Preview Round 10 - Dreamtime at the G - Essendon FC vs Richmond FC - Saturday 20th May 7:40

How badly will they spank us?

• Gently.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Like a politician's dominatrix.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Shut up, idiot, we will rise above!

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad Baldwin kept his spot. Hopefully he gets a run of games and really takes his chance. Thought he was good last week just slightly off AFL pace.

Phillips lucky. Probably the fact Nank is playing and could be damp saved him.

Menzie lucky too but a bit more composure could be something.

Injuries and depth dictating lack of changes.

In fairness, with Setterfield and Parish out they are gonna get a tonne of midfield minutes.
Probably but could've put... like Merrett and Shiel, or Shiel and Caldwell on the team sheet, who will also get a tonne of midfield minutes.

I wonder if it's some sort of reward for a young player, or maybe an in-joke or something

Have we pigeon holed ADJ as a forward? I'd like to see him half back / wing a little more, when I watched him as a junior granted only a few games he seemed more involved when he had runs on ball.

Yeah agreed.

Best version of him I think is peak Lovett (who, on-field, is underrated in memory).
Using pace and skills up the ground, but can still kick a goal. Just not necessarily natural crumbing goals deep forward week after week.

Nankervis in is against us so Stringer will need some help to keep us in the game.
We have this sudden superstar in Langford playing, why not put him in the middle with the instruction ' you're built like a brick shithouse run amok'
The most under performed player I've seen. He should be an elite mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One teenager dropped the only change after a month of losses, coming off a 7 goal loss. Lame

Who exactly should we have brought in?

Couple of sideways Bryan for Phillips or Wanganeen for Menzie type moves were the only real options.

And hard to figure that after losing comfortably to Brisbane in Brisbane due to Phillips and Menzie, without really in form replacements, is really going to stamp how strong and proud of a club we are just because we can say we made 3 changes instead of 1.

Apologies, don’t mean to be picking on you/singling you out, but the comments of “Why would we do this?” in any context without actually offering a logical suggestion of what we should’ve done really reminds me of the classic “Just kick the thing! Oh who was that to?!”

Who exactly should we have brought in?

Couple of sideways Bryan for Phillips or Wanganeen for Menzie type moves were the only real options.

And hard to figure that after losing comfortably to Brisbane in Brisbane due to Phillips and Menzie, without really in form replacements, is really going to stamp how strong and proud of a club we are just because we can say we made 3 changes instead of 1.

Apologies, don’t mean to be picking on you/singling you out, but the comments of “Why would we do this?” in any context without actually offering a logical suggestion of what we should’ve done really reminds me of the classic “Just kick the thing! Oh who was that to?!”
Phillips for Byran isn't sideways as we need to start seeing what our list has. 21 year old ruckman vs 30 year old battling for form journeyman. A lot of projects and potential on our list and we ain't winning any finals this year so let's see what some of these players have to offer. Particularly when we are 1.losing anyway 2. Players ahead aren't performing to a AFL standard anyway

It's also about building standards - Menzies, Hind, Phillips have been woeful for a few weeks so give someone else a go Menzies is young but hind and Phillips aren't.

Phillips for Byran isn't sideways as we need to start seeing what our list has. 21 year old ruckman vs 30 year old battling for form journeyman. A lot of projects and potential on our list and we ain't winning any finals this year so let's see what some of these players have to offer. Particularly when we are 1.losing anyway 2. Players ahead aren't performing to a AFL standard anyway

It's also about building standards - Menzies, Hind, Phillips have been woeful for a few weeks so give someone else a go Menzies is young but hind and Phillips aren't.

Don’t disagree, I would have had no problem with Bryan playing over Philips this week, or in any of the past 2 weeks. So I agree with the first half of your post there.

But standards works two ways. There’s the “this guy deserves a game, we need to bring him in” or more what you’re suggesting is “This guy isn’t good enough, I don’t care who plays, just not him”. I don’t want hind in the team either, but the fact is we’ve been ravaged by injury in certain areas and don’t have either 1) any in form replacements in the vfl or 2) any replacements at all period for certain positions. Bringing guys in who don’t deserve it sets as much of a “standard” as not dropping guys who possibly deserve it.

Now you could make the exact same argue for Mass staying in over Hind as the Bryan/Phillips argument, and that would be fine. But that would still mean “only 1 change after a big loss”.
Just more saying comments like that are just thrown out there, and not considering the full picture.
Even if we did also change Phillips and Bryan this week, by no means do i think that sends a message we’re a club who won’t stand for that sort of performance by only 20 of the guys from last weekend running out there than 21. There’s a lot more that goes into it than that.

Don’t disagree, I would have had no problem with Bryan playing over Philips this week, or in any of the past 2 weeks. So I agree with the first half of your post there.

But standards works two ways. There’s the “this guy deserves a game, we need to bring him in” or more what you’re suggesting is “This guy isn’t good enough, I don’t care who plays, just not him”. I don’t want hind in the team either, but the fact is we’ve been ravaged by injury in certain areas and don’t have either 1) any in form replacements in the vfl or 2) any replacements at all period for certain positions. Bringing guys in who don’t deserve it sets as much of a “standard” as not dropping guys who possibly deserve it.

Now you could make the exact same argue for Mass staying in over Hind as the Bryan/Phillips argument, and that would be fine. But that would still mean “only 1 change after a big loss”.
Just more saying comments like that are just thrown out there, and not considering the full picture.
Even if we did also change Phillips and Bryan this week, by no means do i think that sends a message we’re a club who won’t stand for that sort of performance by only 20 of the guys from last weekend running out there than 21. There’s a lot more that goes into it than that.
We do have replacements in certain positions, that we could see if up to AFL standard. I think a lot of it goes back to a poor overall list mgmt approach.

They may not be the first choice replacements but we are losing, a developing list, decimated by injuries so I'm not sure what we lose by giving 1 or 2 more players a crack here and there to see if they are worthy of a spot on a AFL list.

Particularly when we know the players they would be replacing are below average AFL footballers and out of form, so try 1 or two more players is all I'm asking.

Think we can all agree our list is below average but has potential to build into something, so let's test the potential. You are probably right and we may find that once again dodo proves he can't put together a good list and lots of the blokes on the list are not AFL standard or worthy of a game. But let's find out rather than just blaming injuries and not trying a few things different.

Anyway back to the game. Who is most likely to have a game out of the box and get us a win?

Langford has been the one so far this year but think teams are expecting it now.
Weideman play his 1 in 10 really good game?
Stringer?

Love one of the younger players to step up under the big lights and get a best on even if we lose. I think we need one of Martin, Perkins or Hobbs to kick 3-or 4 and have some influence in the mid to win.

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Parish, Wright, Kelly, D'Ambrosio, Laverde, Guelfi, Hurley, Reid
ESSENDON INS: Langford, Davey Jnr, Weideman, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Hobbs, Baldwin, Phillips

RICHMOND OUTS: Lynch, Cumberland, Edwards, Miller, Sonsie, Gibcus, M. Rioli, Tarrant, Castagna
RICHMOND INS: Grimes, Taranto, Mansell, Graham, Ryan, Martin, Ralphsmith, Dow

With Setterfield out now it seems to swing this game into a sure Richmond win.
It's a shame as our injuries are starting to mount up
I agree with all of this.
Also, I think we are slowly evolving from a team that has to bottom out for the top end draft picks and turn over an decrepit list. We need to start building some kind of winning mentality.
If we were playing many young players at once to get game time into them, it correlates to a sure game loss. Something that also detracts from anyone 24 and older learning about fighting to win.

Big opportunities for Caldwell and Perkins here. If they are going to be the players a lot expect them to be then they get a real chance to stand up and take a step.

The main 4 running through the middle I assume now will be Merrett, Shiel (geez, thank god his ankle is okay), Caldwell and Hobbs. Perkins probably 5th and Stringer for centre bounces.

But definitely, the next few weeks will be interesting to watch particularly for that Caldwell, Hobbs, Perkins group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back