Game Day Round 11 vs. Fremantle, OS, 8:10pm Friday 24/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parker is playing earlier than expected, but it's not a surprise he's playing ahead of younger recruits. He's 21 yo not 18-19.

Similar to Hawks when they were competing, we aren't too keen on playing teenagers. This is why our mature recruits are more likely to get a game. The younger players have mostly had to wait.

Parker is playing earlier than expected, but it's not a surprise he's playing ahead of younger recruits. He's 21 yo not 18-19.

Similar to Hawks when they were competing, we aren't too keen on playing teenagers. This is why our mature recruits are more likely to get a game. The younger players have mostly had to wait.
Ed's still a teenager, so it's not like we are afraid to play the kids.
Harvey was 19 when he debuted last year
Jakob Ryan was still 18 when he played his first and only game last year

More spin than Shane Warne.

Bringing in the the fringe players and the kids was hardly the disaster you claimed it would be.

Their presence has refreshed the squad, put selection pressure on and galvanised the group as a whole…

and we’ve learned that in several roles the depth is capable

So jog on

You're the only one trying to spin anything. As recently as 7 April:

Said it weeks ago, say it again…

No longer a top 4 team.

Time to phase out some of the old heads and persevere more with some of the kids

and April 19:

Have too many over 30s lining up each week for mediocre results.

Too many 200 plus gamers… not enough sub 50 gamers

I’d rather mediocre results cause they backed a promising kid like Allan

Than stuck with the same bunch of veterans hoping things will change

Your entire bent at the time was we weren't a top 4 prospect anymore and we should give the kids a go at the expense of the 30+ and/or 200+ game players like Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Howe, Mitchell, and WHE, and at the expense of results.

Pendles - played every game, likely top 3 in the Copeland
Sidey - played every game other than the Brisbane match (R3)
WHE - played every game other than the St Kilda game (R2)
Howe - played every game other than GWS (R0) and Crows (R10)
Mitchell - the only player in the cohort who has been in and out of the side playing 6 of the possible 10 (3W-1D-2L)

You just went early calling for a rebuild when most of us responded that the kids will get their opportunities, injuries will happen.

Last edited:

Ed's still a teenager, so it's not like we are afraid to play the kids.
Harvey was 19 when he debuted last year
Jakob Ryan was still 18 when he played his first and only game last year
Yes, there are exceptions, but we haven't played them extensively. Even this year, when we suffered injuries we turned to the older players as backup first.

It's not an aversion to playing young players. It's against playing anyone who's not ready. Most teenagers aren't, either not being strong enough or not fit enough. It's the reason that even Macrae and McInnes have had limited opportunities.

Allan getting picked is a good sign for him. He'd be the strongest and fittest of our teenagers so not really surprising.

Excited to see the debutants.
Way I see it is:

Mihochek in for McInnes
McCreery in for DeGoey
Allan in for WHE

Would surely have to be someone off halfback or the back group for Parker so I am assuming based on form it’s Markov…

Would assume one of Parker or Allan to be sub.

The 23 is still good enough to get the chocolates. Love the unpredictability.

Sullivan and Richards have shown enough to feel they are reliable in their positions.
Macrae getting more and more game time.

Harrison is a star in the making.

Have faith my brethren.

Way I see it is:

Mihochek in for McInnes
McCreery in for DeGoey
Allan in for WHE

Would surely have to be someone off halfback or the back group for Parker so I am assuming based on form it’s Markov…

Sullivan and Richards have shown enough to feel they are reliable in their positions.

Have faith my brethren.
Wonder if Quaynor's knee is the reason for the extra defender.

Way I see it is:

Mihochek in for McInnes
McCreery in for DeGoey
Allan in for WHE

Have faith my brethren.
Thanks for the level headed comment - hoping you're spot on.

(Nice for Allan if he plays a full game in front of his folks but that's just a personal thing not necessarily a best team thing).

Nah, reckon it was fairly obvious during the game his groin was a problem. Particularly the further the game went on.

Couldn’t move laterally at all really.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he is out for quite a while.

Why would the club bother lying about an Ab strain?

Considering we all knew about the groin, why wouldn't they just say that?

Last edited:
Really Grundy?

I only mentioned after the baby, because his partner doesn't hide how much she pines for the warmer weather in Qld, calls it home & it's where a lot of their family & friends live. In that context it makes a little more sense as to why they'd want to move back with their little family.

And he did only sign on for a 1 year extension. Perhaps he'd be more than happy with what he's achieved at the Pies. He's a kooky guy, anything is possible with Leggy.
If Markov does choose to return to Queensland, I’d imagine the club would help him get to Gold Coast without too much fuss.

Straight swap for Witts…

You're the only one trying to spin anything. As recently as 7 April:

and April 19:

Your entire bent at the time was we weren't a top 4 prospect anymore and we should give the kids a go at the expense of the 30+ and/or 200+ game players like Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Howe, Mitchell, and WHE, and at the expense of results.

Pendles - played every game, likely top 3 in the Copeland
Sidey - played every game other than the Brisbane match (R4)
WHE - played every game other than the St Kilda game (R3)
Howe - played every game other than GWS (R0) and Crows (R10)
Mitchell - the only player in the cohort who has been in and out of the side playing 6 of the possible 10 (3W-1D-2L)

You just went early calling for a rebuild when most of us responded that the kids will get their opportunities, injuries will happen.

They weren’t a top 4 team then… they were a bottom 6 in the comp… and that was also reflected in all the stats

So it’s been a mighty turn around

Helped by the fact that other then top 4 teams like Cats, Demons, Giants have dropped off

Ladder position has changed… but my points about how playing youth and fringe players remain

It’s seems most on here can comprehend that.

And the recent success of the new players flies in the face of all that you have said about playing these players prematurely, their development, hurting their confidence etc

So I can see why you are bent out of shape

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They weren’t a top 4 team then… they were a bottom 6 in the comp… and that was also reflected in all the stats

So it’s been a mighty turn around

Helped by the fact that other then top 4 teams like Cats, Demons, Giants have dropped off

Ladder position has changed… but my points about how playing youth and fringe players remain

It’s seems most on here can comprehend that.

And the recent success of the new players flies in the face of all that you have said about playing these players prematurely, their development, hurting their confidence etc

So I can see why you are bent out of shape
As you say, a mighty turnaround— achieved not by wholesale replacement of the old with the new, but by attention to the basics and blending youth and experience as the opportunity and need arose.

If Markov does choose to return to Queensland, I’d imagine the club would help him get to Gold Coast without too much fuss.

Straight swap for Witts…

Didn’t Gold Coast delist him? Why would they take back a player they delisted?

I’m happy for Wil Parker. But if a lad who has only played ~4 career VFL games is already being selected ahead of Jacob Ryan, surely that doesn’t bode well for Jacob Ryan?

And surely something must be going on behind the scenes with Ash Johnson if he hasn’t been getting a game with all of our forward line outs? He was selected for 2 games earlier in the season, didn’t do much (5 disposals and 1 point total between the two games), got dropped and hasn’t been seen since.

It won't surprise me, we are going to need a defensive forward and there's no reason why Dean can't do it. Just has to do what Frampton did in the GF. Plus he can take a mark and is no stranger to playing KF in previous years
Well as other posters noted , he doesnt have many defensive skills in his basket. He is the worst one on one defender i have seen for a while, so would be a useless "defensive forward" , but who knows he may make a good "offensive forward"

Great to see Allan get a chance.

Then a real googly thrown in by the selectors with Parker. Go well young lad.

For those making fun of JDG for the abdominal groin concussion, I can say it is a serious and painful condition. Why, only last week I was entertaining friends by performing the "helicopter" with my high pressure vein cane and the end slapped into my abdomen so hard I passed out. I am out of footy for three weeks and mattress work for longer and I gotta say my thinking has been a bit fuzzy ever since. So be careful out there guys and don't become a statistic like Jordy.

BTW, I have since taken to calling it "the Truth" so we can reenact the climactic scene from A Few Good Men as foreplay. I am Col Jessup, to be clear.

I see what you did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back