Preview Round 11 Changes v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Emmett has lots of moments where he has his hands on opportunity like Indiana Jones at the start of Raiders of the Lost Ark, time slows and he is about to swap the idol for the bag of sand - then either he miss fills the bag and bites off more than he can chew or he gets away with it and it creates a score for us.

Personally, I don't want small forwards in a position to have to win a one on one for us to progress the ball forward into a scoring position. The best in the league, a while ago to be fair, were winning contests at a 33% rate. If we are relying on Emmett to be winning half of his chances/moments at half forward to score our ball movement is going to break down.

There will be times that an individual performance in a moment creates a chance which wins us games, and I think Emmett has it in him because I've seen it multiple times where he breaks through the tackle and handballs to the loose who is now in range or can hit a leading forward one on one because we didn't have a stoppage letting defenders zone back.

But I don't want our scoring plan to be dependent on our small forwards. I want them hitting the front of the pack. I want our ball movement to rely on Treacy, Jackson, Amiss (to a lesser extent because I want him inside fifty).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Kreuger, Charlie Dean and Ash Johnson (all talls) travelled for Collingwood. It may mean Brody Mihocek is iffy.

I love the big guy, he's a jet, but why do i have concerns he'll slow us down too much against Collingwood?
I don’t know, he is not playing a Marshall type ruckman. He is playing against the Collingwood ruck which are also not quick or get large possession numbers. Plus we have Jackson.

I welcome back Darcy’s marking ability around the ground, especially as no other player seems capable of taking a contested mark from our kick in after a behind is scored.

Treacy takes a few defensive side of wing.
Watched a replay of the Dogs game last night. Hope Darcy is a bit fitter than he was then. Appeared to be limping from Q1 and was generally fairly useless.
As an aside I thought O’Meara was very good, especially with his organisation of team mates around ball ups.
Walters much better than I remembered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back