maintain their hold on playing in Richmond's last pre season game, I think Hawthorn can probably keep that slot for a bit longer than a year or two.
You do realise that initially you were the joke, and fans hated seeing you in the game.

Such short memories you Richmond fans have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope (but it won't be), the first 17 rounds are everyone playing each other once and reverse it the following year. Leave round 7 timeslots onwards rolling to maximise blockbuster timeslots for good games. Round 18-22 should probably include a derby reverse round and be decided by ladder positions, so no one gets an easy run home.
I hate these suggestions, it is impossible to gauruntee both an equal fixture to those around you and an 11 home, 11 away game fixture.

It's one or the other.

The reason they don’t do grand final rematches in rd 1 is that game will be massive whenever they put it in the first 6 rds. Not point wasting it on rd 1 when the interest is high whatever game is put out there. It’s the same reason rd 1 richmond v Carlton always has a higher attendance compared to their 2nd meeting in the season.
I wish they go to the NFL method

Premiers open the season, but try and make it a big game to draw in the neutrals as much as possible.

Would I watch Richmond vs Carlton? Maybe as background while I do something else. Would flick at the break and maybe never come back. But give me something good, I watch it fully and follow the coverage at the breaks.

I'd personally kick off the season as Richmond vs Port Adelaide so as many Richmond fans can get in and see the unfurling of the flag, while still providing us with a good game.

Other options include Brisbane and Collingwood. Plus, I wouldn't rule out Geelong. But I do agree that shouldn't be wasted in rd 1.

The only other choice I'd consider is West Coast.

Channel 7 will not want two interstate sides playing on Friday night.
I still remember back to 2017 (as the stat really intrigued me at the time)

The 3 highest rating games on friday nights that year were the tri-series of Adelaide-Sydney-Geelong.

And I come back to my last post - I'd watch a good game. And tune out to trash and just have it on while i play games on the laptop and only look up for scores here and there.

I wish they go to the NFL method

Premiers open the season, but try and make it a big game to draw in the neutrals as much as possible.

Would I watch Richmond vs Carlton? Maybe as background while I do something else. Would flick at the break and maybe never come back. But give me something good, I watch it fully and follow the coverage at the breaks.

I'd personally kick off the season as Richmond vs Port Adelaide so as many Richmond fans can get in and see the unfurling of the flag, while still providing us with a good game.

Other options include Brisbane and Collingwood. Plus, I wouldn't rule out Geelong. But I do agree that shouldn't be wasted in rd 1.

The only other choice I'd consider is West Coast.
It’s Carlton’s home game rd 1 next season so we won’t be unfurling the flags that game. My bet is rd 2 against the pies, must say though you make a good point and it would be good against a port or eagles so you could get as many Richmond fans in the ground as possible. If capacity is around 50% early next year games against Carlton and Collingwood will be harder to get tickets for than grand finals.

realistically and business wise you're totally correct.....but in the pure sport romantic way I'd love if the season always opened with the GF re-match

You do realise that initially you were the joke, and fans hated seeing you in the game.

Such short memories you Richmond fans have.

Fans might have, but for the AFL is was always Richmond Vs who.

It was Richmond Collingwood for a few years before Carlton got the gig.

ROUND ONE

Thursday, March 18

Carlton vs. Richmond (MCG) (N) 7

Friday, March 19
Geelong Cats vs. Western Bulldogs (GMHBA Stadium) (N) 7

Saturday, March 20
Hawthorn vs. West Coast Eagles (MCG)
GWS Giants vs. St Kilda (Giants Stadium) (T)
Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood (The Gabba) (N) 7
Port Adelaide vs. Essendon (Adelaide Oval) (N)

Sunday, March 21
North Melbourne vs. Adelaide Crows (Marvel Stadium)
Melbourne vs. Sydney (MCG) (T) 7
Fremantle vs. Gold Coast Suns (Optus Stadium) (N)

Heres what I think round 1 and 2 will look like

Thursday March 18th
Carlton vs Richmond (MCG) CH7, Fox

Friday March 19th
Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs (MCG) CH7, Fox

Saturday March 20th
Melbourne vs Adelaide (MCG) Fox
Port Adelaide vs Geelong (AO) Fox
Brisbane vs St Kilda (Gabba) CH7, Fox
GWS vs Essendon (GIANTS) Fox

Sunday March 21st
North vs Gold Coast (Marvel) Fox
Hawthorn vs Fremantle (MCG) CH7, Fox
West Coast vs Sydney (Optus) Fox

Round 2

Thursday March 25th
Richmond vs Collingwood (MCG) CH7, Fox

Friday March 26th
Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda (Marvel) CH7, Fox

Saturday March 27th
GWS vs Brisbane (GIANTS) Fox
Melbourne vs Carlton (MCG) Fox
North vs Adelaide (Marvel) Fox
West Coast vs Geelong (Optus) CH7, Fox

Sunday March 28th
Hawthorn vs Gold Coast (Marvel) Fox
Port Adelaide vs Essendon (AO) CH7, Fox
Fremantle vs Sydney (Optus) Fox

It’s Carlton’s home game rd 1 next season so we won’t be unfurling the flags that game. My bet is rd 2 against the pies, must say though you make a good point and it would be good against a port or eagles so you could get as many Richmond fans in the ground as possible. If capacity is around 50% early next year games against Carlton and Collingwood will be harder to get tickets for than grand finals.
The Richmond home game might get pushed back a year seeing as there was no crowds this year. Collingwood are hosting Essendon on ANZAC Day this year (even though we hosted them in the ‘ANZAC game’ this year) but that’s a little different because that’s an actual public holiday game which wasn’t played on ANZAC day this year.

My Round 1 Prediction is
Carlton v Richmond, Thursday (MCG)
Collingwood v Geelong, Friday (MCG)
Melbourne v Essendon, Saturday (MCG)
GWS v Adelaide, Saturday T (Spotless)
Brisbane v St Kilda, Saturday N (Gabba)
Port Adelaide v Gold Coast, Saturday N (Adelaide Oval)
North Melbourne v Fremantle, Sunday (Marvel)
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, Sunday (MCG)
West Coast v Sydney, Sunday (Optus)

Heres what I think round 1 and 2 will look like

Thursday March 18th
Carlton vs Richmond (MCG) CH7, Fox

Friday March 19th
Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs (MCG) CH7, Fox

Saturday March 20th
Melbourne vs Adelaide (MCG) Fox
Port Adelaide vs Geelong (AO) Fox
Brisbane vs St Kilda (Gabba) CH7, Fox
GWS vs Essendon (GIANTS) Fox

Sunday March 21st
North vs Gold Coast (Marvel) Fox
Hawthorn vs Fremantle (MCG) CH7, Fox
West Coast vs Sydney (Optus) Fox

Round 2

Thursday March 25th
Richmond vs Collingwood (MCG) CH7, Fox

Friday March 26th
Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda (Marvel) CH7, Fox

Saturday March 27th
GWS vs Brisbane (GIANTS) Fox
Melbourne vs Carlton (MCG) Fox
North vs Adelaide (Marvel) Fox
West Coast vs Geelong (Optus) CH7, Fox

Sunday March 28th
Hawthorn vs Gold Coast (Marvel) Fox
Port Adelaide vs Essendon (AO) CH7, Fox
Fremantle vs Sydney (Optus) Fox
Essendon won’t be on the road 2 weeks in a row with an expected Easter Thursday night game at the Gabba against the Lions with the 20 year anniversary of the 2001 GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back