Preview Round 11: Sir Doug Nicholls Round, Dreamtime at the G - Richmond Tigers vs Essendon Bombers, Saturday, 25th May, 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah these changes. Only difference is I think Hibd ranks just above Tsatas so would have him start.
I don't want Tsatas as sub. Full game at either level.

While I think resting Goldstein is the right move I reckon he will play as is the Dreamtime game and he wants to experience it.

Give him the rest next week
Think it’s more important Goldy plays the following week against Witts. He’s a good ruckman and can set Anderson, Rowell and Miller up with plenty of clearances.

Goldy with a second ruckman is obvious, depending on score you still have the sub [rest] option.
After 20 years carrying a whole club, think he's taking his Essendon experience as a walk in the park.
Last week was hard yards but was instrumental when it counted.

In: Ridley, Cox and Caddy

Out: Jones, Shiel and Hobbs

Ridley McKay McGrath
Redman Laverde Martin
Cox Merrett Perkins
Langford Caddy Gresham
Stringer Wright Davey

Goldstein Durham Caldwell

Heppell, Tsatas, Guelfi, Kelly

Sub: Hind
Davey ? what's the obviuos.

I love the Dreamtime game, however, we're a professional football club. I don't like the idea of just giving games to players because they're Aboriginal. Gresham is the only one who really deserves on output IMO. Davey is still developing and could continue to do that at either level.

I get that people would frown if we had no indigenous representation, and rightly so, but that frown should then be on recruiting and/or development coaches for not having anyone who's AFL ready. For indigenous players, the game itself should really be being used as a carrot to attract players or to motivate their focus on development.

I'm not into gifting the game for the sake of appearances.

I don't know that Tex has earned the vest...?
i think of it the other way - no one earns the vest, you deserve the vest, for being useless or expendable

As of right now, we're good enough to have 'danger games'. This is a danger game. It feels inevitable that a success starved team will flirt with its new found form, sometime during the season. Please, not this week.
think that was last week more than this week. perfect storm of things happening - north’s grand final, desperate for a win vs an enemy who doesn’t care about them, running on good form with the media gassing us up.

winning that game may have represented our biggest success. if history is anything but consistent, we’d have lost it, but we didn’t.

we’re certainly not out of the woodworks yet but we’re in a good position

As of right now, we're good enough to have 'danger games'. This is a danger game. It feels inevitable that a success starved team will flirt with its new found form, sometime during the season. Please, not this week.
Tigers just have not got the players atm.

Don't see this as a danger game at all post first 10 minutes IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was nervous last week.. and the first quarter was pretty much as expected. We then really only played 30 minutes of good football and coasted to an easy 40pt win.

This week is another statement game because it should be a demolition. This should be a real chance to put our names up in the big lights as a true finals team. Tigers have got nothing left in reserve.. we have had slim pickings a couple of times (2008 was a good example - but we got crushed back end of 2013 too) and in the modern game it just is a bridge too far.

If we rock up to play hungry.. then this should be a really good chance to get our % on track for where it needs to be. I don't think we will maintain top 4.. I think (as usual) there will be teams vying.. and we now have several teams on the 'draw' total.. so % will still matter. Gotta feast at some point.

I wouldn't be dropping Davey but not because of the Aboriginal connection but rather we are starting to see the development.. 2 goals in last 2 games and still putting ok pressure act numbers. I think we need to keep pumping games into him and hope he takes the next step.

think that was last week more than this week. perfect storm of things happening - north’s grand final, desperate for a win vs an enemy who doesn’t care about them, running on good form with the media gassing us up.

winning that game may have represented our biggest success. if history is anything but consistent, we’d have lost it, but we didn’t.

we’re certainly not out of the woodworks yet but we’re in a good position
Get through this one and I'll be agreeing with you.

Have been seeing Norf and Richmond as a package deal.. if we don't stumble across either one we are in good shape and can just look forward to belting the Suns and the Blues.

I would drop all of Shiel, Hobbs and Tsatas in front of Davey. In that order.

Totally agree.

If both Cox and Rids come back in, I do think we should drop/rest one of Lav/Kelly/Hep. I know Cox has been playing more wing but he’s still floating back.

I also wonder if Reid is half a chance. Maybe not this week given our W streak, but it’s pretty clear he’s in our best 22.

Totally agree.

If both Cox and Rids come back in, I do think we should drop/rest one of Lav/Kelly/Hep. I know Cox has been playing more wing but he’s still floating back.

I also wonder if Reid is half a chance. Maybe not this week given our W streak, but it’s pretty clear he’s in our best 22.

Be interesting how they see the Laverde vs Reid debate and whether its complicated by Ridley and maybe even Cox being in the side

Clearly favoured Reid over Lav heading into the season but i think sitting 2nd and with Lav going pretty well they will be hesitant to make that call until form shifts

Also think our fans may be getting ahead of ourselves a little bit of how good/not good we are, so i suspect a loss is only around the corner and changes will be made

Be interesting how they see the Laverde vs Reid debate and whether its complicated by Ridley and maybe even Cox being in the side

Clearly favoured Reid over Lav heading into the season but i think sitting 2nd and with Lav going pretty well they will be hesitant to make that call until form shifts

Also think our fans may be getting ahead of ourselves a little bit of how good/not good we are, so i suspect a loss is only around the corner and changes will be made

Yeah it's an interesting one.

Gut feel is going into the season, the preference was McKay + Reid with Ridley.

Then Ridley was out, Cox got that spot.
Then Reid was out, Laverde got that spot.

Now Cox is basically undroppable. But you need to get Ridley in.

If Reid ever gets back in, I don't think there's any chance Laverde is still in the side in that situation. But I could see a world where he stays if it's just Ridley. Who goes out in that situation, no idea - I guess we'll find out in about 4 hours time. But there's enough flexibility for a few magnets to be thrown around that it doesn't necessarily have to be a like for like.

I would drop all of Shiel, Hobbs and Tsatas in front of Davey. In that order.
Well we dont have a forward really ready to come in

With a shuffle or like for like only really H.Jones, Hobbs, Menzie, Tex could replace

HJ - Suspended
Menzie, Hobbs and Tex - out of form

I do find the Nic Martin to forward interesting, do they see that as anything more than an in game lever, it from memory has worked very well both times though

Yeah it's an interesting one.

Gut feel is going into the season, the preference was McKay + Reid with Ridley.

Then Ridley was out, Cox got that spot.
Then Reid was out, Laverde got that spot.

Now Cox is basically undroppable. But you need to get Ridley in.

If Reid ever gets back in, I don't think there's any chance Laverde is still in the side in that situation. But I could see a world where he stays if it's just Ridley. Who goes out in that situation, no idea - I guess we'll find out in about 4 hours time. But there's enough flexibility for a few magnets to be thrown around that it doesn't necessarily have to be a like for like.
Id be extremely surprised if Laverde is dropped this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back