Preview Round 10 v Brisbane GABBA Saturday May 18th 7.30pm - Sir Doug Nicholls Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
he was good for a quarter and 10min into the last and then Daniel took him apart with explosive speed. KMAC in the guts at senior level will be a massive liability as he's just a plodder now .
Spot on. Daniel had him blowing like a humpback whale

200.gif

Tom Derickx is the answer to everything.
How good was he at Sydney

Last edited:
Watch us kick the ball down Harris Andrews' throat all night and make him look like a champion.

Any team that has a half decent intercept mark we seem to target more than our own forwards. It's been happening all season and for years before that. Lower the eyes and hit up forwards who lead please !

Watch us kick the ball down Harris Andrews' throat all night and make him look like a champion.

Any team that has a half decent intercept mark we seem to target more than our own forwards. It's been happening all season and for years before that. Lower the eyes and hit up forwards who lead please !
Should just torp it in each time

Should just torp it in each time
May as well - I reckon the chance of it being picked up by one of our forwards would be equal to that of a high drop punt kicked to a 2 on 1 like is so often the case into the forward 50. I’d love to see the odd torp, floater or chaos ground ball get delivered deliberately into our forward 50 at times. Would Keep the oppos guessing and reduce the painful predictability we are playing with at present

With his spring he has the ability to play taller than his height, but as you say he is not a big overehead mark type like Lynch is for example. But he is just learning the key forward caper, and taking the best backman, which will not happen if Lynch plays. Has surprised me with some of his marking on good opponents, last week he had a case of the fumbles, but generally the marks have stuck.

The other thing is, he hurts people. Even last week he left a few with some good fair body shots, this will upset backs as once they have played on him they will know what to expect. Might make some backs think twice around him. Next season, he, Lynch, Balta, Gibcus, Young and Miller form a young but pretty exciting group of talls.
Lynch and Lefau will be our verison of the bash brothers.

The Mighty Ducks Fist Bump GIF

Game has changed again
Just how back in the day 185 was considered plenty for a chf

Key position defenders are pushing the 200cm mark and beyond so it’s a lot more difficult for the guys in the mid to lower 195 range to impact

Lefau isn’t a big overhead mark type either if you compare him to the others in that lower range who play as key forwards
I think Jack Riewoldt would argue he had a reasonable career at the same height.

I think Jack Riewoldt would argue he had a reasonable career at the same height.
He also had an amazing leap and overhead mark ability that I mentioned in my post once he lost that ability his output dropped

Was also drafted 15 years ago, if Jack was drafted today I don’t think he would of had the same career he did just like how overall goals kicked each season was a lot lower in his “prime” years compared to his earlier ones
It’s the time I’m talking about where much bigger key position forwards and backs came into vogue
You can see the clear trend shifts towards bigger players in this graph comparing 2008 to 2024 IMG_0766.jpeg IMG_0767.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also had an amazing leap and overhead mark ability that I mentioned in my post once he lost that ability his output dropped

Was also drafted 15 years ago, if Jack was drafted today I don’t think he would of had the same career he did just like how overall goals kicked each season was a lot lower in his “prime” years compared to his earlier ones
It’s the time I’m talking about where much bigger key position forwards and backs came into vogue
You can see the clear trend shifts towards bigger players in this graph comparing 2008 to 2024View attachment 1991317View attachment 1991318

I'm not saying you are wrong as a general observation, but we can get a bit caught up in trying to have a certain "type" of player and miss the fact they have the talent and abilities to be good player.
Just have a look at Richmond's all time leading goal kicker, he wouldn't have been considered a full forward size at that time either, but the guy Skinny was just exceptional.
And a couple of things, yes Jack's output may have dropped, but he learnt to sacrifice just being the main forward and kick all the goals to being more team oriented and bring the ball to ground for our small forwards.
Also, I think if you made a graph of the height of the general population you would find we are general taller now than in the past, so it would generally follow and probably be more exacerbated in the AFL that players will be taller now. Doesn't mean we should ignore a player that doesn't quite fit that mould.
I think Lefau can very much play a similar role to Jack while we don't have Lynch and look for a long term replacement for him. Lefau has that same ability to compete above his height that Jack could and at least give the smaller players a chance at ground level. He doesn't have the background though and desperately needs help around him, but should only improve with experience he's getting now.

I'm not saying you are wrong as a general observation, but we can get a bit caught up in trying to have a certain "type" of player and miss the fact they have the talent and abilities to be good player.
Just have a look at Richmond's all time leading goal kicker, he wouldn't have been considered a full forward size at that time either, but the guy Skinny was just exceptional.
And a couple of things, yes Jack's output may have dropped, but he learnt to sacrifice just being the main forward and kick all the goals to being more team oriented and bring the ball to ground for our small forwards.
Also, I think if you made a graph of the height of the general population you would find we are general taller now than in the past, so it would generally follow and probably be more exacerbated in the AFL that players will be taller now. Doesn't mean we should ignore a player that doesn't quite fit that mould.
I think Lefau can very much play a similar role to Jack while we don't have Lynch and look for a long term replacement for him. Lefau has that same ability to compete above his height that Jack could and at least give the smaller players a chance at ground level. He doesn't have the background though and desperately needs help around him, but should only improve with experience he's getting now.
But that’s not really addressing what I was saying

I never said Lefau won’t be a great player or that we shouldn’t play him, just that due to his height and the way he plays he wouldn’t be seen as a “true” key position forward or the number one guy due due to the size of key position backs in todays game

It would be like trying to argue Dunstall could at 188cm would of been able to go against guys around the 195 - 200 odd hight that Jack went against

Even Curnow who is probably the best forward in the game right now at 194 would struggle without tue bigger bodies of McKay to take the main key position back of the opposition side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back