Game Day Round 11 vs. Fremantle, OS, 8:10pm Friday 24/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You made comments in the build up to the WC match that the team we were putting out there was crap. This weekend will be worse, against much better opposition, on their home deck and off our second consecutive 6 day break. I would regard this as our best win under Fly if we pull it off and I unfortunately think we’re in for a touch up.

I’m inclined to think the same but our coaching group has proven that they mean it when they say we’re a system based team with players filling roles within in (bar Nick and Pendles, you can’t replace what they bring like for like).

Also think in a twisted way it’s good to have fresh players coming in because everyone was looking cooked in the second half of the crows game. Even without injuries the consecutive 6 day breaks would have taken a toll on our older players. I imagine they brought Allan in for that reason as he can run all day.

Keeping some hope!

I’m happy for Wil Parker. But if a lad who has only played ~4 career VFL games is already being selected ahead of Jacob Ryan, surely that doesn’t bode well for Jacob Ryan?

And surely something must be going on behind the scenes with Ash Johnson if he hasn’t been getting a game with all of our forward line outs? He was selected for 2 games earlier in the season, didn’t do much (5 disposals and 1 point total between the two games), got dropped and hasn’t been seen since.
With AJ the huge Social Media vilification he was subjected to earlier in the year was huge set back.

There is none, but that wasn’t my point. We’re now getting a look at what some on here were screaming for 6 weeks ago and I believe this week will be instructive on the intelligence of those posts. Hopefully they were the geniuses, but I’m afraid that’s unlikely.
Their genius todate (with the inclusions of Sullivan, HH, Richards and Macrae) won’t be undone if Allan and Parker have a bad game.

Their genius todate (with the inclusions of Sullivan, HH, Richards and Macrae) won’t be undone if Allan and Parker have a bad game.
Against WC and Adelaide (with JDG) in Melbourne? Blooding youth in those scenarios and coming away with the W is hardly being defined as genius. Fremantle at Optus is a completely different assignment. Also spare me that Sullivan and Richards were on the lips of those posters in Rd 3…

Last edited:
Against WC and Adelaide (with JDG) in Melbourne? Fremantle at Optus is a completely different assignment.
This week we’ll be bolstered by Mihoceck and Beau - so not sure that’s a net downgrade on JDG.
Yes it’s a very stiff test this week, but that just gives latitude in performance for the whole team, not just the kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week we’ll be bolstered by Mihoceck and Beau - so not sure that’s a net downgrade on JDG.
Yes it’s a very stiff test this week, but that just gives latitude in performance for the whole team, not just the kids.
Should those two get up it’s still a downgrade because whilst Beau and Brodie are cogs in our forward mix they aren’t as materially important as JDG. That’s without factoring in the loss of WHE either. The point remains those calling for youth 6 weeks ago weren’t geniuses based on those two performances. The step up in difficulty is like Rd 24 v QF last year it’s massive…

We're obviously about to pull the "Mihocek manoeuvre"... by which I don't mean playing Brodie Mihocek. I mean naming Charlie Dean at CHF and turning a VFL backman into a champion AFL forward.
Given he hasn't been training there and hasn't played that position in 5 years, I wouldn't have thought this would happen.

trained at FB yesterday while Frampton was in the ruck and DM had finished training

Gee whiz, this thread has escalated.

Leggy goes from best 22, into retirement. He's not the first footballer to become a Dad. I doubt he's retiring in his mid 20's.
Interesting though
All the new dads were well down on form at the start of the season
Crisp Leggy Sidey

Against WC and Adelaide (with JDG) in Melbourne? Blooding youth in those scenarios and coming away with the W is hardly being defined as genius. Fremantle at Optus is a completely different assignment. Also spare me that Sullivan and Richards were on the lips of those posters in Rd 3…
Think its also fair to mention that our core Midfield went ballistic over the last 3 weeks (including blues game).
Blooding any youth would have been fine with the level of clearance dominance (especially CB).

Not including Sullivan in this youth discussion. He's inexperienced, but he is far more advanced than the rest of them.

As you said, WC in Melb is meh (especially without Yeo and Waterman).
ADL is more of a challenge and as we saw, the influence the youth had in the win wasn't near the level of a more experienced player.
Probably could mount a case that they were all in the bottom 6-8.

Don't get me wrong, happy to see some of them play.
But not on the 'they're all awesome' train just yet.....there is a tipping point with the amount (and types) of youth.

Like you, would be surprised if we haven't reached it this week and we can somehow eek out a win.

Gee whiz, this thread has escalated.

Leggy goes from best 22, into retirement. He's not the first footballer to become a Dad. I doubt he's retiring in his mid 20's.
Plenty on here are suggesting he'll be delisted after a slow start to the year.

I think that's an escalation.

There is none, but that wasn’t my point. We’re now getting a look at what some on here were screaming for 6 weeks ago and I believe this week will be instructive on the intelligence of those posts. Hopefully they were the geniuses, but I’m afraid that’s unlikely.
What would it say about those posts if it nets us the same result we got in the first three weeks?

You made comments in the build up to the WC match that the team we were putting out there was crap. This weekend will be worse, against much better opposition, on their home deck and off our second consecutive 6 day break. I would regard this as our best win under Fly if we pull it off and I unfortunately think we’re in for a touch up.
I did say the team was crap or thereabouts and they won. Then they beat Adelaide. I don't really see how we can beat Fremantle with our further weakened team but I am not prepared to be too critical of the side or its chances. We do pull off some unlikely wins.

What would it say about those posts if it nets us the same result we got in the first three weeks?
I guess that’s up to each person to decide. My POV would be the same as it was back then that it’s fine to introduce guys here and there, but there’s a critical mass where it becomes unproductive. I think we reached that tipping point two weeks back and have been lucky to catch the two teams we have when we have. Hopefully that luck holds and we don’t get a Carlton v Sydney result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back