Game Day Round 11 vs. Fremantle, OS, 8:10pm Friday 24/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you one of the best ball movement teams? Thought you guys did a lot of sideways chipping?

Interesting to see you’re top 2 in total clearances but bottom 5 in centre clearances (Brisbane the same)
yeah we have a lot of good clearance players fyfe, serong, young, brayshaw, omeara even jackson and darcy do a fair bit etc.

but, they are all kinda slow. so, center clearances can be a weakness

the transition from defensive fifty to forward 50 i think.

So you get it into forward 50 from defence the most often?

Freo reminds me of Collingwood under Bucks - not that surprising considering Longmire was from us. Really strong defensive structures and a lot of good players, but you move it too slowly to give the forwards a chance. You might get it into 50 a lot, but not quickly enough.

i've been asking a lot of opposition teams what they think of fremantle at the moment. opposition people being subjective. so you guys are the latest.

i can't work us out.
we are statistically the best ball movement team of the last 6 weeks. have one of the best midifields and defenses in the league. but we sit outside the 8. i can't work us out.

what do you guys think?

i've been asking a lot of opposition teams what they think of fremantle at the moment. opposition people being subjective. so you guys are the latest.

i can't work us out.
we are statistically the best ball movement team of the last 6 weeks. have one of the best midifields and defenses in the league. but we sit outside the 8. i can't work us out.

what do you guys think?
I’ll be honest, I don’t watch freo heaps. But I’d say a lack of goal kicking/scoring from midfield, lack of quality smalls (Sonny is old), and your KPF are still young. I really rate serong and young however

With all that said, we are very gettable with our current outs. One that seems to have been forgotten is Mcstay.

Longmuir has flagged that he’ll be sending someone to Nick.

If I was to take a guess, it’d either be Young or Aish. We need to try manipulate this. Hopefully Crisp and Pendles get off the chain.

Although if I was the oppo coach, I’d be tagging Pendles, as he’s the conductor and will lead the troops to victory. Nick will still find the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Freo reminds me of Collingwood under Bucks - not that surprising considering Longmire was from us. Really strong defensive structures and a lot of good players, but you move it too slowly to give the forwards a chance. You might get it into 50 a lot, but not quickly enough.
The only teams with less inside 50's than Freo this season are West Coast, Richmond and North so I would say they dont get it in enough combined with their poor goal kicking (dead last)

Interesting. How much more time would you give him? He’s 22 years old former 1st round draft pick, who has been on our list for four years, during which time he has played (some portion of) nearly 20 AFL games and I imagine double that number of VFL games. A rookie he ain’t. IMO the likelihood of him crossing a threshold number of games and suddenly blossoming actually reduces rather than increases with the more games he plays at this age without it happening. He’s contracted for 2025, so I guess he’s safe for a while yet but others are overtaking him in the pecking order pretty quickly.

50 games is the magical number for me, but I take your point. I think we’ll struggle to bring in high end talent on mass over the next couple of seasons, we just don’t have the picks and our cap will only free up as we are losing players anyway.

I’d prefer to keep him and see what he can develop in to. Two years of COVID would not have helped either.

50 games is the magical number for me, but I take your point. I think we’ll struggle to bring in high end talent on mass over the next couple of seasons, we just don’t have the picks and our cap will only free up as we are losing players anyway.

I’d prefer to keep him and see what he can develop in to. Two years of COVID would not have helped either.

You’re right about us having a weak drafting and trading hand. To me though, that means we actually need to be more aggressive and ruthless in our list management, in order to free up more spots for use in the mid season draft, supplementary selections and every other route possible to uncover more Noble-like bargains to improve our list. Tall players typically take longer but for midfielder types, IMO they need to cement a spot faster than 4-5 years on our list.

Last edited:
Assuming no random injuries/rest

In: Mihocek, Beau, Allan, Parker
Out: De Goey, WHE, Reef, Macrae

FB: Quaynor - Frampton - Maynard
HB: Markov - Moore - Sidebottom
C: Lipinski - Crisp - Jaicos
HF: Harrison - Cox - Beau
FF: Schultz - Mihocek - Bobby
RR: Cameron - Pendles - Naicos

Int: Sullivan - Noble - Richards - Allan
Sub: Parker

It's still a solid team on paper depending how much you rate some of the newer members
I have a feeling Kreuger gets added, along with Brodie M this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freddy in the ruck is a scary proposition.
Yeah, would only be short stints like cox does if anything.
It was interesting that in training yesterday it was him v frampton in the ruck after DC and Cox finished up early. So I wonder if one of them might be rested.

Yeah, would only be short stints like cox does if anything.
It was interesting that in training yesterday it was him v frampton in the ruck after DC and Cox finished up early. So I wonder if one of them might be rested.
I'm just fearful for the surrounding midfielders.. he doesn't need much time to cause damage our Freddy.

If I was to take a guess, it’d either be Young or Aish. We need to try manipulate this. Hopefully Crisp and Pendles get off the chain.

Although if I was the oppo coach, I’d be tagging Pendles, as he’s the conductor and will lead the troops to victory. Nick will still find the ball.

If either of them play on him, I’d be sending Nick to the forward line. Would love him to kick a few goals tomorrow night.

Impressive deduction, have no idea if it is correct, but makes sense. Also slow mids, I think if I recall correctly our mids back then were all one paced.

Think either of those won't get it done.
The only time Nick has been shut out as a Mid was when JDG was also playing in there and a big body went to him.
It was a weekly occurrence at the start of the year (so much so we had to send him to HB to generate drive).

I'm really not sure how to go about it with tagging him at the moment.

When JDG was also in there, it seemed like a big body was the way to go.
But since JDG hasn't been in there and Nick can freely get on the move knowing he has cover....i don't really know how to go about it because nothing i've seen from the oppo in the last 3-4 weeks has come close to working.

His second and third efforts and follow-up require someone with speed. But he's been shut out via a bigger body early in the year. With a mindset of defense only. Because the second he gets space.....gone.
I just don't see who has this on the Freo list.

If they can crack that problem of how to stop him.....then whomever gets the gig will be high up in the coaches voting (regardless of how many stats they get).

Getting games into young guys and blooding others is a huge positive for the future.

Yes, we’re finally getting to see which of our reserves are genuinely up to it and which ones are not. Some will surprise on the upside, some won’t - but at least we’ll know and can speed up list re-shaping based on what is revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back