Preview Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG - Sunday 26th May, 3.20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling Collard has a better attitude and works harder than a few here think and is liked by the coaches.

Absolutely agree his game on the weekend didn't appear to warrant another this week.
Spot on. I think he is just not ready for senior football, but there are not a lot of options for small forwards currently. The bigger challenge is whether he wants to go home to WA. I’m confident he will make it after a few preseasons.

Yes it's brand new- like yesterday new.

In fact it's so new- it doesn't even exist (yet).

The AFL have (yesterday) strongly flagged they want to bring it in after this season.

I think it should be structured to replace priority picks rather than allow dominant clubs to remain dominant for longer.

Bottom 3 or 4 clubs should be allowed to apply to buy a priority pick directly from the AFL if they can prove they

A - have sufficent salary cap space and

B - have been unable to attract free agents or trade targets even with OTT offers.

Buy a priority pick but get less salary cap for the next three years.

I was looking up what Geelong paid for Jeremy Cameron this morning and ran into what we paid for Hill. Draft Guru had the trades valued at St Kilda gave up 2538 points.....received 395 post value back.

If you want to make your list worse sell low and buy high. Howard, Snags and plenty of others as well.Just not making dumb decisions is the first thing we need to tighten up.

Just getting Caleb Serong in would have been a massive leg up. Hit Peracca or Shai Bolton or any of the other misses and we'd be miles ahead.
Petracca was the one

I think it should be structured to replace priority picks rather than allow dominant clubs to remain dominant for longer.

Bottom 3 or 4 clubs should be allowed to apply to buy a priority pick directly from the AFL if they can prove they

B - have been unable to attract free agents or trade targets even with OTT offers.

That would be a stupid model because it draws more spots out of an already compromised draft.

I think clubs with good lists that they want to keep together can sell off picks for space so that they can retain players for now. It means that clubs that are dominant can't stay up for ever because they sell off their future for the now. Bottom clubs buy a better future and don't end up paying 95% of the cap to a bunch of GOPs who then get unrealistic expectations of their worth.

How many dominant/flag contending clubs have heaps of spare cap space?

None.

It wasn't spare cap space that allows the likes of the tigers, cats to sign tom lynch, jeremy cameron etc while they were up contending for a flag.

Their caps were maxed out.
They were able to do it by offering very long back loaded contracts.

The top/contending clubs wont be able to cash their 'spare' cap space in for extra draft picks- because they don't/won't have any.

The accounting trickery they have used to sign RFA's and high paid stars while already having flag winning lists full of high paid stars wont be available to buy extra picks with.

Last edited:
Petracca was the one

We have about 50 of them where the player straight after our pick ended up a gun. Even King we would have had Rozee if Lethlean hadn't overruled the paid recruiter and taken King. We could have done the deal Essendon did for Peter Wright instead and had 2 better players.

I think we need to accept that he's more Joe Daniher than Plugger. He's probably going to be a very good forward but will frustrate as much as he delights.

I think that's the realisation unless things turn quickly, but it would be nice to be delighted at least once in this fast disappearing season by the porcelain giraffe. Ironically the peahearts amoungst our supporter base have turned on the coach only after 30 games but Max seems to get a free pass for constantly dispointing, he's a big part of why our forward performs so badly.

He at least performed better than what Collard got selected off the week before.... our standards for selection have gotten very low.

But on a serious note, the VFL review highlighted his running power so that must be what has gotten him selected. We want another runner for the wider spaces and despite his large flaws as a player, he is the best runner who played at Sandy.
FMD - They named Byrnes on the wing and then goes from named to and emergency in a day, they really do have no idea what they are doing

I think that's the realisation unless things turn quickly, but it would be nice to be delighted at least once in this fast disappearing season by the porcelain giraffe. Ironically the peahearts amoungst our supporter base have turned on the coach only after 30 games but Max seems to get a free pass for constantly dispointing, he's a big part of why our forward performs so badly.

I think it's just the season from hell to be honest. King's had injury suspension and lack of continuity and every player on the list apart from Marshall has gone backwards. Steele was good early but fell away once he got injured. Our midfield and forward line have been decimated and our thin depth has been exposed.

I think it will turn at some point. I reckon we are almost due for a win tomorrow, they have a way of pulling you back into the abyss just when you're ready to walk away.

The AFL have (yesterday) strongly flagged they want to bring it in after this season.

The pick purchasing concept is one of the better ideas about equalisation I've heard in a very long time. The idea of rebuilding clubs being forced to spend money has always struck me as obscured.

I think Byrnes would know exactly where he stood. I refuse to believe any of our players learn about their selection by reading it on the AFL website.

I think it's just the season from hell to be honest. King's had injury suspension and lack of continuity and every player on the list apart from Marshall has gone backwards. Steele was good early but fell away once he got injured. Our midfield and forward line have been decimated and our thin depth has been exposed.

I think it will turn at some point. I reckon we are almost due for a win tomorrow, they have a way of pulling you back into the abyss just when you're ready to walk away.
I tend to agree however thus far in King's career there always seems to be an excuse.

What I'm fearful of with Max is he has the same mental fragility Billings has and will never be that type of player who steps up in a game when the opposition is strong-arming us. That's really the one thing you expect more than anything from players who are meant to be labelled champions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree however thus far in King's career there always seems to be an excuse.

What I'm fearful of with Max is he has the same mental fragility Billings has and will never be that type of player who steps up in a game when the opposition is strong-arming us. That's really the one thing you expect more than anything from players who are meant to be labelled champions.

He's tracking so much like Daniher. Hope, disappointment, injury, anger....then he left and went somewhere with no pressure and made himself a career.

I sometime wonder if he would be better off at GC and we swap him for Luko and a mid or something. They get the bros together in a low stress environment and we get a couple of good pieces to set ourselves up. Hammer can develop into a power forward. Luko as a lead up running forward like Rooey.

I think Byrnes would know exactly where he stood. I refuse to believe any of our players learn about their selection by reading it on the AFL website.
You have really missed the point , 1 - It was on the saints own website he was named not some random facebook page and 2 the point I'm making is if they weren't sure if he was going to make the team name then him as an emergency not starting on the wing and then dump him completely.
3, He should never have even been named in the squad in the first place , his game on the weekend didn't deserve a call up

It’s possibly the worst idea I have ever heard. It’s almost formalising Carlton’s history of brown paper bags under the table. Here you go little club, have a draft pick and we will use your money to purchase a premiership. AFL could get about as unpredictable as to who wins as the EPL.

I was looking up what Geelong paid for Jeremy Cameron this morning and ran into what we paid for Hill. Draft Guru had the trades valued at St Kilda gave up 2538 points.....received 395 post value back.

If you want to make your list worse sell low and buy high. Howard, Snags and plenty of others as well.Just not making dumb decisions is the first thing we need to tighten up.

Just getting Caleb Serong in would have been a massive leg up. Hit Peracca or Shai Bolton or any of the other misses and we'd be miles ahead.
What did they pay for Cameron?

Much better idea. Which is why it won’t happen! 🤣

How many dominant/flag contending clubs have heaps of spare cap space?

None.

It wasn't spare cap space that allows the likes of the tigers, cats to sign tom lynch, jeremy cameron etc while they were up contending for a flag.

Their caps were maxed out.
They were able to do it by offering very long back loaded contracts.

The top/contending clubs wont be able to cash their 'spare' cap space in for extra draft picks- because they don't/won't have any.

The accounting trickery they have used to sign RFA's and high paid stars while already having flag winning lists full of high paid stars wont be available to buy extra picks with.
Not to mention jobs for the family and post career for the player.

FMD - They named Byrnes on the wing and then goes from named to and emergency in a day, they really do have no idea what they are doing
I heard they dropped him after you rang the club and said if they didn’t you would bomb RSEA Park. Or run through reception starkers.

The latter in particular scared the living crap out of them 😱

You have really missed the point , 1 - It was on the saints own website he was named not some random facebook page and 2 the point I'm making is if they weren't sure if he was going to make the team name then him as an emergency not starting on the wing and then dump him completely.
3, He should never have even been named in the squad in the first place , his game on the weekend didn't deserve a call up
I get it skip.

Anyone who wants to be outraged by this is fully entitled to feel that way for the reasons you have listed.

I'm just not buying the line that Ryan Byrnes is badly upset by it. If anything, he would have seen his name in the team and had a laugh and wondered who hecked that up, because he always knew where he was playing.

Anyway...

1716601071197.jpeg

What did they pay for Cameron?

15, 18 and 25 or something like that. Geelong playing funny buggers with GC. Got a future first from GC for pick 24. Used a lot of compensation from the Tim Kelly trade to get him in the end though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back